Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
punekr12
Follower
Follower

Arlo Q is powered through a mini USB port by the USB power cable.

Has anyone tried to power Arlo Q using a USB power bank ? If it works that will eliminate the need for running a wire from the camera to the electrical socket.

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I know TomMac has used it to make the Q portable for testing purposes and there was a previous post from some time ago with someone trying to use it but I'm not sure it was for a Q.  The biggest issue with the Q is that it's constantly streaming (AFAIK) so I'm not sure how long even a large battery pack would last.  On a Pro camera, it should add significant time for a properly installed camera.

TrulsZK
Apprentice
Apprentice

IMG_0262.JPGNot the same situation
I use a battery pack as a mini-UPS for my cameras so it will work even if there is a power failure. My router is connected to my UPS so the Internet will not go down when there is a power failure.

Runtime with a small battery pack (2200mAh) is about 2,5 hours with CVR before experiencing issues i.e. Drops in CVR.
If you want to do this you need a battery pack they can charge itself and power another device simultaneously, most cheaper battery packs work as the circuitry is simpler. Have not (yet after 1 week in operation) experienced any problems with overcharging, battery failure, etc.

I think it would be impractical to use a battery pack for extended periods of time.
Even with a large battery pack (20000mAhI would expect a few days, at most.

JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
Has anyone used a power bank (solar if possible) with a base station, Q or Q Plus or any idea if it would work? I see a solar panel is available for the Pro but I would like to use my existing cameras with a solar powerbank if possible.