Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
adambean
Luminary
Luminary

Hey all,

In a bit of a debate here. We have a one month old and he's ready to start sleeping in his nursery overnight. We have been experimenting with all the Arlo models and I'm having a hard time deciding. Both the Q+ and Baby show up today, I haven't yet played with those.

We're looking to implement 2-3 cameras. 1 in nursery, 1 in pack 'n play area in living room, 1 (maybe) above our front door for security (which has no access to power/ethernet). The latter, isn't neccessary at all, but ultimately comes down to what we decide on for the nursery camera and how we implement others.

Tomorrow I'm implementing an Access Point that should hopefully make for a much stronger WiFi network (my router is in the basement and security camera video on the 2nd floor isn't the best as of now). The AP will be in or above the nursery, so I'm hopeful that WiFi with a 1080p camera becomes a non-issue. Will know soon enough (which will potentially help this decision). 

- Pro: 720p, performance is quite good due to the base station, portability, but have to charge.
- Q: 1080p, quality takes a hit due to WiFi (currently), no base station (yet?).

- Q+: 1080p, no need for WiFi due to PoE, tied to a cord, no base station (yet?).

- Baby: 1080p, quality takes a hit due to WiFi (currently), no base station (yet?), has additional features ... worth it?

While I wish the non-Pro's would work with the base station, there is also value in them being seperate. I've had a lot of frustrations with the canned + custom modes to meet my needs on seperating rules and triggers between monitoring baby vs. house. So I'm kind of torn here.  

Just curious if any others have gone through this debate and what you decided on, and why. I wish the Baby had a PoE option, had the screen and the mount available today. Would more than likely make this decision much easier.

I think it's safe to assume I can kick Q out of the running. Just stinks because I got a 2 pack for Prime Day for $100 off. Right now my gut says (if it's good) go with Baby + an Arlo Pro 2 pack.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
adambean
Luminary
Luminary

@TomMac - thank you! That's EXACTLY what I was looking to hear! The seperation of rules/modes is appealing and the fact that the Baby truly does offer more than the Q ... is great. The only benefit of the Q+ would be the hardwired connection. Currently running my Q on WiFi and the Arlo+ is definitely out performing. It's a better quality picture, but it's also because it's on the 2nd floor.

Tomorrow I'll be putting in an Access Point which will be all of 5 feet from the monitor, which 'should' get me a perfect connection.

So, If I go with the Baby for the Nursery, I still need at least one more camera, for the living room where we put him in the pack 'n play. I can easily hide a wire for a Q or Q+ there ... or even a Baby. Hrm. The Arlo+ probably makes most sense as then we can easily move and have future portability.

Decisions, decisions.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Q's while really good, IMO, wouldn't be as good as the Baby.... the Arlos as you know are more motion-detect-record driven so may not be the best for an infant

Been running a Baby for a few months now... can say most of the bugs are killed, ... it is feature rich.

One thing is that you can move it around if needed ( internal battery , a few hours at night, 6 hours in day ( due to IR ))

Also it has a constant on audio feature fro your smart phone which is nice ( audio stays on even if app is put to sleep )

As to the separation of Arlos/ Q / BAby when arming... for me it's a plus ( tho some would like them all together ).

I like the separate schedules as Arlos, Q, and Baby all different and attemping to get them all on the same schedule would be impossible.. they each do their own thing for which each is suited for...I never have to fuss with the latter two as the Arlos now are only armed when out and the Q and Baby run on their own.

Good luck with choice

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
adambean
Luminary
Luminary

@TomMac - thank you! That's EXACTLY what I was looking to hear! The seperation of rules/modes is appealing and the fact that the Baby truly does offer more than the Q ... is great. The only benefit of the Q+ would be the hardwired connection. Currently running my Q on WiFi and the Arlo+ is definitely out performing. It's a better quality picture, but it's also because it's on the 2nd floor.

Tomorrow I'll be putting in an Access Point which will be all of 5 feet from the monitor, which 'should' get me a perfect connection.

So, If I go with the Baby for the Nursery, I still need at least one more camera, for the living room where we put him in the pack 'n play. I can easily hide a wire for a Q or Q+ there ... or even a Baby. Hrm. The Arlo+ probably makes most sense as then we can easily move and have future portability.

Decisions, decisions.

adambean
Luminary
Luminary

Also, any insight at all about the monitor / stand? I hate that I have to pay $250 for the monitor now and $100 for the monitor later ... when they're selling the bundle at $330, cmon!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No word to actual release date of the Baby monitor....

BTW as to the second access point, I run the Orbi unit with a satellite ... the Sat gives you 3 ethernet ports on it while getting a high speed backbone from the Main unit on 5 ghz ( separate transmitter from 5 ghz access )

( it's a Star system, btw )

One of the nice features is the Sats and Main all use the same SSID/password so when roaming thru the home I don't have to relog in with devices ( auto switches to the closest unit )... works great with the Baby an Q cams as they hook in with the 5 ghz channel and are only 15 ft or so away ( one unit at each end of home )

Morse is faster than texting!
adambean
Luminary
Luminary

I just setup and returned both the Orbi and eero. Long winded stories there, but just ... not worth it in my opinion with the frustrations and limiting featuresets.

So I am torn though on what to do with camera #2. Another Baby, or Pro? This will be for our living room / pack and play. There will be times (especially as he gets older) that we'll want to move it for a period of time. That ~6 hour battery is good and all, but I can't help but think the Pro is the superior choice for the longer battery.

Yet, the Baby has the always listening mode and 'should' also integrate into the dedicated monitor (two Baby's on the same monitor), giving us the ultimate flexibility.

AHHHH decisions!!!