Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
RKOC
Follower
Follower

My Arlo Q shows only 2 bars for signal strength.  All my other wireless devices that are even further away than the Arlo Q show full strength.  Could my Arlo Q have a defect?  I had a Nest Cam in the exact same spot as the Arlo Q had full signal strength and seemed to have a clearer picture?  Anyone else have this issue?

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My Q and one of my wireless cameras are a few feet apart and both have full signal strength showing.  Of course, we don't know how that's calibrated on either device.  Perhaps the exact position has a signal block (wiring?) that a small adjustement to position could fix or thew Nest just used a different calibration, sorta like how the temperature gauge in you car never moves unless it's cold or already overheating.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

I'd say it's normal.  My Q is closer to my router and shows a weaker signal than a Arlo Wireless Camera that I have installed in the same line of sight further away.  Checking the RSSI with Wifi Analytics, the signal strength at the Q is 10db stronger compared to the Arlo Cam but the icons shows otherwise.  Arlo shows full strength and Q shows 3of4 bars.  wierd .

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Hula_Rock wrote:

I'd say it's normal.  My Q is closer to my router and shows a weaker signal than a Arlo Wireless Camera that I have installed in the same line of sight further away.  Checking the RSSI with Wifi Analytics, the signal strength at the Q is 10db stronger compared to the Arlo Cam but the icons shows otherwise.  Arlo shows full strength and Q shows 3of4 bars.  wierd .

My own wifi sits 10%+ lower than the Arlo base signal.  ( maybe time for a new wifi unit 😉 ) with a network signal analyzer.

So, My Q cam has a lower signal shown for the same distance when compared to the Arlo cam when measured at the cameras locations.

But then again, many variables in diff houses.

One thing to note with the Q cam...If signal is marginal, the front LED will start to flash BLUE/AMBER till brought closer. I powered my Q cam from a power pack and walked around with it to test my range in different locations. A very simple but effective test.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

One thing to note with the Q cam...If signal is marginal, the front LED will start to flash BLUE/AMBER till brought closer. I powered my Q cam from a power pack and walked around with it to test my range in different locations. A very simple but effective test.

You learn something new everyday,  I did not know that !

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Hula_Rock wrote:
You learn something new everyday,  I did not know that !

Only just learned it myself  🙂   the other day...

at first thought it was upgrading the SW which is what the specs mention.

Morse is faster than texting!