Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Detect moving pixels for recording trigger

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
jayjay1980
Tutor
Tutor

Why can't NETGEAR develop the firmware so it has a dumbed down "window" mode as well to detect moving pixels for the record trigger. Then we can mount them inside if preferred. I thought all cheaply made monitor type systems worked like this. I know I have used a few monitors in this way and detects motion fine in the daytime at least. For night, you would only need an inexpensive IR lamp to light the area outside.

5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jayjay1980,

You might take a look at the Arlo Q/Q Plus cameras. Arlo Q is an indoor wired cameras that has pixel based motion detection.

See here: Arlo Q

JamesC

jayjay1980
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks for your reply James. May I ask where in the specs would I be able to determine if it is pixel based or IR based detection?

Also, why hasn't this been included as a mode for the wireless cameras? Is there a justified rationale or is it just a case of wanting to sell more Arlo Q's and Q Plus's 🙂

I think it would be a great addition to the wireless cameras to have that functionality as well considering some mounting points may not be near a mains power source.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The wireless cameras use passive IR sensors which can't be zoned. The Q cameras lack the PIR sensors so use the image captured by the video sensor to determine motion. As such, it can't be back-ported to the wireless cameras.
jayjay1980
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks for your response. But don't see how the presence of PIR sensors inhibits integration of pixel based motion detection into the Arlo wireless cams. PIR sensors deactivated, no zoning required and pixel motion mode only. I'm just spitballing but it doesn't seem impossible to me. 🙂
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
That would require server-side processing, ignoring the PIR sensors. That would also require the cameras to constantly stream, which would kill batteries quickly.