ARLO Po model VMC 4030

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Khone
Luminary
Luminary

I reactivated one of my cameras and set it up to record from 6 PM to 8 AM. It is on constantly and records but there are no feeds to desktop or phone and no push notifications.

Hate the upgrade but willing to see if I can get this system to work like it used to.

Any suggestions welcomed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Khone wrote:

I had it set-up for Stand-by @ 7 AM.  I think I changed it based upon someone else's statement. 

There are two places where modes are listed in the automation.

1. The one at the bottom is the "action" - telling the system what mode to switch to when the automation runs.
  2. The list of modes at the top are the "enabled list".  These tell the system when the automation should be active. 

Your 7 am automation should have the enabled list set to "Standby" and "Arm Home".  The action should be set to "Standby".  

The 7 pm automation should also have the enabled list set to "Standby" and "Arm Home".  But the Action should be set to "Arm Home".

Note if you set the "enabled list" in your two automations to include all three modes, then the schedule will always run.  I didn't tell you to do that, because I was thinking you would want to keep the camera armed 24x7 when you went on holiday. 

In the old app, you'd have done that by manually changing the mode from "Schedule" to "Armed" when you leave, and then manually changing it back to "Schedule" when you return.   But there is no "Schedule" mode anymore.  With the automation set up you have now, you manually set the system to "Arm Away" when you leave, and then set it back to either "Standby" or "Arm Home" when you come back.

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Khone wrote:

I reactivated one of my cameras and set it up to record from 6 PM to 8 AM. It is on constantly and records but there are no feeds to desktop or phone and no push notifications.

How do you know it records???

Can you give more details on how you are setting this up?

1. What modes you are using
  2. Details on the two schedule automations
  3. ...

For example, one way to get this to work with Feed is to 

1. Use Arm Away when you want all cameras armed
  2. Set up Arm Home so that all the other cameras have rules, but this camera does not.
  3. Create one schedule automation that changes to "Arm Away" at 6 pm, making sure this automation is enabled when "Arm Home" is active.
  4. Create a second schedule automation that changes to "Arm Home" at 8 am, making sure this schedule is enabled when "Arm Away" is active.
Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks StephenB for your response.

To simplify things (and eliminate any confusion) I removed my other 2 cameras.

As for know how it is recording, I go to my ARLO home page and select Feed and that shows all videos and the time they were recorded.

As for Modes:

Based upon the explanations shown for each one, I select Arm Home to set-up my camera to turn on at 7:30 PM and record motion until motion stops. (It's never done that in the past.)

Then I select Standby @ 7:00 AM (change mode) to have the camera stop recognizing motion and turn off.

Right now, my camera is on 24/7 unless is cover it.

Turning on and off at specified times is what I had until the "upgrade". That's when everything went South.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Khone wrote:

I select Arm Home to set-up my camera to turn on at 7:30 PM 

You are saying you do this manually?

Or are you using Schedule Automations?

Here are screen shots that work (though times are not the same as what you want):

IMG_2018.PNG

7FFA3E88-BF60-499E-930A-D4EC025E510D.jpeg

@Khone wrote:

record motion until motion stops. (It's never done that in the past.)

If you are saying that you had fixed time recordings before, you can set that up again if you want.

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Yes, I've been trying to do it manually. There is nothing on my ARLO that says "schedule automations". Never had it before either. This is what I get when I select Modes and Automations

Screenshot 2024-10-08 102832.pngScreenshot 2024-10-08 102813.png

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Khone wrote:

Screenshot 2024-10-08 102832.png

Select Patio, and post the screenshot you have there.  Also post the "custom Schedule" right underneath it.

The other three custom schedules that say 6 am are likely ones you created, and you should probably delete them.

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

FYI I thought my camera was in standby (not on recording) but it is on.

Here's what you asked for

Screenshot 2024-10-08 102832.pngScreenshot 2024-10-08 114150.png

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Khone wrote:

FYI I thought my camera was in standby (not on recording) but it is on.

Here's what you asked for

Screenshot 2024-10-08 114150.png

The "Standby" on this screen is NOT the mode you want the system to switch to. It is a list of the modes in which the automation will run.  In your case, it should include "Arm Home" and "Standby" (same as my "am disarm" post earlier).  The way you have it set up, the automation will only run when the system is already in "Standby", so it would have no effect at all.

The "Change Mode" in the action below is what tells the automation what mode to switch to.  That should be set to "Standby", since that is what you want to happen at 7 am.  (It might be already - no way to tell since your screenshot doesn't show what mode it changes to).

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks. At this point, I'm about "burned-out" with the upgrade configuration. This is what I have. All I am trying to do is turn the d___n camera on and off at specific times. Had no problem before the upgrade - pretty simple. Now nothing works. Guess I will have to give it up and stop bothering people. I appreciate your time and interest.

Screenshot 2024-10-08 132506.pngScreenshot 2024-10-08 132429.png

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Khone wrote:

Thanks. At this point, I'm about "burned-out" with the upgrade configuration. This is what I have.

All you need to do is edit the mode at the top of the "Patio" screen, and make sure it has both "Arm Away" and "Standby" checked.

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Thank you. 

