Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Q - Watching live 24 hours a day?

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
arlocurious
Tutor
Tutor

I currently have a browser open on my desktop 24 hours a day with a live feed from an ip camera.  Is this something I can do with a Q?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That would be correct.  If you want recordings, don't use Live View.  FWIW, I used a screen capture program to capture CVR video that wasn't otherwise recorded. While you can't download CVR, there are ways to get it local to you.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While I haven't tried it for long periods of time, as long as you subscribe to CVR, yes, you can leave a window open. Whether the site logs you off on some period of inactivity from you, I don't know.

arlocurious
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat wrote:

While I haven't tried it for long periods of time, as long as you subscribe to CVR, yes, you can leave a window open. Whether the site logs you off on some period of inactivity from you, I don't know.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Follow-up question:  While you have the window open and are live viewing... Does it still detect motion?  Does it still record?

Asking because this thread is discussing that topic:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Motion-Detection/Motion-detection-during-live-viewing/m-p/1038833#U...

ToastyFlake
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlocurious,  I have the Arlo Q and I don't have the 24/7 CVR option.  At work, I have left a window open for live viewing pretty much all during the work day.  It does periodically "time out" and disconnect the live view, but it only takes a quick click of the play button on the screen to reconnect. Even if you don't have the window visible, you can hear when the camera times out by the ambient sound from your camera going off, if you have the volume up on your computer. It would be nice if it didn't time out, but I still feel I can keep a pretty good tab on what's going on in my house all day, despite that drawback.  With the CVR function, it may not time out at all.  

ToastyFlake
Apprentice
Apprentice

On my system, the Arlo Q does not detect motion or record while viewing live. 

arlocurious
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you ToastyFlake... looks like the Q won't replace my IP camera then, since I want to be able to live view and (automatically) record at the same time.

ToastyFlake
Apprentice
Apprentice

I would hope it would always be recording if you paid for the 24/7 CVR option, but I don't know If that's actually the case. Thanks for asking the question, because I've wondered myself, but never tested it until you asked.  Maybe someone with the CVR or option or an Arlo moderator will provide an answer for that setup. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ToastyFlake wrote:

I would hope it would always be recording if you paid for the 24/7 CVR option, but I don't know If that's actually the case. Thanks for asking the question, because I've wondered myself, but never tested it until you asked.  Maybe someone with the CVR or option or an Arlo moderator will provide an answer for that setup. 

Yes... if you have the CVR option, the Q cam records 24/7 AND at the same time records motion detect to the library ( does both ).

If you wish to view the timeline, it a click on the clock icon and it takes you to the 24/7 history record ( it records about 1-2 mins behind live view ). At the time line, you can drag the it to wanted time an it starts playing at that point after the buffering ends ( about 30 seconds )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
ToastyFlake
Apprentice
Apprentice

Do you know if, like on the free storage program, live viewing turns off motion and sound detection alerts and recording?  This could be an issue if you have live view turned on (but not necessarily watching it all the time), you wouldn't receive an alert notification if someone entered your house (or breached whatever area you are monitoring).

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

In case you didn't know, there's a difference between live viewing and viewing via CVR.  Live View will interrupt recording but the use of CVR allows recording to go on since you're viewing the stream that's used for recording.  If the idea is to always be able to view and record, CVR is the way to go.

ToastyFlake
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes, I know there's a difference. What I didn't know first hand was whether live viewing interrupted the cvr recording or sound and motion alerts. I assume when you are saying it interrupts recording, you mean sound and motion activated recordings. So, it sounds like sound and motion alerts are not active while live view is on, even if you have the cvr option.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That would be correct.  If you want recordings, don't use Live View.  FWIW, I used a screen capture program to capture CVR video that wasn't otherwise recorded. While you can't download CVR, there are ways to get it local to you.

Pam123go
Aspirant
Aspirant

How can I get an alert beep on my iPad when motion is detected on a camera?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Pam123go wrote:

How can I get an alert beep on my iPad when motion is detected on a camera?

You have to go into the settings ( MODE- ARMED mode edit pencil- pick camera - down the list check box for PUSHES -- SAVE on exit

Do this for each camera you have.

Wiler100
Aspirant
Aspirant

But to use live view with no cut out (no recording required) do you need a subscription? Nowhere on Netgears site dothey make this clear...would seem a basic requirement!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As long as your camera total is =< 5 , there is no difference for free service other than # cameras and days storage time.

You can live view ( within limits of program shut off , Use to be 30 mins max continuous , not sure if it holds with Q ) or record in basic(free) service level.