Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Detecting garage door movement

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Arnifix
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi all.

I am trying to find a way to have my Arlo Q detect my garage door opening. The door has a habit of doing this on its own, but the Arlo doesn't detect it. Is there some way I can make the door "detectable" so I can then close the door?

Cheers!
9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Depends on where the camera is in relationship to the door... The Q has the best response to motion as it is pixel based detection ( change in picture )

How far and where is the camera located?

If the camera is in the gargage the Q should have no issue seeing the door open, Even an older Arlo camera does this for me ( it sees the ir/light differences ) but is placed fairly close.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Arnifix
Aspirant
Aspirant
It's a two car garage with two doors and the camera is at the far end from the doors in a corner about 8 feet above the ground, pointing so it can see both of them.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It should see the doors move from across the 20 odd ft....

Check your SENSE levels and adjust slowly higher ( test each time )

OR if possible put some sort of refective/bright tape on the middle panel of door to highlite movement

Arnifix
Aspirant
Aspirant
The sense levels are already at 100% so I'll try the tape! I wasn't sure if that was going to work.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As a secondary question, is the garage lighted or not ?

Arnifix
Aspirant
Aspirant
It's not normally, but a light comes on whenever the garage door opener is triggered.
Tom06
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm suprised it's not picking up the movement of the garage door. The tape idea might help. You could also try audio detection. My garage door makes enough noise for that to work.
Columbian
Aspirant
Aspirant

Try turning the camera sideways so that the garage door is crossing the field of view (e.g. left to right ) as it opens.

Arnifix
Aspirant
Aspirant

Will give this a go, but that is definitely not an idea solution, as it likely won't cover both doors.

The tape idea hasn't worked and the audio idea is unfortunately a no-go as it will trigger a lot of false positives. Am going to set up a garage door monitoring system as well which will hopefully do a better job.