Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

How do you remove the old devices from the arrive/leave settings in the new app?  After I upgrade I not only see my phone and iPad but I have 2 more devices named “iPhone” & “iPad”.  Even worse my wife’s devices are showing a duplicate so I’m not even sure which one is actually her phone.  When the app updated to the new UI today my geofencing devices went from 4 in the old app experience to 8 now.  Very annoying to say the least.  I already went into 2 factor and deleted devices but that did nothing in Geofencing.  I also deleted and reinstalled the app and removed my wife and added her back.  Do I need to contact support to delete these out?  I don’t mind seeing my iPad but the duplicates and rogue entries are a problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When motion no longer can be detected or the timed recording hits the end, the camera stops recording. There's then a short reset period (likely 5 seconds, +/-) before it will detect again. Also, the CAMERA has to do the detecting, not your eyes, with best detection across the FOV, like any other device that uses PIR sensors, and not at the camera.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
DogWatchMe
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is a byproduct of the new Version 4.x app interface.  It is a SW defect.  Apparently, the development team is aware of the issue, but it causes problems with the geofencing.  I am having the same issue.  Very annoying.  I guess we wait to see if it gets fixed.  I'm betting that there is nothing support can do to fix it for you.  I'm thinking the development team is going to have to address the issue to get things corrected.  I never saw this issue in Version 3.x of the app interface; geofencing worked fine for me in the Version 3.x interface.  

Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think I might have figured mine out with trial and error.  The funny thing is the device that matches my phones name was not the correct one.  Looks like it was just the one saying iPhone for both myself and my wife.  Not very user friendly that's for sure, LOL.  Still need them to allow custom modes like before though.  Can't figure out how to have two modes for at home use.  One night mode and one for during the day.  

IMG_0593.jpeg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Eyball Can't figure out how to have two modes for at home use.  One night mode and one for during t...

You can also use Standby as a 3rd mode if you need. The names are generic and don't actually prevent you from using them as you wish. I use Armed Home for daytime and Armed Away for night and then create 2 schedules to switch modes (a schedule only allows you to do one thing so you have to use one to set a certain mode and another to set the other.

@Eyball

Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks!  I figured that out last night but it’s still not ideal for me as I have one inside camera that I only want armed when I’m truly not home.  Right now that camera is not included in any modes otherwise it would get triggered at night.  Any idea if there is a delay after recording motion now?  My kids came home today and it recorded the first kid but not the second that was maybe 30 seconds behind?  Anyway, thanks for the replies.  Much appreciated!

DogWatchMe
Apprentice
Apprentice

You might be able to play around with these settings,  ..

1. Tap on Devices from home screen.
  2. Tap on the device you are interested in tweaking.
  3. Tap on the gear icon (upper right).
  4. Tap on Default Mode Settings.

You'll see these "Recording Length" parameters:

image0.png

Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yeah it’s really weird never had this issue with my pro 2 cameras.  Did it again today as well.  My kid walks up to the house it triggers the recording and then cuts out while my 2nd kid is walking up the driveway.  Clearly there was still motion happening.  🤦‍♂️

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When motion no longer can be detected or the timed recording hits the end, the camera stops recording. There's then a short reset period (likely 5 seconds, +/-) before it will detect again. Also, the CAMERA has to do the detecting, not your eyes, with best detection across the FOV, like any other device that uses PIR sensors, and not at the camera.

Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yeah that’s what it is for sure just seams slightly longer and the motion seamed like the camera should have detected it.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My suggestion would be to go test it yourself, changing the distance as well as the angle of approach. You may want to switch to a timed recording rather than record until motion stops.

brokencloud
Star
Star

I’ve tried numerous times to re install the app on smart phones and create unique trusted device names for my families iphones. No matter what you do if your iPhone is in the default apple format of “<persons names>’s iphone” the phone will just show up as “iphone”. If you have a family of iPhones it is impossible to determine who’s is who’s.

what terrible software. Why not use the custom “trusted name” that you force your customers to type in each time they install the app.

can I have my money back yet? Arlo software is terrible.

so I can’t select specific people as I don’t know who they are. The app is the worst UX experience. It is so unclear what each function is meant to do. Am I meant to create actions that go from “home armed” to “away armed”, I can’t even tell and I don’t care. Too hard Arlo.

IMG_2119.png