Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How do you change the base station wifi channel?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Joshbrogan
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do I change the wifi channel the base station is on? It follows my home wifi channel and causes interference.

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Joshbrogan wrote:

How do I change the wifi channel the base station is on? It follows my home wifi channel and causes interference.

You can't change it (and it is designed to follow your home wifi channel).  However, interference is often just because the base is too close to the router.  I suggest moving it as far away as the cable will reach, and see if that helps.

Some folks have gotten an inexpensive wifi extender, and placed it near the base (keeping the base well away from the router).   Then set the channel of the extender to something different from their normal wifi.  (I agree this isn't ideal, I'm just passing on what some others have done).

Joshbrogan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the response but this seems to be a terrible design. Time to take it back to the store.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Joshbrogan wrote:

Thanks for the response but this seems to be a terrible design. 

Definitely an unusual approach to channel selection - it goes back to the days when Arlo was still part of Netgear, and the approach came from the Netgear WiFi team.

I haven't seen wifi interference in my own setup, so I do suggest moving the base about 6 feet from the router, and see if that changes things.  A strong enough signal will overload the electronics of most wifi receivers.