Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Distance & Signal Strength Help

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Neckty
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased the Arlo wireless to use in my barn for lambing.. The barn is metal and about 200 ft from the base. The camera works great on the outside of the metal barn but once I put it inside, where I need to see the sheep, the camera can’t get a signal. How can I get the signal in the barn so the camera will work?

5 REPLIES 5
brh
Master
Master

@Neckty

Do you have internet in the barn?

Neckty
Aspirant
Aspirant

No internet in the barn, using internet from the house (at&t). I’ve read a little about possibly bridging but not sure exactly what I need to do that.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You could use a WiFi extender set in a window of the barn so it has a clear shot of your house which may work so the camera can connect to it. A powerline extender may also be useful if the barn is on the same meter as the house. Otherwise you're likely left with running a long Ethernet cable.
Neckty
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes, set up a wireless bridge to the barn.. How can I connect the base at the barn
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You need to use one with an Ethernet port. Not sure what you mean by a wireless bridge to the barn but if it's WiFi only, you can use a WiFi extender with an Ethernert port in the barn to connect to that bridge. It makes the network more complex and costly but should work.