Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Introducing Arlo Secure - FAQ

Discussion stats
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Security and peace of mind has never been so easy. Arlo Secure is a new subscription service, allowing you to maximize home security with one plan that covers all of your security devices. Arlo Secure plans deliver smarter interactive alerts, advanced object detection, cloud activity zones and more! 

Arlo Secure Features.PNG

For total peace of mind, our new Arlo Secure Plus offering is equipped with a 24/7 Emergency Response Service. With one touch, dispatch fire, police, or medical responders to the cameras location.

Want to learn more about Arlo Secure? Take a look at the information and resources below:

What is Emergency Response and How do I use it?

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/arlosecure.html
New Arlo Secure Plan FAQs
What are the available Arlo subscription plans and how much cloud recording is available?
Where is Arlo Secure available?
How do I subscribe to Arlo Secure?
What options will I have when my Arlo free trial plan ends?
What is continuous video recording (CVR) and how do I use it?

If you have any questions about Arlo Secure, post down below and we'll get to you as soon as we can. If you need any more help on Arlo Secure or your Arlo Security System, visit Arlo Support for more information.
Thank you for being part of the Arlo family!

135 REPLIES 135
Normandroy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hugely confusing. Someone at Arlo needs to straighten this out.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Normandroy wrote:

Does subscribing to this make the devices that are now being labeled as End of Life continue to work?

As the KB article says, the EoL devices will not get firmware updates after the EoL date (either 1 April 2023 or 1 January 2024, depending on the camera).  

They should continue to work after that (at least for a while), though you would need a subscription to get cloud recordings.  But Arlo isn't promising that they will always work.  As they say in the KB article

• Services and cloud functionality may be reduced or unavailable for the device
  • Future services or features may be unavailable for the device

So you should think of the subscription as an interim step (you'd need one anyway if you replace the cameras with newer ones).  It likely won't turn out to be a long-term solution.

Theadore
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have two Arlo cameras that I have had for some time. I do not need any other security features at this time. Will my cameras continue to work or do I now need to buy into Arlo Secure to use them as I have been for years. Will I lose any features if I do not buy into Arlo Secure. I am sure it is great, I just have no need for more than just the cameras at this time. Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What camera models do you have? The oldest ones, up to the Pro 2, are now being declared end of life (EOL). That means firmware updates cease along with future incompatibilities with newer software/hardware. However, the free 7 day cloud recordings that the old cameras have had will still be available so it would seem that you're ok for the most part. See:

https://kb.arlo.com/000063018/Arlo-Legacy-Cameras-End-of-Life

https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf

DOLLAR_B
Aspirant
Aspirant

I HAVE 5 CAMERAS ON AN EXISTING ACCOUNT.   CAN I ADD CAMERAS AT A SECOND RESIDENCE WITH A DIFFERENT HUB AND WIFI TO MY EXISTING ACCOUNT?

Thanks 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DOLLAR_B,

Yes, but you will need to subscribe to an Arlo Secure plan to support more cameras. For more information on this, take a look here: https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-i...

JamesC

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DOLLAR_B wrote:

I HAVE 5 CAMERAS ON AN EXISTING ACCOUNT.   CAN I ADD CAMERAS AT A SECOND RESIDENCE WITH A DIFFERENT HUB AND WIFI TO MY EXISTING ACCOUNT?

Thanks 

Yes.  Though when you account gets migrated to show "Feed" in the main screen menu, you will need separate subscriptions.

If you have legacy cameras with 7-day free cloud storage - that is limited to 5 unsubscribed cameras per account.

Note that another option is to use two accounts, and then share the cameras so all cameras can be accessed from either account.

Pheems
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I have tried multiple times to pay for the subscription benefits, but it seems that I need to live in America? I live in Australia and have an Australian address only. Can anyone confirm please?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Pheems wrote:

Hi, I have tried multiple times to pay for the subscription benefits, but it seems that I need to live in America? I live in Australia and have an Australian address only. Can anyone confirm please?

Subscriptions are available in Australia.

SteveAB
Initiate
Initiate

I can't figure out how to set certain cameras to record motion without notifying me like I could under the old system. Seems like there is no way to customize modes like under the old system. 

The old system was much easier to use. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It basically works the same way, new vs. old, just in different places. Edit the appropriate mode and then the rule. In that rule you will see settings for motion and audio detection as well as "Then:" which defines what to do when detection occurs. One of those things is Send Notification which is used to determine whether to send any notification as well as which type.

It's worthwhile to spend some time in the new UI to just find things. Click on everything to see what happens but don't save if not desired.

rvd67
Guide
Guide

The hardware is great, but the software completely nullifies it to the point of rendering not practical in real life use. We have used Arlo cameras for 6-7 years now and been mostly satisfied until we purchased the latest greatest cameras, which again are really great. But the forced "upgrade" to the new software makes them practically unusable. Besides what you listed, simply viewing videos is painstaking......and isn't that THE main job for the software???

PREVIOUS APP

Large thumbnail listing of videos.

