Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 33 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
AB23
Star
Star

Hello,

Since the recent android update a few days ago, the alert sound has not been playing when DND is activated. The popup alerts are still appearing, but there is no sound. 

I have checked all settings, including testing notifications from other apps (email apps, etc.). Notifications in the Arlo app (and in the modes) are enabled. The problem appears to be specific to the Arlo secure app. 

Any suggestions?

33 REPLIES 33
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

In the phone settings for the app, click on Notifications (not the toggle itself) and scroll down to the bottom. Is "Override Do Not Disturb" disabled?

AB23
Star
Star

I don't see that as an option. I do have the Arlo app listed as an exception to the Do Not Disturb mode.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You're going to the phone settings for the app, clicking on Notifications and then Notifications again, right? That's where you can set the ringtone, etc., including the override.

AB23
Star
Star

Yes. I definitely do not see an option for overriding do not disturb. I posted a screenshot just to make sure we're talking about the same thing. 

Screenshot_20230710_071950_Settings.jpg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Screenshot didn't make it.

AB23
Star
Star

Trying again. 

Screenshot_20230710_071950_Settings.jpg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you reinstalled the app? Your pic is totally different from mine. What phone and OS? Is the phone fully up to date? Here are 2 screenshots from my Pixel 6 (too large for one pic).Screenshot_20230710-093756.pngScreenshot_20230710-093724.png

AB23
Star
Star

Phone is a Samsung S23, and OS is Android 13. App was freshly installed as of yesterday evening. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Guess it could be a Samsung thang. @JamesC or @ShayneS ?

EASYEEE
Tutor
Tutor

Help! I to have Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G that's been working flawlessly for years with the Arlo app until just a couple days ago . Just like this user when using "do not disturb", which I use all the time, it won't alert me audibly, only visually. It works fine as soon as I switch the phone off do not disturb. And I checked each notification and each one of them is checked allowed bypass of do not disturb. Can you please notify me a fix for this.

brianjs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yep, this is definitely an Arlo bug. It was introduced in app version 4.5 I believe. If I select Arlo as an allowed app during Do Not Disturb, its notifications are still silent. Other apps work fine. I've tried it on a Galaxy S23+ and a Galaxy Z Fold 3 with the same results. I rolled back to app version 4.4 and now my notifications work properly again. This is a very bad bug for me because I rely on an Arlo Baby Cam to wake me up if my baby wakes up at night.

Screenshot_20230715_085631_Settings.jpg

EASYEEE
Tutor
Tutor

How do you roll back the app on my essential cameras.

Mitzu
Guide
Guide

SAME HERE!    THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!    WHAT IS SENSE OF HAVING SECURITY CAMERAS WITH A SILENT NOTIFICATION?!

Mitzu
Guide
Guide

just seen this on Arlo website,  THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!   I'll be damn if I have to buy security systems every 4 years!!!!!!   IF THIS IS THE CASE I WILL NEVER PURCHASE AN ARLO PRODUCT EVER AGAIN!!!!!

FROM ARLO WEBSITE:   EOL -(END OF LIFE)

For an Arlo hardware device, Arlo’s EOL general policy is to implement an EOL Effective Date no earlier than four (4) years from the date that volume manufacturing of such Arlo hardware devices last occurred. For example, Arlo’s first camera product, VMC3030 (Arlo HD, aka Gen3), was introduced in November 2014 and was manufactured until January 2019. Its EOL Effective Date of July 1, 2023 is at least four (4) years beyond the last manufacture date. In general, the EOL Effective Date will be longer than four (4) years from the date that volume manufacturing of such Arlo hardware devices last occurred.
• We will endeavor to provide at least ninety (90) days advance notice prior to implementing an EOL Effective Date for an Arlo Product that is a hardware device or a mixed/bundled hardware device and service.
• We will endeavor to provide at least thirty (30) days advance notice prior to implementing an EOL Effective Date for an Arlo Product that is a service.
• Arlo at its discretion may extend the EOL Effective Date for certain hardware devices beyond four (4) years from the date that volume manufacturing of such Arlo hardware devices last occurred. You will see this is the case for most of the hardware in the Arlo EOL Table below.
• Upon the EOL Effective Date, the following may occur for the EOL’d Arlo Product:
o No support
o No firmware upgrades
o No bug fixes
o No maintenance releases
o No workarounds or patches
o No spare parts
o No replacement devices

AB23
Star
Star

The android app just updated. It is now version 4.6.1_28552, released 7/17/23.

