Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 27 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
chmod
Follower
Follower

Why does the Arlo web page require Flash to view the camera live video.  Flash has been shown time and time again to be a HUGE secruity hole.  Something just happened in the last day and I can no longer view camera live video in either Chrome or Safari on my Macbook Pro.   I get a message to upgrade Flash.  I refuse to install anything Flash related.   Why hasn't Netgear upgraded the web page to HTML5 or something secure to view the live stream?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't speak to the HTML5 issue but Chrome still supports Flash. It's just disabled now by default. Here's how to enable it:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Arlo-Pro-cameras-will-not-stream-live-image/m-p/1333915#M1...

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't know why their choice... But have you tried Fire Fox

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
rwinter
Guide
Guide

Damn, most mobile devices don't support flash now (as its a dead technology), which means you can only use their apps to view on those platforms.

deadbarney
Initiate
Initiate

Just bought a set of Arlo cameras and have now discovered this problem too. I have a Windows phone which has neither an Arlo app nor Flash support. In any case, I would reiterate chmod's original comments: why on earth is Flash being used? It's hideously insecure, dying technology. HTML5 video is the defacto standard and has been for years now.

The irony is that I've bought this system to improve the security of my home, and in return it expects me to degrade the security of my computers to make it work! Not a chance.

Deeply unimpressed. If this is the level of suport that can be expected from Netgear then it's going back to the shop it came from.

mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

Has this been resolved? Is there an HTML version yet?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope and we've heard nothing about that being in the works. Doesn't mean it's not being worked on but also doesn't mean it is.

Hughzie
Tutor
Tutor

Issues with desktop view on ARLO. Chrome no longer seems to support Flash, despite upgrade. Where is HTML5? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't speak to the HTML5 issue but Chrome still supports Flash. It's just disabled now by default. Here's how to enable it:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Arlo-Pro-cameras-will-not-stream-live-image/m-p/1333915#M1...

imchrys
Aspirant
Aspirant

Something happened in the last week. I can no longer view live images of my cameras on Google Chrome, my browser of choice.  Even if I allow plug-ins, which I am not happy about, it will not work.  It was fine until about Thursday or Friday of last week.  Unfortunately I work in place where cell phone coverage is not good so have to rely on the internet.  What change or upgrade was done last week?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As noted above, Chrome now disables Flash by default. Follow the link in the post just above hours for the fix.

Hughzie
Tutor
Tutor

Sorry jguerdat  tryed all options suggested. No Joy:

1) Flash enabled in advanced settings

2) Web addresses allowed....https://arlo.netgear.com:443

3) Web addresses allowed....https://arlo.netgear.com

4) Run all Flash content when Flash setting is set to "allow" Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS - Set to Enabled

Any other suggetsions?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The websites added are incorrect. Either use just arlo.netgear.com or [*]netgear.com or just enable Flash with no need for specific websites. Also you have to enable Flash in the Chrome flags as noted.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Saw a mistake in my reply just above - missing a ".".

Should be:

[*.]netgear.com

Hughzie
Tutor
Tutor

Hi jguerdat,

Thanks for the info. Seems to be working now.

Cheers!