Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 grant access not working

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
repairwairoa
Aspirant
Aspirant

For the past four weeks roughly (since early January 2024) the grant access feature is no longer working between an iPhone Arlo app version 4.11.1 (7236) and an Android phone app version (4.11.1_28627).

We've removed access and re-added it. We've removed the apps from both devices and have re-installed them. Both devices are fully up to date. Grant access had been working, from August 2023 when we set it up. Now, with grant access set, the shared cameras do not appear alongside the other cameras local to the users base station.

Having done a search on the forum I see there are many posts from 2023 and prior describing similar issues. We've tried all the solutions that have been put forth.

Are others having this problem at the moment? Any suggestions?

Not that it should make any difference, but we're subscribed to Arlo Secure on both accounts that we're attempting to share between.

11 REPLIES 11
BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

You will both need to be on the same user interface. Is the iPhone showing feed or library as well as what does the Android show?

NWCorner
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I'm having the same problem here and, like you, it started misbehaving recently.  I tried the same things you did, but it didn't fix the problem.  I and the person I've granted access to are both on the same version of the iOS app.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@NWCorner wrote:

I and the person I've granted access to are both on the same version of the iOS app.

Not as relevant as you might think.  The current app supports two different user interfaces.  One shows "Library", the other shows "Feed" and "Dashboard" instead.  Both accounts need to be using the same interface. 

Usually your problem is happening because your older account is showing "Library" and the new "friend" account is showing "Feed".  Let us know if this is the case.

NWCorner
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply, Stephen. 

We’re using the same interface, both of which show “Library” and not “Feed”.  

FWIW, I also checked our iOS versions - while we’re both using the latest our iPhones support, I’m on 17.3.1 and my friend (who has an older phone) is on 15.8.1

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@NWCorner wrote:

Thanks for your reply, Stephen. 

We’re using the same interface, both of which show “Library” and not “Feed”.  

Good to know.  I'm tagging the mods ( @JamesC , @BrookeN , @ShayneS ) in case they want to follow up.

One possible path is to migrate to "Feed".  But there are still ssues there, and there is no way to migrate back.  So proceed with caution if that is recommended.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I would update to the newest version of the Arlo app and see if that changes the behavior you are seeing. Please keep in mind both users will have to be on the same app version. You can migrate by attempting to onboard a security system or a Pro 5 camera (even if you do not have one). Once you enter the onboarding flow for one of these products, you will be prompted to update the app to the new UI experience. After completing the upgrade, you can then leave the onboarding flow and share devices with your authorized user.

TravelBear
Tutor
Tutor

You might already have tried this, but it tripped me up the first time I granted access to someone.

The shared cameras may be collected together under a separate location.  In our case, to view them, we had to go to the top of the screen and choose to change the location to see the shared cameras. 

At the top of the Dashboard screen there is a location name in the centre and next to it is a down arrow.  If you click on the arrow the list of available locations drops down and in your situation, it should show both your location and your friend's location as options to switch between.  Is this what has happened?  The shared cameras gathered into a separate location and not showing all together on one screen?  Or can you not see your friend's cameras at all?  Has your friend's location disappeared from your locations list in the settings?

Sorry if this is basic, it's just not clear if you have lost access to the location completely or just unable to get all cameras showing next to each other on the same screen (which I haven't tried to do).

NWCorner
Aspirant
Aspirant

Once I updated to the new interface, I was able to administer the system using the Granted Access I've been using for the last ~5 years (the migration to the new interface removed some of the custom modes we created, but I can live w/o those). For some reason, I was no longer able to do that using the (now) old interface.  Thanks for your help!

NWCorner
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your help - now that I've updated to the new interface, I am able to administer the system using the Granted Access I've been using for the last ~5 years (the migration to the new interface removed some of the custom modes we created, but I can live w/o those).

repairwairoa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks to everyone who has responded in an attempt to help.

I'm delayed in getting back with answers as the friends I'm helping with this are a couple of hours drive away, difficult to catch on the phone and not tech savvy...

Finally I can respond with certainty:

The iPhone is showing: 'Devices, Library, Mode, Settings'.
The Samsung is showing: 'Dashboard, Feed, Emerge..., Devices, Routines'.
So, from what I understand: We'll need to force the user account on the Samsung to use the new UI and once we've done that our problem should be solved? Will we need to re-grant access on the Samsung end again after the UI switch?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Samsung already has the new user interface (UI) so no need to migrate anything. You, however, need to migrate the iOS device to the new UI by choosing to add a Pro 5, security system or any new Essential Gen. 2 camera, even though you don't have one. The first step is to migrate your account to the new UI after which you can just back out of the bogus install. Note that custom modes don't transfer (and you can't add any) so check all modes in Routines to do what you need. Check any schedule and geofencing, if used before.  Here's some FAQs to help:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062777/About-Arlo-Routines-Modes-Rules-and-Automations

https://kb.arlo.com/000062942/How-do-I-add-a-Schedule-Automation-to-my-Arlo-system

https://kb.arlo.com/000062822/What-are-Arrive-Leave-Automations-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-for-my-Arlo-s...