Arlo Secure Not Optimized For Landscape Orientation on Tablet Devices

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
bloodyrose
Guide
Guide

PROBLEM STATEMENT: Most businesses that use security applications on tables devices use them in landscape orientation to be able to more effectively view the camera grid. The Arlo Secure app will display the camera grid in landscape mode, however, features like the device history list, and control elements like the back button, settings gear, and filter are not displayed until you rotate the device to portrait orientation.

USE CASE: As a business owner I need the ability to use Arlo Secure on an iPad that is in an iPad stand in landscape orientation WITHOUT having to rotate the device to portrait orientation.

EXAMPLE 1: While in landscape orientation, when viewing videos in the Feed you cannot navigate back to the Feed page unless you turn the iPad to portrait mode.

EXAMPLE 1 STEPS:

1) Open Arlo Secure on an iPad while in landscape orientation.

2) Tap on Feed to view the list of event videos

3) Tap on any video in the list

4) Notice that there are no navigation controls at the top of the screen.

5) Rotate the device to portrait mode

6) Notice that the back arrow is displayed at the top left and the menu ellipsis button is displayed at the top right.

EXAMPLE 2: While in landscape orientation, when viewing a camera on the Devices tab you cannot access the device settings, filter or navigate back to the Devices page unless you turn the iPad to portrait mode.

EXAMPLE 2 STEPS:

1) Open Arlo Secure on an iPad while in landscape orientation.

2) Tap on Devices to view the device tiles

3) Tap on any device on the device page

4) Notice that there are no navigation controls at the top of the screen. You can only play the latest video

5) Rotate the device to portrait mode

6) Notice that the back arrow is displayed at the top left and the filter and setting buttons are displayed at the top right, and the mute button, microphone, record, screenshot and spotlight buttons and the device history are displayed below the video player.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Before I figured out the problem on my own, I contacted Arlo Support about a week ago to report that there was no way to navigate back to the feed when you are viewing a video without quitting the application. I provided step-by-step instructions how to reproduce the problem abnd several videos and screenshots of the problem. They were not very knowledgeable or helpful and gave me incorrect information about how to use the application.

Here are 3 examples of the incorrect information I was given:

1) The first support rep told me, "that is the way the application works" that there is no way to navigate back to the feed page.

2) The second support rep told me I was using the application incorrectly, the only way to get back to the feed is to swipe right until you get to the most recent video in the feed and swipe right one more time to get back to the feed list.

3) The third support rep told me that Super Wide View is probably not supported in the feed and to adjust the field of view so that no cameras are using super wide view.

7 REPLIES 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have exactly the same issue, reported to support  2 weeks ago but zero response.  The old Arlo App UI worked perfectly in Landscape, the updated Feed UI does not.  I think most people use their tablets in landscape 99% of the time.  

There are many other areas of the Feed UI which are not optimised in any way for iPad e.g. the feed list itself, tiny thumbnails with everything in a single list whereas before it used the entire screen with larger thumbnails and a grid style view that used the available space far more efficiently.  Overall this new feed UI is a mess on tablets compared to the old UI, a real step backwards.  I hope they plan to improve it, I don’t enjoy using the App any more to be honest.  I wish I could revert back to the old style App but seems once you have ‘upgraded’ to the Feed UI it is a one way street…

bloodyrose
Guide
Guide

I worked in software development for over 20 years as a tester, UI designer and UX lead. This problem is rampant everywhere, regardless of industry. The rapid, and incorrect adoption of Agile, DevOps and React are fueling this.

Developers convince management that they can do things faster without testers in the way, and that the users of the apps have no idea what they are talking about. So, you have companies that layoff testers so the software is not tested. Then you have features implemented all half-assed, incorrect or just not what we need because the developers don't understand the business they are making a product for. They do what is easiest for them to do which hurts the customer, and the company in the long run.

johncabell
Tutor
Tutor

At least I now know it isn’t just me. But sheesh.

johncabell
Tutor
Tutor

I stumbled upon a workaround. If you can enable stage manager on your iPad, the Arlo window can be shaped down to the size that reveals the controls. All things considered, this is actually a better experience anyway 🙂 

bloodyrose
Guide
Guide

Stage Manager is only supported on larger iPads. I have the 10" iPad Pro and no Stage Manager.

From Apple:

You can use Stage Manager on these iPad models:

• iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation and later)
  • iPad Air (5th generation)
johncabell
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, I agree that Arlo should address this. But at least this is a way forward for some. 

JimLev
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just got the Arlo Essential 2 outdoor 3 pack (VMK3350-1CCNAS) with solar panels.

Just found out using my iPad I’m having the same problem as everyone else is in Landscape Mode. 

Arlo, are you going to fix this????????????