Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Inverted / Upside Down Screen - Motion Detection Activity Zone

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
ABudd4
Follower
Follower

I recently relocated my Arlo Q to a different location in my living room.  Upon relocation & restart, the camera seems to be working just fine, until I go to create an activity zone for the motion sensors.  The images shown are that of the current location with the camera in the upright position.

The live feed image seems inverted upside down, with the 'rotate image' setting turned off & motion detection zones correctly shown (please see images 1 & 2 directly below).

IMAGE 1

1.jpg

IMAGE 2

2.jpg

Upon clicking the 'rotate image' button, the the live feed image then inverts to rightside up in the upright position, as still is the camera; however, the motion detection zones are now seemingly inverted (please see images 3 & 4 directly below).

IMAGE 3

3.jpg

IMAGE 4

4.jpg

The app (or camera) is getting confused with which way is up & which way is down.  I've restarted the Arlo Q from my iPhone, and it is still showing these issues.  Please help!  Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What about using a browser? Is the symptom the same? If so, I think the fastest thing would be to reset the camera and re-add it. If the browser is correct, reinstall the app.

BetaTesterHere
Initiate
Initiate
It must be a bug. I have had the same experience. The current work around is to keep this in mind when setting your zone before you invert your image. It took me a few tries to get an accurate zone knowing it would not be inverted along with the image. Very good write up of the problem. FYI I am on the arlo q and made setting adjustments via iOS. Almost seems like the zone setting is based on hardware on the image sensor and image rotation is done via software after the image has been captured.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ABudd4,

It sounds like (please correct me if I'm misunderstanding) your live stream image and your activity zones thumbnail orientation are not agreeing. I have tested this using iOS and the web client and have not been able to reproduce what you are describing. Do you see the same behavior when using the web client as jguerdat suggests above?

JamesC

BetaTesterHere
Initiate
Initiate
Unfortunately, I only use the iOS arlo app. I don't currently have access to a laptop/desktop to test if the behavior can be duplicated there.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can use the iOS web browsers to try to test.  You will have to use the browser's menu to request the desktop version of the web site, however.  

BobQ
Guide
Guide
I just opened the app up for the first time in a few days (on both iPhone and iPad) and all of a sudden both pictures are inverted too. It also tells me that motion was detected and that there is a video but no video appears, what gives ?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

BobQ,

In your camera settings, is the "Invert Image" toggle switched on? Is recorded content inverted or is it just the thumbnail that is showing inverted?

JamesC

johntip
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have this same problem. On IOS or the web, the live view and recorded content are correctly oriented. On the page to set the motion activity zones, the thumbnail is inverted. The zones I've defined are not inverted, however. They are how I defined them before the image was flipped. So the activity zone screen looks pretty ridiculous. The image is upside down and it looks like I'm monitoring the wrong part of the image.

I inverted the image a week ago when I was repositioning the camera, but I switched it back after a few minutes. That was the start of the problem.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

johntip wrote:

I have this same problem. On IOS or the web, the live view and recorded content are correctly oriented. On the page to set the motion activity zones, the thumbnail is inverted. The zones I've defined are not inverted, however. They are how I defined them before the image was flipped. So the activity zone screen looks pretty ridiculous. The image is upside down and it looks like I'm monitoring the wrong part of the image.

I inverted the image a week ago when I was repositioning the camera, but I switched it back after a few minutes. That was the start of the problem.

this MAY help... not sure, but easy to do and try.  I fixed on of my inverted pics this way a while back.

Go into settings and toggle the invert option and then save.... do a second time and save to put back.

Make sure you dump the cache ( from the app ) of the IOS app and then force a stop... Bring the app back up as normal.

( if your not sure if web or IOS, do both clearing the browser cache too  )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Decebal59
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue. Did you ever find a solution?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A recent firmware update for the Arlo Q/Q+ addressed this issue (firmware version 1.8.3_9642).

Please be sure your device is up to date with the latest firmware. Are you still experiencing this behavior?

JamesC