Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Ajturton1985
Apprentice
Apprentice
Recently (past 2 weeks or so) I’ve found my Arlo Q cameras sporadically having no sound. In the iPhone app I often find if I quit the app and go back in then the sound comes back. But sometimes recordings happen with no sound. Is this a recent firmware bug?

Also, recently I’ve found that motion trigger recordings are frozen for the first 5 seconds and then playback normally after that. It always used to be that the first 5 seconds had normal video. I now find that motion triggers are slightly lagged compared to the past.

Running 3 Arlo Q
Free plan
CVR on all cameras
18 REPLIES 18
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ajturton1985,

Consider rebooting the camera and test again to see if you still experience the same behavior.

JamesC

Ajturton1985
Apprentice
Apprentice
It happens after reboots too
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ajturton1985,

Does rebooting the camera solve the issue temporarily? How long after the reboot does the issue resurface?

JamesC

Ajturton1985
Apprentice
Apprentice
Usually happens again within a day or so
Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary
Have you heard back on this?

My Arlo Q were working okay for about a month or two. But just earlier this week, the issue has spread to all 5 Arlo Q's. where there is no sound on the beginning of the video playback. then the timer is all messed up on the bottom of the video, and the picture is frozen. I called support. But they were no help. against my better judgement, I changed my password to give them access to my account per their request. Then they proceeded to tell me that I needed my WiFi channel (to a more crowded channel) which didn't help.. I rebooted, reset, etc. all the standard things. But the issue persists.
Ajturton1985
Apprentice
Apprentice
I haven’t had a fix from Netgear on this. They suggested a full reset of each device to me.

I get random audio drop outs on recordings and CVR. Usually a reboot resets it but the problem comes back within a day or so.

Netgear support is awful. This has ruined a good system for me and I now actively discourage people from buying this system.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A firmware update for Arlo Q/Q+ was released recently. This firmware update addressed several bugs that could result in the behavior being discussed here. Check your Arlo Q/Q+ firmware version to be sure you are up to date with the latest version: Firmware Release Notes

If you are still experiencing an issue please contact the Arlo Support Team and open and case.

JamesC

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary
Hi James,

Thanks for the heads up on the firmware update. Interestingly, my problems with my Arlo Q started shortly there after this update. Prior to this, I didn't experience any of these issues that now won't go away no matter how many times I restart or power cycle my Arlo Q's.

I did call customer support, and they told me they had never heard of this problem before. And then they proceeded to tell me that it was a problem with my WiFi. And they also asked me to change my password so they could access my account. I will never do that again.....
Ajturton1985
Apprentice
Apprentice
And Netgears service model is awful. Only 90 days warranty unless you pay more.

I should have bought NEST cam.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Apparently you didn't read the warranty info or the statement on the website. You have a 1 year warranty and can contact support all you want, any time you want, for free.

Ajturton1985
Apprentice
Apprentice
“This product is backed by a NETGEAR limited 1-year Hardware Warranty. 24/7 basic technical support provided for 90 days from purchase date”.

Ergo, Hardware =1 year. Technical support: 90 days listed on the Arlo q site.

You’re tone doesn’t help me feel better about this product and in fact if you are speaking on behalf of Netgear you are doing them a disservice with your sarcasms. Highly unprofessional. . I’ve had issues for months plagued by bad firmware and buggy apps.
My Arlo q worked fine for a while without issues. The issues came to light last year after I purchased 2 new Arlo q and the firmware got updated on all 3 of my products.

One of my Arlo q is past 1 year old anyway so warranty length is irrelevant.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm not a Netgear employee, just a user like you. I've taken the time to read the various materials and have stated what they said. I assure you that you get support for way past 90 days for free. I've availed myself of that several times as have many others. Contact support here and see for yourself.

Ajturton1985
Apprentice
Apprentice
I did contact support. 4-5months ago. They suggested turning the cameras off and on. Also, resetting them. Which I did several times. They also suggested taking the batteries out, which is an odd suggestion give the Q doesn’t have batteries. I’ve taken to restarting all Arlo several times a week to reset audio recording but CVR sufferer blackouts for large periods anyway.

I received poor support based on my experience and I’m not happy with the products and how I’ve been paying for CVR and bad firmware rendered my cameras unreliable for prolonged periods.

I’ve particularly annoyed because there have been several moments I wish I had captured with sound (eg special moments with my daughter) and the sound didn’t record correctly or the video was garbled, or frozen for the first 5 seconds.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the problem isn't resolved, either continue the case or open a new one. Faulty hardware can only be replaced with a case. I've had to keep cases open by posting a comment in them every few days to keep the awareness going. Don't accept being closed out.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary
In addition to no sound, my Arlo Qs do this weird thing where the timer on the bottom is completely messed up, and sometimes the video is in slow motion.. Anyway, I did have a running ticket open on the zones not working. I kept replying to the support emails to keep it open, or so I thought. I guess one of my replies didn't get registered so they closed out my case. and once it gets closed, it's closed.

For these cameras, there really is limited troubleshooting that can be done. Either it works or it doesn't, and no it's not always the fault of our Wi-Fi. So I still am within the return period for Costco. it comes in a two pack, and I just want at least two cameras that work. I've tried 6 at this point. All 6 just developed these issues last week. I returned 2 that wouldnt work normal at all. The ones that I currently have, I restart or unplug sometimes several times a day. Sometimes it works for a little while, sometimes it doesn't.... I'll figure out which two to return this weekend, but I don't want to have no securiity cameras.. The cameras are getting worse and worse.

Arlo Qs are the only cameras that I know of that will work through glass (and will fit on my window sill). Does anyone know of any others that work through glass?
Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary
Sorry to hear that the camera missed capturing special moments with your daughter.

I am also worried that the camera will fail for some critical incident, like a burglar breaking into my house.....
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
Arlo Qs are the only cameras that I know of that will work through glass (and will fit on my window sill). Does anyone know of any others that work through glass?

Yup. I have a Pro 2 looking through glass and it will only very rarely record even though it's plugged in, enabling the pixel-based detection. Apparently, the P2 uses PIR for detection and pixels for zones rather than the Q pixel-only. To get around this, I use an outdoor camera to trigger the indoor P2. Not ideal but it works.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary
I had also read on this message board the description that the Pro 2 is pixel based while plugged in. So I did try putting a Pro 2 in my window, although it was a bit too big. It didn't work at all. I was standing right in front of it waving my hand, and the Pro 2 had no idea that I was there.

I noticed that there was no documentation or any description that the Pro 2 had this dual capability. Just descriptions on this message board and one lone review website. I called Arlo support, and after a bit of checking on their end, they said that it was not true. Pro 2 is only PIR regardless of whether or not it's plugged in...... they asked me where I had heard about this. I told them it was on this message board. They said that they would look into it.... And that was the end of that....