Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Disable mode change notification - we are startled & waken up to system Armed notifications

Discussion stats
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I use a routine to Arm Home at midnight, and then switch to Standby in early morning. 
Now I get woken to an Arlo notification in my phone when the automation runs and the system is Armed and then unarmed. 

Please disable these! We wake up to an Arlo alert, which can be frightening, only to see our system as armed like we wanted it to. 

Or give us the option to disable such non-useful notifications. 

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

We appreciate and are reviewing the feedback provided about the recent enhancement for mode change notifications. The details provided in this thread and others has been shared with the relevant teams internally. I will provide an update here once I have more information available to share.

JamesC

104 REPLIES 104
Brewgod23
Guide
Guide

The easy fix for this issue is to just roll back the software update to the version that did not have this feature. Done and everyone is happy.

Ron-R
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, I thought about doing that.  But a roll-back presents 2 problems:

1/ no clue which version of the app update actually brought in this undesired 'feature'; as it has been doing this annoying push notification for 4 or 5 months or so

2/ we lose all the other good software updates that have come in

Agree a roll-back might work, but what the community is asking for is for Arlo to deploy a customer-oriented solution that fixes the problem.

1919prd
Initiate
Initiate

I do hope they do something about this.  We have two houses and we use Arlo at one of them to monitor it when we are not there.  We were thinking about adding Arlo to our primary house but have now decided against it due to this issue.  There is no need to notify us for changing modes manually or scheduled.  My children are users on the app and everyone is getting notified.  Some of us have turned off notifications but that defeats the purpose of having the cameras.  

GoBraves
Apprentice
Apprentice

ARLO has no plans to fix this. There have been TWO updates released since this started happening to me and I’ve seen where it started as far back as MAY for some people. ARLO knows we are not happy with this AND they’ve had ample time to fix it. If you had any plans to fix it it would already be taken care of. 

GoBraves
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok @Arlo, so that’s the third update since turning on the Mandatory Mode change notifications with the August update. You haven’t made any progress with turning them off or giving the end user control over notifications and I don’t think you have any plans to. Your people say you are listening to our feedback yet here you are, DOING NOTHING!!!

Oh well, gonna be your loss…

GoBraves
Apprentice
Apprentice

So it’s been 3 months or so since ARLO forced these notifications upon us. Multiple updates since and yet here we are still subjected to the ridiculous and unnecessary notifications. Do ARLO have any plans to get off their ass and listen to their customers??? 

RightYouAreKen
Tutor
Tutor

Adding my voice to the displeased with this "enhancement".  Far from an enhancement, it has almost completely negated the ability to use motion notifications for my family at night.  We want to be able to have our cameras alert us when there is motion in the back yard at night for security purposes.  However occasionally we need to let our dogs out at night while the other partner is still sleeping.  We NEED the ability to be able to silently switch modes so that the dogs/person don't trigger motion alerts and wake the other person.  Now, with these stupid forced mode change notifications, we can't even disarm the system without an alert waking the sleeping person.  So dumb.  We've basically reverted to disabling motion notifications on certain cameras so we can sleep peacefully, which significantly reduces the usefulness of the system.  If you're trying to drive customers away from your brand, these forced "enhancements" are doing a great job of it.

GoBraves
Apprentice
Apprentice

No ARLO doesn’t care. They have  had approximately 3 months to fix this. There have been multiple updates in which they could have turned the notifications off just like they turned them on. @Arlo  is very aware that we HATE these notifications but they refuse to acknowledge their mistake. 

Ron-R
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was in touch with Arlo on this last week.  I have had a "case" opened for 6 months.  They keep telling me "we know about the issue and are working on it".

Kinda scary that they created this notification earlier this year but now can't seem to figure out how to turn it off ??

GoBraves
Apprentice
Apprentice

I wholeheartedly agree! While my issues started back with the August update, I have seen where people were complaining about this issue as far back as May. I escalated a ticket to IT also but it has apparently fallen on deaf ears. I think I may create another one. Either way I am currently shopping for a new camera system and hope to have it installed prior to my subscription runout with @Arlo. want to get away from having to charge batteries and all the aggravation that is encompassed with that.  

GoBraves
Apprentice
Apprentice

Did ARLO ever get back to you? I’m ready to set my whole system on fire!

1919prd
Initiate
Initiate

They never did.  We ended up installing different cameras at my primary house and moving the Arlos to my cabin.  We just do not arm them so they are for occasional viewing only.  Kind off a waste.  

GoBraves
Apprentice
Apprentice

NICE. I just spent about 30 minutes in a chat just to be told uninstalling and reinstalling the app would solve the mode change notifications issue. Guess what? It didn’t. Just like I told them it wouldn’t. So, I’m in the market for a power over Ethernet system so that I never have to worry about charging batteries again and don’t have to disarm rearm every time I want to go outside. 