Does that turn my camera on @ 7PM and off @ 7AM?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Khone wrote: 

Does that turn my camera on @ 7PM and off @ 7AM?

The patio automation turns it off at 7 am.  You need to add another one to turn it on at 7 pm.  Look again at my screenshots.  You might want to rename them (maybe disarm patio, and arm patio?)

One thing you might be missing - the modes affect all cameras.  So if you want your other cameras to be recording during the day, you will need to make some changes.  But first let's get the schedule working for the patio camera. 

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Ok. Thanks. Will try it and let you know.

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks again. Sorry for being so dense on this.

I tried using your snips but I couldn't find anything similar on my ARLO. So, I decided I'd delete all actions and start anew trying to use your pics. BTW - I removed the other two cameras from my system. Will add them later when/if I can figure this out.

Here's a step-by-step of what I did. See if you can see what I'm doing wrong.

Screenshot 2024-10-09 084435.pngScreenshot 2024-10-09 084507.pngScreenshot 2024-10-09 084649.pngScreenshot 2024-10-09 084708.pngScreenshot 2024-10-09 084728.pngScreenshot 2024-10-09 084816.pngScreenshot 2024-10-09 084842.png

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Khone wrote:

I tried using your snips but I couldn't find anything similar on my ARLO.

It looks like you are using your web browser.  My screen shots were done using the iPhone app.

What did you put in the "change mode" at the bottom of this screenshot? It should say Standby.  Based on your screenshots, I think you put in into Arm Away mode at 7 am.  But that is when you wanted to stop recording, correct???

Screenshot 2024-10-09 084816.png

Also, this isn't enough.  You need a second automation that changes the mode back to Arm Away at 7 pm.  Without that, the mode will remain Standby until you manually change it.

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks again. I certainly appreciate you giving your time and expertise to me. I'm about ready to give up.

So, based upon your last comments, here's what I have. Let me know if I'm right or wrong.

Screenshot 2024-10-09 114959.pngScreenshot 2024-10-09 115031.pngScreenshot 2024-10-09 115057.pngScreenshot 2024-10-09 115121.png

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Very close.

This one has the wrong action:

@Khone wrote:

Thanks again. I certainly appreciate you giving your time and expertise to me. I'm about ready to give up.

So, based upon your last comments, here's what I have. Let me know if I'm right or wrong.

Screenshot 2024-10-09 115121.png

Instead of "Record Video" it needs to change the mode to either "Arm Home" or "Arm Away".  (Either will work, since they both should arm the camera).

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks. I changed and it came up Arm away.

I hope this is right because my camera stays on/recording all the time.

Will let you know tomorrow.

Thanks a million for your help and time.

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

I give up on this. Nothing I do stops the camera from staying on and recording.

Thank you for your help.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you tried to uninstall the Pro camera and reset it. After the reset re-onboard it to the Arlo app?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just to clarify - you CAN'T reset a Pro 2 or older camera. All you can do is reinsert the battery to get the camera back to a known state. The FAQ that says you can reset it is inaccurate.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

To reset an Arlo Pro camera, you can factory reset it by pressing and holding the Sync button for about 15 seconds: 

1. Ensure the camera is charged and online 

1. Locate the Sync button, which may vary by model 

1. Press and hold the Sync button until the camera LED blinks blue or amber 

1. Release the button when the LED blinks the correct color
Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Thank you Brooken for that info.

For all of you. My base station is on line. On the top, the left light stays lit. The center light continuously blinks. The right (camera) light is unlit.

I've done a "factory reset" but when I push it, nothing happens - everything remains the same - lights continue as is.

As for the camera, I removed it and then re-added it, pushed the sync button on the base station. Now, the base station center light starts blinking but the camera light (right side) stays blank. When I push the sync button on the camera the base station camera light begins blinking and all I get on the camera is an occasional red light flashing, no blue light showing sync'd. Eventually the camera light on the base station goes out. Then the center light starts blinking, stays light, then blinks. The camera, all I get is occasional  red light flashes.

Nothing is working. I know what I'm doing  because I set-up the system and have, on one or two previous occasions, had to re-sync all three cameras. 

I'm tired of screwing with this piece of junk. Had no problems with it until I did the "upgrade" - big mistake.

Thank you all for your help. I'm ready to put everything in the recycle bin.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BrookeN wrote:

Have you tried to uninstall the Pro camera and reset it. After the reset re-onboard it to the Arlo app?

FYI, you can't reset a Pro.  All you can do is reboot it by removing/reinserting the battery.

Though the issue here is the scheduling - @Khone has something wrong in one of his automations, so the camera is not going into Standby on schedule.

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

I have removed the battery several times and still unable to sync it.

I have uninstalled my camera. Now, I can't reinstall/sync it.

Not sure what you mean by scheduling. Before I uninstalled the camera it would remain on and record movement. I always received notices of that on my phone but not my desktop. As for the automations, I've disabled them. Also, when I open my ARLO it shows Armed Away, and I never included that in any automation.

Here's what my system looks like now

Screenshot 2024-10-14 101242.pngScreenshot 2024-10-14 101304.pngScreenshot 2024-10-14 101332.pngScreenshot 2024-10-14 101158.pngScreenshot 2024-10-14 101352.pngScreenshot 2024-10-14 102327.png