Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Invited friend cannot see devices on their dashboard (Arlo Pro 2)

sdmcgeown
Star
Star

I have seen numerous people posting similar issues but none of the solutions offered really address this problem. There are, at best, workarounds.

I am the main account holder for my Arlo secure account. I have a base station and three Arlo Pro 2 cameras.

All I want to do is share these with my wife's account so she can see the footage as well.

I used the Grant Access feature, selecting all the devices and base station, and it generated an invitation that was sent to my wife.

These are the three attempts we made:

1. She created an account on her App and followed the link. At the end of the process, no devices were visible on her dashboard.

2. We tried again, this time using a different email address. She used a Chrome browser this time on her Windows laptop and created a fresh new Arlo account from scratch. Again there were no devices on her dashboard (browser and app).

3. Finally, I tried myself - using my other email address as if I were a brand new user, going through the process from scratch on my Macbook's Safari browser. Again, I could see nothing appear on my dashboard.

In cases 2 and 3, I could see that the invite was accepted. In the first case (using the app on both my side and my wife's side), the invitation was marked as pending.

This shouldn't be difficult to do. We've tried the app, Windows and Macbook, so can probably rule out a specific platform with a problem.

What is the correct process to add another user? The current documented process does not work.

Thanks, Stephen

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

For the grant access feature to allow visibility to the shared account, both users need to be on the same version of the Arlo mobile app and UI experience. We're currently rolling out app updates for iOS and Android users, but all users may not have version 4.0 available to them just yet. If you have a support ticket open, I encourage you to continue working on a resolution with the support team. Otherwise, please send me a private message and I will assist further.

JamesC

155 REPLIES 155
AaronC2
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got it to work on mine. So follow that message that was sent from James to login add new device and click on home security to force your account to update to its the interface. After that is completed go on to devices to see your cameras on the top part where it says home it should have 2 tabs (unless it just mine) once the right one is selected to where your able to see the cameras it should work. Hopefully it does work or maybe I just got lucky lol.

Fulano
Star
Star

As I have posted twice now, there IS NO HOME SECURITY OPTION. We both have the latest version; we are both on iPhones with the most current iOS. 

Rar951
Aspirant
Aspirant

If on the primary account under the grant access page the "friend" status is under accepted I had the same issue and was able to find a fix. The problem is which location is being viewed on your friends app. On your "friends" phone do the following:  Click on HOME (on the center top section)  then select the shared location. Now you will be viewing you "Friends" location and not the primary location that was used to create the account. 

Fulano
Star
Star

Friends phone does not have a HOME. The ARLO interface does not work on iPhone 11 with the latest iOS 16.2 (and earlier). Friend is accepted and even gets push notifications of movement, but cannot see cameras not videos. Friends iPhone app only shows Add device option. Freind has no devices to add, as the devices are mine.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

SHaring requires that 1) the same version app is installed on all phones and 2) the same user interface is used on all phones. The lack of a Home selection strongly implies that the latter requirement hasn't been met. To fix this, all users need to select adding a new device and choosing either the Pro 5 camera or the security system. That will trigger a migration of the account after which you can cancel the installation. The shared cameras should then show.

Fulano
Star
Star

That would be a great solution. There is only one problem: We DO NOT HAVE a security system option nor a Pro 5 option. We are all using the same and latest version of the app and iOS on our phones. We pulled a trouble ticket 4 weeks ago, when we bought the ARLOs, and they have still been unable to fix the problem. But, every 3 days another ARLO tech sends me an email asking me to update and then asking me the very same questions over and over again. One would think that after 4 weeks they could just manually push the update to us.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Fulano wrote:

There is only one problem: We DO NOT HAVE a security system option nor a Pro 5 option. 

What country are you in?

Security system appears for me as a category when I select "add device", and Pro 5S shows up in the Pro camera list (after "add device").

I use iOS (iphone 12 mini), @jguerdat uses Android and obviously also sees these options.  Both of us are in the US though, and it is possible that these options aren't in all geographies.

Fulano
Star
Star

We're in the US.

