Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Move from Smart Premier to Secure plan?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
bmgoodman
Apprentice
Apprentice

I currently have 8 cameras (vmc3030 x4, vmc3040 x1, vmc4030 x3) with a vmb5000 hub on a smart premier plan I've been paying $100/year for (all 8 cams).  I see my plan renews in November, but it appears I will be billed $120/year from that point.

I have just added a VMC5030 5040 (4K) camera that is on a trial plan.  I see that my plan allows only 2K recording in the cloud.

I am considering staying with my current plan and accepting the 2K recording limitation (that only hinders my newest, VMC5030 camera).  But once November arrives, it looks like Smart Premier will be the same price as Secure.  I also saw a note that if I choose to "upgrade" that I "may lose features".  Well, they keep using that word, "upgrade".  I do not think it means what they think it means! 😉

Anyway, my questions:
1) Will Smart Premier really move to $120/year for me in November, rather than the $100 I've been paying?
2) If it goes to $120/year, which is the same as Secure, is there really anything I *lose* from Smart Premier?  Nothing seems obvious to me, but I want to be absolutely sure since they won't let me go back to Smart Premier if I change to Secure.  I will gain the ability to record 4K to the cloud, which is nice.
3) IF I wanted to move to Secure now, would I get a pro-rated refund for 7 months that I wouldn't be using of Smart Premier?  Or would that pro-rated portion be applied to my $120 bill?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bmgoodman wrote:

2) If it goes to $120/year, which is the same as Secure, is there really anything I *lose* from Smart Premier?  Nothing seems obvious to me, but I want to be absolutely sure since they won't let me go back to Smart Premier if I change to Secure.  I will gain the ability to record 4K to the cloud, which is nice.

You won't lose anything.

As far as 4K goes, if you are in the US then you would get that with Secure.  But in other countries you'd need Secure Plus to get 4K.

On pricing, the ~$120/year cost is assuming you get the annual plan.

bmgoodman
Apprentice
Apprentice

@StephenB, thanks for replying!  But do you know what happens if I try to move my plan now?  Pro-rated?  Or money lost?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bmgoodman wrote:

But do you know what happens if I try to move my plan now?  Pro-rated?  Or money lost?

With Arlo Secure, they no longer pro-rate when you cancel.  I suspect money lost with Arlo Smart, but I don't know for sure.