Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Severe lag on live view for Arlo Q. Shows a 30-second delayed video. Using Google Mesh.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
JVelvet
Star
Star

For the past several months, my Arlo Q cameras have been taking about 30 seconds to display live video. Once the video starts, it's actually showing me the 30-second delayed video. I timed it yesterday, and it took 28.3 seconds from the time I clicked the play button until it started showing live video.

My internet is 300 Mbps Down/ 20 Mbps Up. I have a Google mesh and there is a access point about 15 feet from the camera. All of this to say that I do not have a problem with my internet connection or wifi speed or signal. All are great. 

Does anyone know why this lag is happening or how to fix it?

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Just timed my Q... time was about 5 sec via web

( 100m down , 50m up )

I would temp move the Q cam and see if it’s possible interference.

Also check the FW version

btw how do you access, iOS/ Android/ web?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JVelvet
Star
Star

I access the camera via iOS app and via browser (chrome). Both have significant lag. 

I have two cameras. I tested the wifi speed to both. One has 70 Mbps to the wifi point. the other has 238 Mbps to the wifi point. Should be sufficient speed to avoid the lag I am experiencing.

It's strange that it only recently started happening. 

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey JVelvet,

Try what TomMac suggested with moving the Arlo Q camera to see if that helps.

JVelvet
Star
Star

Moving the camera doesn't help. Neither did moving the Google Wifi puck.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Have you tried power cycling your cameras to see if that might help it?

If you still have problems after power cycling it, contact the Support Team so they can further investigate the issue you're experiencing. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JVelvet
Star
Star

I've power cycled them both. I even removed both cameras from the app, reset them, and set them back up. Still 30 second delay on live view (at 720p even). I'm past my 1 year of support, so there is no point trying to open a case. I guess these are going into the trash and I'll get a nest camera or something. Too bad. they are nice cameras other than the delay on live view that makes them unusable.

JVelvet
Star
Star

To be fair to Arlo, the severe lag happens via browser. I am getting a lag of less than 5 seconds currently in the app (after removing and resetting the cameras yesterday). That doesn't really make sense to me unless the resolution of the stream coming to the app is significantly lower than what is delivered to the browser.