Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
BigBrother
Apprentice
Apprentice

This has been an extremely frustrating install. The installation fails at the point where I give my Wi-Fi password to the installation process. I did the network checking routine and it said that I needed a 2.4 GHz network to install two but my router does not create that kind of network separately. I have a 5 GHz network router. So is this device incompatible with my network router?

10 REPLIES 10
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BigBrother wrote:

This has been an extremely frustrating install. The installation fails at the point where I give my Wi-Fi password to the installation process. I did the network checking routine and it said that I needed a 2.4 GHz network to install two but my router does not create that kind of network separately. I have a 5 GHz network router. So is this device incompatible with my network router?

My Orbi router also has one network name/passphrase for both bands, and I have been able to onboard the cameras (and the home security system)  with no problem.

After it fails, try checking your router's attached device list, and see if the system shows up there.

BigBrother
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Arlo device is on the list. And, I found out that the router is offering a 2.4 network. That is what it says when I pick my network from the list. 
Anyway, it was at my rental property 300 miles away, I had 24 hours to get it working and it would not. I am very savvy at setting up devices like these, I've had Arlo cameras since the very first version and have bought over 30 Arlo devices since. I have set up five different home with Arlo and countless other smart home devices. This one is a lemon, pure and simple. Now I have to find another solution for monitoring this house and drive up again. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Please contact support. Within the app on your mobile device click on the silhouette on the top left ~ support center ~ the device that you are needing assistance with then choose the issue. 

BainBroeck
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have an Orbi router and have been unable to get the keypad to connect. I haven't tried checking the device list, but have contacted customer support several times to no avail. If you're not able to connect I suspect it's just a limitation of the device - not that it's defective. And I doubt customer support will be any help.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BainBroeck wrote:

I also have an Orbi router and have been unable to get the keypad to connect. 

FWIW, I also have an Orbi router, and my keypad is connected.  But that's been the case for a while, and this could be a recent issue.

What device are you using for onboarding?  There have been some issues reported here when people are using an iPhone 15.

BainBroeck
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm using an iPhone 15 - is there a work around?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I've opened a support ticket detailing the concerns you've posted here. An agent will reach out to you with a status update as soon as possible.

BainBroeck
Aspirant
Aspirant

Spent several hours on the phone with technical support, but they were unable to get the keypad connected. I was told that the system will not work with a mesh system that does not isolate the 2.4 ghz channel. I’m not replacing my wifi router, so I’m returning the keypad. Thanks anyway. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BainBroeck wrote:

I was told that the system will not work with a mesh system that does not isolate the 2.4 ghz channel. 

That info is not really correct.  It does work with my Orbi mesh system (which like many new routers gives me one network name for both 2.4 and 5 ghz channels).

But it is true that installing Arlo kit can be difficult with some mesh routers.  Deco and Eero come up here fairly often.  What router do you have?

Although many routers no longer let you create one network name per channel, some of them do let you adjust the power for each channel.  If yours does that, you could temporarily reduce the power level of the 5 ghz channel.

Another trick that sometimes helps - turn off the router wifi for a while, and create a hotspot on your phone that uses the same network name and password.  Then see if you can install the keypad.  After installation, turn off the hotspot and turn the router wifi back on.

BainBroeck
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an Orbi and turned the signal down on the 5 ghz, unplugged the satellite, connected to my mobile hotspot, etc. I literally tried everything. I checked my attached devices and saw the Arlo, but the app wasn’t registering that it was connected. I’m bummed that technical support can’t get it to work and I’ve already spent too much time on this. Not sure it’s worth it.