Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Compatibility between Arlo Q and Arlo Pro 2?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
BeTheVolp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all. Let me start saying I'm absolutely new with Arlo so please, don't shot me 🙂

I've just bought an Arlo Pro 2 set with 3 cameras. The setup has been easy and it's working just fine. I need to add one camera indoor and been looking at Arlo Q for this as they are cheaper than Arlo Pro 2. Before buying it, I've been looking to understand if I can integrate it with my Arlo Pro 2 system or if it will creaet compatibility issues. I've searched for a similar topic in the community but haven't found a clear answer. Someone who has this setup in place? Thanks for your help P.

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes you can add the Q camera ( IMO, the best one as it has pixel detection ) and it will appear in the web prgm/app along with the others.

Down side is since it is a stand - alone unit ( hooks directly to you home wifi and not the base ), the Q will need to be armed/disarmed as a separate unit too.

( i actually like it in that it has it's own schedule/arming ) ( also you can detect motion thru glass as it does not use PIR to detect motion, just can't use the night vision as it will reflect back )

pic from Q thru double pane glass;

CaptureQ.JPG

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
BeTheVolp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply TomMac.

Having it as stand alone will not allow to interact with the other camera? I mean, if a movement is detected by one of the Arlo, will it be possible to start recording from the Arlo Q and the other way round?

Thanks

P.

@TomMac wrote:

Yes you can add the Q camera ( IMO, the best one as it has pixel detection ) and it will appear in the web prgm/app along with the others.

Down side is since it is a stand - alone unit ( hooks directly to you home wifi and not the base ), the Q will need to be armed/disarmed as a separate unit too.

( i actually like it in that it has it's own schedule/arming ) ( also you can detect motion thru glass as it does not use PIR to detect motion, just can't use the night vision as it will reflect back )

pic from Q thru double pane glass;

CaptureQ.JPG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Unfortunately, you are correct that each Q camera has no way to interact with any other camera or device Arlo produces. I suppose something like IFTTT or SmartThings might be useful here but, as a non-user of these, I have no idea how or whether it would work.

BeTheVolp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks jguerdat.

I've been searching in the meantime about it and yes IFTTT might be a solution and yes, this topic it's discussed (and unsolved) at least since 2016.

I will be taking a shortcut and buying another Arlo Pro 2 camera that yes, will be more expensive but it will be easier to manage.

BR
P.

@jguerdat wrote:

Unfortunately, you are correct that each Q camera has no way to interact with any other camera or device Arlo produces. I suppose something like IFTTT or SmartThings might be useful here but, as a non-user of these, I have no idea how or whether it would work.