This does not appear to have resolved the DND sound issue. 

AB23
Star
Star

I will also add that, on installation, this latest update caused a message that my devices were factory reset.  I discovered that a device (a Pro 3 floodlight) was wiped.

It now will not stay connected, and is dysfunctional after not having any problems.

In the last month, I have had 3 problems with Arlo cameras, none of which have been reliably addressed, and all of which appear to have been created by Arlo. It is causing me to question the decision to purchase 6 cameras/floodlights.

Mitzu
Guide
Guide

Sorry for all the issues you are dealing with now.  I do have the latest update and you are correct. It hasn't fixed the dnd issue.   Before this issue, I loved my arlo cameras, however, I am not a happy camper dealing with this issue and I am VERY upset about EOL they posted.  if this issue isn't fixed and/or I start having new issues due to the EOL, I will be getting a new system and it WONT BE ARLO.  Sad to say, but if they think customers can afford new systems every 4 years because of they will no longer update and as stated in the EOL, that when it happens, your system may not work as it should is ludicrous!  VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED IN ARLO AT THE MOMENT!  Hope your issues get fixed.. 

dmwinship
Aspirant
Aspirant

I spent about an hour in a chat with support yesterday. I had read in the community that we could download the APK file for version 4.3.5 from a secure site like APK mirror, uninstall the current version 4.6.1, and then install the old version.

Support was of no help, they said they'd lodge my complaint but there is no way for them to help me roll back to a previous version of the app.

So I followed the instructions I just posted above, and it worked like a champ.

After I reinstalled the old version, I had to reselect my Galaxy settings for do not disturb and the Arlo app settings, but that only took a few minutes.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dmwinship wrote:

Support was of no help, they said they'd lodge my complaint but there is no way for them to help me roll back to a previous version of the app.

Not surprising.  There are security risks with sideloading, as you have no way to verify that the app hasn't been hacked/modified in some way.

dmwinship
Aspirant
Aspirant

ANNND, this morning it auto-updated to the new version. So, all that hassle, again. Had to set Google play to NOT update ANY apps.

What a pain this is. Anybody with an alternative to Arlo, I'm ready. I've gone from 4 cameras to 2, ready for an entirely new system.

Thoughts? 

dmwinship
Aspirant
Aspirant

Then I guess they need to find a way to give us that feature back again, or a bunch of us are going security system shopping. 

EASYEEE
Tutor
Tutor

Does anybody heard of Arlo straightening out this bug. Cuz everything worked fine at the beginning of July and then Arlo updated it and now I have these useless cameras absolutely useless. Arlo help you're not going to fix your app at least please forward me instructions on how to roll back the update to the 4.3 version

dmwinship
Aspirant
Aspirant

Uninstall version 4.6.1.

Go to APK mirror site and download version 4.3.5_28531

Reset all your notification settings and your do not disturb settings in your phone to allow Arlo secure to bypass that.

Go to Google Play Store and be sure you have the settings to auto update your apps from the Play Store. That's in settings, network preferences.

Still in Play Store, search for the Arlo secure app. Three dots upper right, disable auto update for this app only. Lesson learned: if you don't do this they will update to the 4.6.1 version tomorrow morning.

I have an ongoing discussion with Arlo support, and every time they suggest something with 4.6.1 that does not work, I have to download the APK file again and do everything I just told you above, But it does work once I get 4.3.5 functional again.

Maybe someday they will actually release a version that works!

Billjo94
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I tried the rollback and every version didn't have the do not disturb?  I'm sure I did something wrong, but didn't work.  Anybody have a word when the new update fix might be released.. thanks all very much.