Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Gerry_D
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well I thought of expanding or repositioning,

My son bought an Arlo Q for us.

A lot of trouble to get working, it's wifi must have the weakest signal!

At 37 feet, other devices worked well at exactly that distance at the exact same location.

It would not see my router.

Moved my router to 16 feet away, it locked but would loose lock after a few hours.

Nothing in the way except standard house construction. NO wire mesh in walls, no aluminum siding between them.

Router/wifi has been on constantly for 13 days, using channel 6, that had the least interference or so called free/open channel in my neighborhood.

Nearest other wifi is 200 ft away (estimated).

No electronic or electrical devices between camera location and router.

Yes the reset is a pain.

Even went so far as to do a factory reset.

It did firmware updates at least three times.

Works for a few hours and then looses lock. Still has BLUE light like everything is fine, but is not.

Router is on 24/7 no interruptions in either power on the AC.

One would think for a "Security System" it would be better.

Not happy at all.

It went back to the store today.

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gerry_D,

I am sorry to hear you had a troublesome experience. A solid blue LED indicator would mean the connection between the router and camera was good (a poor connection would show a flashing purple LED). What issue were you seeing that indicated a problem? Were you getting an error message when trying to live stream?

JamesC

Gerry_D
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well James,

It was not viewable on my log-in to the Arlo server.

The server was telling me that there was NO link to the camera.

Resetting it all over again, lo and behold it worked for a few hours.

I was ready to put it on a timer to shut it off every few hours, but the timers I have would only shut off for 15 minutes minium and for sure I would have to re-sync it all over again after every 15 minutes of off time.

Like I initially said, I had my wifi router on the other end of the basement on a window sill. It would not link at that distance, maybe 30 or so feet. Then I moved my wifi-router as close as practical, less than 15 feet away and it would lock, but loose lock.

Either it was a lemon, or the darn thing was trying to link erroneously to the Arlo base.

(The arlo base was the same distance, some 15 feet or so, atop my computer desk in the basement.)

There is three feet distance between the Arlo base and my wifi-router. (Now, before the move it was some 30 feet or so.

No matter, it was returned and now have an Arlo Pro. Unfortunately the power wire could have been longer on it.Smiley Sad

Gerry