Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
jmeoo3
Star
Star

I had two Arlo Q's but the second one I bought was trashed because of "hardware issues"....the amber light was solid and the camera did nothing after numerous resets and unplugging.  It was 2 years old so past warranty.  My first Arlo Q I bought I think is finally dead....bought it around 3.5 years ago.  It was working perfectly fine two days ago.  The only thing I changed recently was turning ON the night vision which had been left off for several years because of the TV screen at night constantly setting the night vision ON then OFF.  Anyways, so I left the house today and turned the camera on......i thought maybe someone accidentally faced the camera against the wall because I was seeing like all white and pixelation.  I got home and checked it and it wasn't turned against the wall....it was in the same place as always.  I hit the live button on my app and I could hear the audio just fine but something was definitely wrong with the picture or lens rather.  Messing around with the camera it seems that the field of view has narrowed severely. The view seems to be only towards the left side of the camera and is also VERY zoomed in.   It's seems like the lens is stuck this way or something.  When I was standing next to the camera (left side) i could see my lips/mouth filing the whole screen of the live feed view.  Is the camera dead?  I tried unplugging and resetting as usual.  I can't re add the device now either because I assume if there is something wrong with the lens then it's not going to read the bar code properly.  Any one have any insight ?  Thanks in Advance !      

4 REPLIES 4
DJCummins99
Star
Star

I think our mistake was buying Arlo Q, or anything from NetGear. I have three Arlo Q's, and they are all three years old. One of them was working fine two days ago and now it shuts itself off after 45 seconds. Changing the power supply, hitting the reset button, holding the sync button, nothing works. Tech supports tells me I just need to buy another Arlo Q to replace it.

I'm finished buying Arlo or any other NetGear products.

DJCummins99
Star
Star

This Arlo Q is 3 years old. I have two others, same age, both working fine. All three were mounted on a wall three years ago and not moved since.

This one was working well two days ago, as demonstrated with a video footage recorded at that time.

Now it powers down after 45 seconds. Changing the power cord and supply results in the same behavior. resetting works (I hear the click when I hold a paper clip in the hold for about 8 seconds), but does not change the behavior. The sync button has no visible effect; no blue light appears and the camera shuts down in 45 seconds no matter what I do. The light is solid amber until it shuts down.  Arlo tech support told me that I need to buy a new camera, but here's the thing: I changed my router yesterday. It's at least an odd coincidence that this is happening at precisely this time. The other two arlo Q's had no trouble syncing to the new network.  

Any ideas?  Is it just a coincidence, and is the expected lifetime of an Arlo Q 3 years?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Stuff happens. My Q is running fine from when it was on the original beta test. YMMV

DJCummins99
Star
Star

I have a resolution. The support person at Netgear asked me if I tried swapping out another power supply, and when I replied that I had done that to no avail, they told me to buy another Arlo Q. They did not think to do what I did later: remove the Arlo Q from the account and then add it back in. That did the trick, and the camera is working fine now. This does not reflect well on Arlo Support. I almost threw the camera away!