Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Data usage

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
TrulsZK
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi use Arlo Q camers and ai wonder about data usage for CVR
I want to use CVR where here is no internet. I.e. I have to use cellular and wonder about data usage, will this be a problem?
Any idea or experiences with CVR over cellular (4G)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TrulsZK
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have now used CVR for 5 days 2 cameras 1080p
Data ussage a bit more than 10GB per day. This is too much for cellular internet (4G)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm not quite sure how to interpret my router statistics (Netgear R7000) but the 5GHz WiFi band that the Q is attached to seems to indicate about 3.5KB/s (the WAN port shows 11+KB/s in a relatively quiet scenario, hence my confusion).  Assuming the 3.5KB/s is correct, that should give you an idea of data usage.  Note that a Q camera always streams, regardless of whether you use CVR.

I use 1080p resolution and a 2 minute recording gives a wide range of sizes, from ~2MB to 16MB, obviously depending on the scene and how well that scene compresses.  Using a lower resolution would reduce stream usage.  Earlier recordings at 720p give me more like 3MB file sizes so the stream may be as much as 3x smaller.  YMMV.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

How much bandwidth does an Arlo camera use when it is capturing video?

Each camera uses a different amount of bandwidth based on its video resolution settings. To learn how much bandwidth your Arlo system uses, add the streaming cameras’ bandwidth settings together. If a camera detects low bandwidth, the Arlo system automatically reduces the video stream settings to accommodate lower bandwidth. 

Note: The listed values are approximations.

Arlo Wire-Free Camera:

• Best Video. 700-750 kilobits per second (kbps)
  • Optimized. 450-550 kbps
  • Best Battery Life. 300 kbps

Arlo Q and Arlo Q Plus:

• 1080P. 1500 kbps
  • 720P. 700 kbps
  • 480P. 300 kbps
  • 360P. 200 kbps
  • 240P. 100 kbps
--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
TrulsZK
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have now used CVR for 5 days 2 cameras 1080p
Data ussage a bit more than 10GB per day. This is too much for cellular internet (4G)