Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Modes are gone in new app, rendering several cameras USELESS!

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
perturbedUser
Guide
Guide

I only can use 3 modes in the new app, which makes several of my cameras useless. 

-I had a mode that allowed me to reduce sensitivity for multiple cameras when it was a windy day so I would not get a lot of false alierts

-I had a mode that allowed me to only turn on indoor cameras during a set schedule while I was sleeping so I would not get alerts during the day

-I had several other modes that were specialized for certain situations and these all cannot be done with the new app that only has 3 modes...

Why are we deleting features? This is making me want to switch to a competitor. I suspect the biggest Arlo customers have many custom modes for their cameras. You are upsetting your largest customers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
perturbedUser
Guide
Guide

The most upsetting part about this is that they can add those modes back without any disruption or confusion to the new/beginner users since the "extra" modes never show up anyway unless you deliberately add them.

They have also already written all of the code for it. It just needs an interface to the new UI!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

It has been said that the limited modes in the new UI is because of the arlo home security system only has three buttons on the keypad.

It would have been better if arlo used the third button to enable selecting a custom mode 0-9 to allow you to continue using them.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try using the reduced sensitivity setting in the first place. You may find that is sufficient.

perturbedUser
Guide
Guide

Not when I have to reduce the sensitivity for more than 10 cameras!!

perturbedUser
Guide
Guide

>It has been said that the limited modes in the new UI is because of the arlo home security system only has three buttons on the keypad.

>It would have been better if arlo used the third button to enable selecting a custom mode 0-9 to allow you to continue using them.

Three buttons are more simple, however, the option to add more does not make it more complex when you only have three buttons in the standard mode and you're not forced to add more.

They've essentially upset all of their "super users" by taking this away. These users are usually the champions for the product too.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

https://kb.arlo.com/000063025/Arlo-Keypad-Sensor-Hub-Product-Tour 

As you can see from the article above arlo altered the UI to exclude custom modes so that it matches the keypad mode operations.

It does suggest that arlo is only interested in gullible users.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, it's clear Arlo has heard the complaints on the new user interface - if they hadn't, then they would have already migrated all users to it.

IMO they do need a simple way to get the functionality of custom modes back.  Plus they need to re-think automations, as no one here can figure out how they are supposed to work.  

perturbedUser
Guide
Guide

The most upsetting part about this is that they can add those modes back without any disruption or confusion to the new/beginner users since the "extra" modes never show up anyway unless you deliberately add them.

They have also already written all of the code for it. It just needs an interface to the new UI!!