Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

My Live View Is Not Working With My New Wireless Router

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Lanna
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 2 Arlo Q working. Able to stream live view on my iPhone 7plus. I recently decided to replace my existing Aztech wireless router with a Asus RT-AC88u wireless router. I reset the 2 Arlo Q to factory setting & resetup on the Asus wireless router. However, now unable to stream live view. When I activate live view from the iOS app, it showed that camera cannot be found. I redid this several times to no avail. I then decided to reinstate the previous Aztech router and resetup the Arlo Q and live view is working again. It leads me to conclude that the Asus wireless router is the cause of not being to stream live view but have no idea why & how to fix it. Anyone has experience & suggestions?

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've switched router and my Q has worked fine so it does seem to be something about the router. What band are you using for the Q?  Does anything work, such as recording on motion? 

Lanna
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I am using band 2.4g for the Q. The Q is spec to be compatible with both 2.4g & 5g but I find that they worked with 5g band at low channels only. I am still keen to make it work on the new router.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I was going to ask about the 5GHz bands - you answered it. I find I have to lower the speed on the high 5GHz bands for many of my devices which doesn't make sense to me but, oh, well..

However, you didn't answer whether anything works such as recording on motion or is it just live viewing. Have you also tried a computer browser? Have you made any changes to the various security settings in the router?  Do you have other mobile devices to try, perhaps asking a friend to use their phone temporarily (delete the app after the test)?

Lanna
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am unable to access camera using app so cannot verify if recording on motion is working.  Appears not because when i reconnect the old router, I don't see new recording footage.  I did not make any changes to the default settings in the router, etc.  Tried browser and another iphone device, and all don't work.  I keep going back to the Asus router and retry but did not work at all.  Have to go back to the old router and works again.  This is so frustrating.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You only need to trigger a recording via motion and verify it's in the library.  Live view isn't the same thing.  You seem to be saying that only live view doesn't work - I'm trying to see if anything works. On the Devices tab, is the running man for the camera black or gray?  If gray, use the Mode tab, select your camera and verify that an appropriate mode is selected, such as Armed. Create motion while watching the camera in the Devices tab - the running man should turn amber while recording. Once the recording is finished, you should be able to see the recording in the library. Is any of this working?

Lanna
Aspirant
Aspirant

No it doesn’t work. There is no live view & no recordings when connected to the Asus router. I now connect the Asus router to the old router via AP mode and both the Arlo Q worked. However, in AP mode, I lose some of the advance features of the Asus router (which defeats the purpose of having the Asus). I still have not figured out why & how.

Stormgren
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Attempted to set up Arlo Q with Asus Router RT-AC68U this morning and quickly failed much as you did.  Camera would connect to Wifi and sense motion but would not record clips or work in "Live View".  However I could take a snapshot and it read QR code so I figured camera was ok.  Tried a multitude of things from adding camera a bunch of times, 2.4G, 5G, port forwarding, putting Arlo Q in DMZ, looking to Arlo Netgear for support, all of which failed.  After looking at the specs and data sheet of Arlo Q, the Wifi speed of the Arlo Q is 600Mbps.

I decided to try and limit the speed of the Arlo Q camera on my wifi to 600Mbps.  That's the ticket, now it works without issue.  So for those of you with ASUS router and failure with Arlo Q.... limit speed to the Arlo Q to 600 Mbps.  I tested it at 700 Mbps and it works at that setting as well.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have found that to be neccessary on the upper channels of the 5GHz band (the 3 digit channels) but not for the lower channels or 2.4GHz.

Stormgren
Aspirant
Aspirant

I imagine different routers and perhaps firmware require specific settings.  However in the case of the ASUS RT-AC68U with the latest firmware, limiting the speed of the Arlo Q device is required on both bands for proper function.  I suspect it would be the case for similar ASUS routers.  A simple fix that should be mentioned in the setup of the Arlo Q or in a troubleshooting guide.

I'd harbour a guess that many Arlo Q cameras were returned due to frustration as the casual computer user isn't usually knowledgeable about router settings and their functions.  I'm no expert when it comes to router settings and features, but managed to figure it out after spending a few hours with different settings as mentioned previously.  Perhaps some were persuaded to buy a different router that would work out of the box with the Arlo Q rather than offered this simple fix.  Person starting this thread just gave up and turned their feature rich router into an AP in order to make the Arlo Q work.  I hope other people find this information rather than spending countless hours in frustration.  

To limit speed of the Arlo Q device for Asus Router, google "Asus QOS Bandwith Limiter" for written and visual guidance on how to do it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suspect most Q owners just use the 2.4GHz band and only those who have the knowledge and desire attempt to connect to 5GHz.  You and I do but the Great Unwashed?

I don't understand why you used QoS to limit the speed. I'm not up on your router but my comments were a speed setting per band, not per device.

Stormgren
Aspirant
Aspirant

On my Asus RT-AC68U router with latest firmware, the Arlo Q even on the 2.4Ghz band would detect motion but not record video.  Trying to initiate "Live View" would result in failure.  Same result when using all 5.4Ghz channels.  Seems same issue with other Asus Routers as per person starting thread.  Although my old RT-N56U works fine with default settings.

As to why I limited the speed of the Arlo Q?  Data spec sheet of the Arlo Q is 600 and just tried to limit the speed of the device via QOS during troubleshooting.  All I can say is that it has fixed the failures in my case on both bands.  Presently connected on the 5.4Ghz band.  I never had any issues with the Arlo Pro base station which is connected to an AiMesh Node which is another RT-AC68U that used to be a BNIB T-Mobile Cellspot AC-1900 Router picked up on the cheap.  However Arlo Q is connected to my primary router about 12' away.

QOS on Asus router has Bandwith Limiter option allowing user to set max Rx and Tx to each named device.  Nice feature as can limit speed by device name, even if DHCP assigns different IP to device.  A little more control than just limiting speed on all the channels on the 2.4 or 5Ghz band.  Teenage daughter gives away the wifi password to all the friends.... but they only get minimal bandwidth as they suck up the resources like a black hole if left uncontrolled!  Needless to say, youtube doesn't stream so well for them!  The QOS bandwidth limiter works great!

As far as why the Arlo Q fails on my RT-AC68U on both bands with default settings is a bit of a mystery, perhaps something in router or camera firmware.  As a check and balance, I removed the bandwidth limitiation of the Arlo Q from the QOS and again the Arlo Q would not function properly.  Again limiting bandwidth to the Arlo Q device just works on this Asus Router and likely others.  The video stream on Live View at 1080P is like silk.