Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

arlo q - bright light reflecting - when all lights switched off

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
asw2016
Follower
Follower
ive got a arlo q, vmc3040r6 firmware 1.7.1_4792 this is hard to explain .... is there any way to post / upload a picture here? anyways, with the status light turned off and infrared lights switched off, the camera seems to emitting its own light. my particular camera is mounted inside a vent in an outcropping over my front door. when its night time, as described before, i can only see the reflection of the vent and nothing beyond to the ground.... i dont want anyone to know where this cam is placed, and it seems this cam is emitting alot of light and does not seem to be catching any motion beyond the vent.. would someone have an answer?
4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Since I use my Q to view through a window, I have a somewhat similar issue. With the status LED and night vision turned off, I can see fine but with night vision enabled, all I get is a ring of light reflecting off the window. First thing I'd check is whether the IR illuminators are actually turned off. In the dark, verify that you can't see the dull red glow at all. Use live view and trigger a recording to verify, too. If the LEDs are truly off, there must be another light source bouncing around - porch lights, etc. To post a still or video, just go to you library, view the appropriate image and use the share icon at the bottom. Copy the link to the clipboard and paste it into a reply here.
Mitchell84
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have experienced the same exact problem. I've disabled infrared, and status lights. The camera does emit it's own light not everytime but frequent enough to cause concern. There is no evidence of motion in the area when this takes place and the camera is taking video during this occurrence. We must have at least 30 events of this happening. It started on one camera and now is happening on another we have 5 cameras.

I have downloaded a very good example of a 16 sec video. We have the camera situated on a window sill. I need to know how to share with you. We do have a Question could some one trigger this event with a laser or a flashlight?
Mitchell84
Aspirant
Aspirant
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's odd.  It's not the IR illuminators or the whole scene would light up.  I suspect it's the purple low WiFi strength indication.  Some folks have just covered the LED with tape if the camera otherwise works fine or ignore it (mine flashes once in a great while but doesn't bother me).