ARLO support just sent me another email, asking me for the 5th time what iPhone, iOS and app version we are using. It's simply amazing, no matter how many times I answer that question, they just come back and ask it again.

The lights are on, but nobody is home. They cannot fix it.

Ecl0009
Initiate
Initiate

This isn’t correct. My mother and father in law both have the same phone. Same app version. Still can’t share it from one account to the next. We bought them a whole camera set up for Christmas, and only one of them can view the cameras. This is beyond frustrating. We’ve been arlo users for 5 years and have always loved them, until now. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Fulano wrote:

We're in the US.

This is puzzling, so I do get why they are confused. 

I am also in the US.  FWIW, when I select "add device" at the bottom of the main screen, I see this:

IMG_0780.PNG 

When I select the Cameras and then Pro, I see this:

IMG_0781.PNG

These screenshots were taken on an iPhone 12 Mini running iOS 16.1.2.  Though I just updated to iOS 16.2, and I am still seeing them.

The Arlo app is 4.0.2 (5309), and I do have the "Library" experience.

It might be useful if you post screenshots of what you are seeing on these pages.

mwmiles812
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem...

Marciejoy92
Aspirant
Aspirant

I desperately need this same help! Boss is away and needs me to be able to view cameras… we followed all steps, on her end all is “green” and access has been granted and full permissions allowed! Yet still I am unable to view any cameras, looks as though it’s a brand new account! Help 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the owner is on the new interface, you must be also. This also means you must be using the same version app.

Marciejoy92
Aspirant
Aspirant

Her and i both have the same versions.

and im pretty sure the same interface... what is the difference? and how can i tell.

thanks 🙂

Marciejoy92
Aspirant
Aspirant

Her and i both have 4.0.3 and i believe one from either her ipad or macbook shows a 4.0.2

(she shared screen shots of her versions i believe from her two devices)

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Marciejoy92 wrote:

and im pretty sure the same interface... what is the difference? and how can i tell.

The older one says "library" and "mode" on the main screen.  The newer one says "feed" and "dashboard".

theliuman
Tutor
Tutor

My wife and I are having the same issue, and when she tries to Add Device to force a UI migration, the Security System/Pro 5S does not exist.

However, her iPhone 12 is currently on iOS 14.6 (she has some issues upgrading to newer iOS versions).

theliuman_1-1674535798335.png

I really hope a new version of the iOS App just automatically upgrades everyone so we can actually share.  It's ridiculous how buggy the software is.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@theliuman wrote:

My wife and I are having the same issue, and when she tries to Add Device to force a UI migration, the Security System/Pro 5S does not exist.

The migration has to be done from the primary account, not the friend account.

Are you saying you don't see the Pro 5s listed under the Pro cameras?

theliuman
Tutor
Tutor

The primary account (mine) has already been migrated and has the devices all set up, otherwise I wouldn’t even be able to add. 

On her iPhone, the 5S does not show up. Only up to 4. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@theliuman wrote:

On her iPhone, the 5S does not show up. Only up to 4. 

She shouldn't need to do anything to migrate, and she shouldn't be adding any cameras to her account.

Does your account show that the friend invite was accepted?

theliuman
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, my account shows accepted and she even gets notifications on the iPhone.  However, when she clicks to go into the app, it's empty and has the old UI.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

SHe also needs to migrate. Have her choose to add either the Pro 5 or security system on her app. That will force the migration. Once that's finished, simply cancel the installation. It doesn't matter if you have either of those devices since the whole purpose is to just migrate the account.

theliuman
Tutor
Tutor

Hi, in my above posts, I mentioned that her Arlo Secure app does NOT have the Pro 5S nor the Security System show up hence why I cannot help her do a forced migration - I believe another user also is having the same issue.

It's incredibly frustrating after spending so much on the Arlo hardware!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@theliuman wrote:

her Arlo Secure app does NOT have the Pro 5S nor the Security System

What version of the app is she running?

Have you tried removing/reinstalling the app?

theliuman
Tutor
Tutor

She has the latest ver, 4.0.4 and yup - I've tried re-installing it multiple times but to no avail.

I've also tried logging in under her account on the web version and it doesn't show any devices (I think it's the old UI too).