Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
answerme480
Tutor
Tutor

I just installed these three cameras Saturday AM and this issue has happened a couple of times today.  I'm getting notifications emails of motion and sound (I've had everything set on super-sensitive so far to test these out)....  then there are no notifications for hours, and they it come back.

I was gone for the evening and got over 100 notifications,   I'm home for an hour, reducing their sensitivity a little...still more notifications, then they go "dark" again.  Also during the absent periods of notifications, no entries are in the library either.  I can wave my hand right at the camera next to my computer which has the live camera feeds webpage open  and walk towards another one close by and the the "motion person" icon activates (turns yellow) as well as the "ear" icon when I test the sound on my screen, so it seems as though the cameras are still detecting the motion and sounds but not relaying the information to the interwebs for those blocks of time.  All three are armed of course.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Restart your base and see if this behaviour stops.

Also were you prompted for firmware upgrades at time of installation? 

answerme480
Tutor
Tutor

I don't have a base station actually, should I have one with my three Arlo Q's?  

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Sorry, my bad. You are on the Arlo Q forum! No base station required.

Does this happen with all of them? If so I would suspect something to do with the wifi connection to your router.

Try and power cycle the cameras.

answerme480
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, they all go "dark" on me.  My router is quite old, and I have had to reboot it before for lack of wireless showing in the past, I rarely use the wireless as everything in here but the phone is hardwired.  So it defineitly could be the issue.

Any good sugestions on a router that will play nice with the camera system?

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Any of the currently available models would do the job.

A Netgear - Nighthawk AC1900 with it's external antennas would give you good range.

If you didn't want to spend that much then the R6220 or WNDR3400 would work just fine.

What is your upload and download speed?

answerme480
Tutor
Tutor

I ended up going with the Nighhawk AC1750, with a CM500 Cable Modem, huge difference in my speeds, tripled, went from 20mbps to over 60mbps.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Question though, I think the Arlo Q supports both 2.4 and 5 ghz WiFi, which is the best to use?  Furthest camera is 50 ft from the router.

Streak2
Master Master
Master
Well done on getting your wifi connectivity issues sorted out.

5ghz will generally give you more reliable speeds specially if there's a lot of 2.4g interference. However 5g will have shorter range.

Experiment with the various cameras and see which works best. Look at the signal strength using the app. Maybe closest cameras on 5g and furthest on 2.4g.