Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Cyrano
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've set one Arlo Q camera behind a window, to observe my front porch.

The night vision on this camera is disabled.

At night, with my porch light on, things seem fine:

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/B0193CFEFFAD25FD

But when I turn off the porch light, the camera won't hold a constant brightness level. Instead, it alternates between two brightness levels, at a frequency of about once per second:

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/61EA07F41AC4E779

Any ideas on what is causing this weird behavior?

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It looks like a light is turning on and off but there's the noise that may be causing it.  Is there something nearby that could be causing the noise or is it the camera? I don't know why that would be causing a change in brightness unless there really is a light doing that.  

Is your microphone enabled? Try disabling it.  Both night vision as well as the mic are disabled on my Q pointed through a window and don't display this behavior.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

To me it looks like the camera is on the edge of iris sensitivity and filp flopping back and forth to B/W mode.

To fix , go to live mode and adjust the iris level ( looks like a small sun on the live view screen bottom when viewing ).  It gives a  + and - adjustment for light.

If that doesn't work, I'd reset the camera and test again.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Worth a try but I don't see color in either version. My cameras are very definite when switching in and out of B&W.

Cyrano
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jguerdat: The sound you hear on the video is coming from the camera itself, as something in its internal mechanism is toggling on and off.

@TomMac: Interesting idea! I'll test this hypothesis this evening.