Click video and view larger, then swipe left to go to previous video or swipe right to go to next video. On web, click left arrow to go to next video, click right arrow to go to previous video.

You could zoom in and out on video and expand to full screen.

Easy to see videos with quick simple navigation All Gone!

NEW APP

Small thumbnails that don't reveal much.

Click thumbnail to view video. All navigation has been removed. You cannot view next or previous videos.......and here's where it gets good.

You have no choice but to X out and it takes you back to the TOP of the small thumbnail video list. You have to try and remember the exact time of the video you were viewing then scroll down through the small thumbnails to find the video with that time to then view the next or previous one. Man, that was a pain in the A$$ to even type......imagine having to do that for every video!

Completely unacceptable and it doesn't seem like any response or fix is coming, so I'm trying to figure out an exit strategy that doesn't involve me losing my shirt.

tesla360
Initiate
Initiate

@JamesC , you indicate 'yes' that a single Arlo Secure plan subscription will support multiple cameras in multiple locations, however the documentation you reference indicates otherwise ('Note: Unlimited camera support plans apply only to Arlo cameras at a single residential location and on the same Arlo account').

Which is it? Can we have multiple cameras in multiple locations (and how many) as we did in old plans (Arlo Smart Premier) or has this feature been removed at the same price point?

Thank you for the clarification.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tesla360,

This behavior depends on which version of the Arlo app you have. In the older version of the Arlo Secure mobile app, Arlo Secure subscriptions are applied at the account level, which allows for this to take place. In the new 4.X experience, subscriptions are applied to a location, so if you have multiple locations, you will need a subscription plan for each if you wish to benefit from the features of a subscription plan in those locations. You can read more about this here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062778/What-are-Locations-in-the-Arlo-Secure-app-and-how-do-I-use-them

JamesC

tesla360
Initiate
Initiate

OK, thank you @JamesC . So, to be clear for those on this forum, the feature of allowing multiple locations for cameras on a single account has been removed/discontinued in the updated 4.X app. Not happy about that at all, but thank you for the confirmation.

Orca122
Initiate
Initiate

I have an Arlo Pro SmartHub (VMB4540) for my doorbell and two exterior cameras - I am thinking I want to add the Arlo home security package.  Will these two work together? 

Thanks for your help, 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes. I have a similar setup to yours.

beezle
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am trying to figure out if a problem I am having with one camera is a problem with that camera or a limitation of the Secure plan that just started happening yesterday.  I have 5 cameras in one location (2nd home) and one camera at my regular home.  The one at my regular home is the one with the issue - it is a Wireless Essential Spotlight camera VMC2030.

Yesterday evening, it stopped connecting.  I know there are 'supposed' to be limitations that allow only one location for the Secure account, but it has always worked for both my locations for the past few years.  I don't know why yesterday evening it would have stopped connecting.  It is fully charged, I have tried resetting it, deleting it from my account and re-adding it, and it still just shows that it is offline.  Oddly, I could only get the blue light to blink for the reset when it was plugged into the charger.

Any idea if these are symptoms of a camera problem or a limitation of the Secure account that just started happening?  I don't want to set up another Secure account only to find out the camera is the problem, and I don't want to by another camera only to find out it is a Secure account limitation that is causing it.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

beezle,

Just to clarify, you can remove the camera from your account, reset it and then successfully go through onboarding to add the camera back to the account and then it shows offline? Does it ever at any point show as online? Is it dropping offline later after onboarding?

JamesC

beezle
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi James -

I was able to remove it, do the reset, add it back on successfully, but it never shows online.  Just sits with 'Connecting' message.

beezle
Apprentice
Apprentice

I tried again this morning.  I am 90% sure there is a problem with my camera.  I tried to reset it again this morning (removed from my account first), and again they sync button would do nothing.  I plugged it into the charger.  Once I plugged it in, it blinked blue then changed to solid blue like it had charged.  I tried the sync button again while it was still plugged in and now it has been blinking slow amber for about 10 minutes.   I unplugged it and the Amber light went out.  I tried the reset again (with it not plugged in) and I was able to begin the process of adding back into my account.  It found the camera ok, but the 'Checking for Updates' resulted in 'Firmware could not be updated' error.  I think it is time for a new camera.  This one is just acting squirrelly.  It is a few years old so no longer under warranty.  

beezle
Apprentice
Apprentice

Update to above post.....

Ok, very odd now.....  I had not done anything with it since a few hours ago, and I noticed it blinking, so I tried to add it to my account again.  This time it did not fail on the 'Checking for Updates' step and was able to connect and get it working now.  No idea what happened by it seems to be ok for the moment.

beezle
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok, it stayed connected and on my account for about 25 minutes, and was working fine while it was there, but then I got a notification that it did a factory reset and it is gone from my account again.

wray214
Initiate
Initiate

Hi, I just need help getting my devices to download on my Android phone.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

wray214,

After downloading the Arlo Secure mobile app and creating a new account, you can tap the "+" icon in the top right corner of the devices screen to start adding Arlo devices.

For more information on this, read here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062755/How-to-set-up-Arlo-Cameras

JamesC