Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
brianzx7
Star
Star

I keep getting Audio detection notifications and when I watch the 15 second video, there is a noise a few seconds into the video that sounds like a pop or slap. I believe that the noise is coming from the unit itself as I can watch my cat in the back ground laying down and his ears don't even twitch. That tells me that it is coming from the unit itself as some kind of electrical pop. It is not near any other electrical devices(sitting on a book shelf). 

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

What I could do to troubleshoot, is take one of the Arlo Pros and put it near and see if it detects the pop. I am guessing it will not though which will point me to a faulty ArloQ. The unit is new and does have the latest firmware.

15 REPLIES 15
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

brianzx7,

Try temporarily moving the Arlo Q to a different lcoation/room. See if you get the same results after the device has been moved.

JamesC

brianzx7
Star
Star

I set the audio sensitivity down to 1 to see if that helps. I received about 10 detections yesterday before changing that so we'll see if it helps. It is funny though, the noise is absolutly coming from itself as all of the recordings have my cat in the back ground. He completely ignores when the pop happens proving that there really isn't a noise as my cat will always look at any slightest noise that happens.

Question: If I turn off Audio detection, will it still record audio when it records from a video detection?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not supposed to.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

brianzx7,

Turning off audio detection should only disable recording triggers from audio. Triggers from motion detection will still produce recordings with Audio if the microphone is enabled for the camera.

JamesC

blancour
Guide
Guide
You are correct. A condition exists where the cameras self trigger recording on audio detection. I have been communicating with support for a long time with many conversations. A higher level support person named Salomon has tried to tell me the noise is external when I know for a fact it is coming from inside the cameras. I will continue working with them until they admit they have a problem and give up or they figure it out and fix the condition. Maybe if more reported this issue it would trigger escalation and more attention. If it is ever fixed for me I will post back. Good Luck!
danielcastro200
Tutor
Tutor
I have had the same issue for a long time.
I even switched the position with a different camera and the problem followed in the same camera.
Were you able to find a solution? Thanks.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Maybe it's a bad camera? Did you open a case with support?

blancour
Guide
Guide
It is not a defective camera. I have four of them and all have randomly done this. I have had two cases opened and at least four support people communicate with me on this issue since March this year and one case is still open with almost weekly ongoing communication. The sound that is triggering audio detection is the IR filter actuator. For some reason it is randomly actuated and detected. Engineering has other higher priorities, so I’m not expecting a resolution anytime soon, but they have mentioned adjusting gain sensitivity which would affect all users experience. I suggested they do not do this.
danielcastro200
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for your help! I'll create a case with Netgear.

Adrian01
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just purchased an Arlo Q and experiencing the same issue (self induced sound alerts). There is a "pop" noise approx 4 seconds  into the recording. Has there been any progress with this/is there a resolution? Otherwise quite happy with the device - thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post a link to a video so we can see/hear for ourselves. Use the Sahre link while viewing a video in the library.

Adrian01
Aspirant
Aspirant

As suggested here is a link to an audio detection that I belive has been generated by the unit. You can here a clock (not causing a problem) and then a few seconds into the video, a pop sound which has generated a recording  - followed by an alert to my phone.

As mentioned, I am a new user. This has happened 3 to 4 times each night whilst in a schedule armed mode  when the family are asleep. I think that I have sorted a work arround by setting up a custom mode during the night which monitors for movement only. Thanks. https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/9C4036FC80F7EBA8_201711

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I hear the pop but it's too far along in the video to have cause the recording. The Q will show the first 3-5 seconds before the action that caused the recording (unless CVR is in use) and the pop is too far into the video (~8 seconds). Perhaps the clock just happened to cross the detection threshold?  Have you reduced the sound sensitivity?

Hypraktiv
Guide
Guide

I am having the same issue, and I completely disagree with this statement. I have many videos in my library with this same sound, despite having moved the camera to different locations. It occurs at least 2-3 times per day, at random times, and the "snapping" sound is always about 7 seconds into the video. Hence, you are completely incorrect about the camera only buffering 3-4 seconds of video prior to the sound.

I live in a very quiet flat, and I am tired of having audio notifications in the middle of the night, buzzing my phone and waking me. I bought this as a security device, not a nuisance. I have had temporary relief power-cycling the camera, but it never lasts. Please fix this, Netgear!

danielcastro200
Tutor
Tutor

After creating a ticket with Netgear, and going back and forth with them for almost two months, I got a different (not sure if it's new or refurbished) camera trough a RMA, because they "narrowed my case to what seems to be a hardware problem on the VMC3030".
The worst thing is that the "new" camera is doing the same thing. I think they achived what they wanted, because of frustation, I'm not creating a new ticket or reopening the previous one. It's just a waste of my time. I doubt I'll recommend Arlo or a Netgear product to anyone else...