Ron-R
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, Arlo helpdesk has told me a couple of times that their “internal team“ is working on it. I have heard the same thing for six months. One tends to lose faith in a company when they make a software change and then can’t figure out how to undo that same change! 

GoBraves
Apprentice
Apprentice

 Yep. They told me the same thing. No timeframe but they’ve had at least 6 months since I first notified them. Oh well, their loss!

IMG_9293.png

GoBraves
Apprentice
Apprentice

I also like how you can't find a phone number for Arlo support anymore. I have spoken with them multiple times in the past as well as used the chat service. Now the chat is the only way to contact them. They claim they have made the proper team aware but I think it's just appeasement to get rid of you for a period of time hoping that you will just let it go. NOPE, not me. April 14, 2024 my account will be done with ARLO. This is your notification. You've had 6 months to FIX this ridiculous issue. Instead you would rather lose customers. 

GoBraves
Apprentice
Apprentice

My reply to Arlos most recent email regarding the current situation.
I HAVE BEEN PATIENT FOR 6 MONTHS. YOUR TEAMS HAVE HAD 6 MONTHS TO CORRECT THIS PROBLEM. I AM VERY QUICKLY RUNNING OUT OF PATIENCE AND THE DESIRE TO REMAIN A PAYING CUSTOMER. IF YOUR TEAMS CARED IN THE LEAST LITTLE BIT YOU WOULD BE LISTENING TO EVERYONE WHO TAKES THE TIME TO NOTIFY YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE, POST ON YOUR MESSAGE BOARDS AND POST REVIEWS IN YOUR APP SITE. YOU CANT DENY THAT YOU ARE AWARE OF THE ISSUE AND HAVE BEEN FOR A LONG TIME. ARLO, ITS BEYOND TIME TO GET THIS FIXED OR YOU ARE GOING TO LOSE MORE CUSTOMS. TAG, YOU’RE IT!

Arlos email,

Case Update

Dear James,

Case Number: 43849062

Inquiry: Turn off or disable the Armed/Standby mode change notification in the Arlo App.

Good day, Hope you are doing good.

My name is Arul sending this email on behalf of Arlo support. This email is to notify you that you have recently called Arlo for support regarding the Turn off or disable the Armed/Standby mode change notification in the Arlo App.

Thanks for your prompt response. Our engineering team is working on this issue. We don't have any exact ETA for the issue been resolved. I request your patience.

GoBraves
Apprentice
Apprentice

ARLO keeps sending me emails referring to the case number I opened a while back. I am pestering the crap out of them. I keep replying with the same or similar info every time. Occasionally I will add an edited screenshot from the app of the notifications that they are forcing on us. I’m hoping this new tactic gets somewhere. Fingers crossed…

MrA2u1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just adding my 2¢. I see this thread started in May, 8 months ago. ARLO TEAM, this is a big deal. Waking up my wife when I'm leaving at 5am is not acceptable. I need to be able to disable for 5 minutes and re-enable after I leave without notifications waking her up like it was in previous app versions. I did an app review mentioning this and they asked my to report it here. Disappointing to see how long it's been being working on.

GoBraves
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes! It’s a real big deal. My wife has to work out of town once a month and it’s always in a different time zone so yes being able to disable the system and not disturb other people would be real nice. I just don’t understand what would take so long to undo this change. 
I also heavily suggest that you actually contact Arlo directly and file a complaint. They will give you a case number and will send email updates. I update the case every week with the same reply. I’m hoping they will eventually get this fixed. Fingers Crossed!!

Ron-R
Apprentice
Apprentice

This has been going on for 8+ months and for 5 months they claim to be working in it.  They conclusion I have come to is that we are seeing the limitations of their technical competence, unfortunately. 

GoBraves
Apprentice
Apprentice

Personally I think you are giving ARLO too much credit for their technical competence. I believe they made a decision and they are sticking with it. Even if it means losing customers and revenue. I’ve already informed them I will not renew my subscription in April if they don’t have this fixed before then. I know they really don’t care what one person thinks but maybe if they lose enough money they’ll rethink their decisions. 

Imdonewiththis
Initiate
Initiate

Yeah…this issue on top of just terrible ui/ux….I’m pulling the plug and find a different system. I’m not going keep paying for garbage. 

GoBraves
Apprentice
Apprentice

Chat experience Feb 1, 2024IMG_9454.jpeg

IMG_9453.png

IMG_9452.png

IMG_9451.png

IMG_9450.jpeg

IMG_9449.png

IMG_9448.png

IMG_9447.png

Brewgod23
Guide
Guide

If rolling back the software to the version before this terrible update would cause us to lose the good updates, I think it would be worth it. This is the worst update ever with so many unsatisfied customers. It would be better to have the bugs than pissed off customers. Unbelievable.