Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cannot enable 24/7 recording for Arlo Q

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
DBF2016
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just recently set up two wireless Arlo Q cameras.  I am able to make the camera record and save the images when I choose motion detect or audio detect.  I am able to view the stored recordings on my mobile phone using the app or on my web broswer.  I am also able to live stream from my mobile app or web browser just fine.  However, I am not able to make the 24/7 recording work.  I did purchase the cloud storage option for 14 days, but I don't see any options where I can enable 24/7 recording for either of my cameras.  I have tried the "schedule mode" but that does not seem to work for me at all.  Can anyone help?  I'm pretty frsutrated right now.  I chose this camera so I could record and store video for 24/7 full time length.  Right now I feel like I paid a lot of money for cameras and cloud storage that is not working for me at all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DBF2016
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time to reply, but I don't think you read my post fully.  I had originally stated the following:

"I did purchase the cloud storage option for 14 days, but I don't see any options where I can enable 24/7 recording for either of my cameras."

Your suggestion was to purchase the CVR plan, but as I said, I had already done that. My problem was with figuring out how to enable that feature.  I did eventually figure it out by watching one of the videos.  The UI is not intuitive and the icon-hovers don't work for most of them so it is difficult to figure out how to use some of the features.  After watching the video, I noticed that there is an icon on the top right of the live stream that looks like a partial clock hand.  When you click on that, you can see recording history.  This was not intuitive for me since the feature was not greyed out before I purchsed CVR and then enabled when I did purchase CVR.  The feature was always enabled.  If the fearture had been greyed out and then enabled, then I may have figured it out without having to watch 3 or 4 of the videos until I found the correct one.

Also, I would like to apoligize for not responding earlier but I could not figure out how to get back to my post.  I tried several times to go to the support page and search for my post title, look up by my uid, look for "my posts", etc.  Nothing worked.  The only way I found out about your response was because of the email notification.  And the only way I was able to get back to this page was an email reminder that my post needed to be dispatched (a link was included directly to my post with this email).

So, feel free to mark this one closed.  I would like to suggest a few feature improvements out of this experience:

1. Use the enabled/disabled (grey out) standard UI mechanism to indicate to users when a fearture is/is not enabled

2. Ensure hover-overs work for all icons and link to a short description of the feature from the hover over

3. Fix the support page where you can get to "my posts" quickly and also search for your own posts easily

4. Provide a better description of the "schedule" feature - I understand it now, but I shouldn't have to dig through videos to figure out this kind of feature

Dan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can't specifically record 24/7.  Motion detected recordings can only be 2 minutes or up to 5 minutes if you select the option to record while motion is still detected.  There's also the CVR option ($10/month) you can subscribe to to view the stream that's constantly flowing from your camera.  The only way to record 24/7 is by strating live view and manually record but that raises the issue of file size stored on the servers and how useful that would be, not to mention whether Netgear would limit the size or cut off your recording at some point.

The quick answer is to subscribe to CVR where you can see back in time the whole stream for the length of your plan (7 days using the basic plan).

DBF2016
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time to reply, but I don't think you read my post fully.  I had originally stated the following:

"I did purchase the cloud storage option for 14 days, but I don't see any options where I can enable 24/7 recording for either of my cameras."

Your suggestion was to purchase the CVR plan, but as I said, I had already done that. My problem was with figuring out how to enable that feature.  I did eventually figure it out by watching one of the videos.  The UI is not intuitive and the icon-hovers don't work for most of them so it is difficult to figure out how to use some of the features.  After watching the video, I noticed that there is an icon on the top right of the live stream that looks like a partial clock hand.  When you click on that, you can see recording history.  This was not intuitive for me since the feature was not greyed out before I purchsed CVR and then enabled when I did purchase CVR.  The feature was always enabled.  If the fearture had been greyed out and then enabled, then I may have figured it out without having to watch 3 or 4 of the videos until I found the correct one.

Also, I would like to apoligize for not responding earlier but I could not figure out how to get back to my post.  I tried several times to go to the support page and search for my post title, look up by my uid, look for "my posts", etc.  Nothing worked.  The only way I found out about your response was because of the email notification.  And the only way I was able to get back to this page was an email reminder that my post needed to be dispatched (a link was included directly to my post with this email).

So, feel free to mark this one closed.  I would like to suggest a few feature improvements out of this experience:

1. Use the enabled/disabled (grey out) standard UI mechanism to indicate to users when a fearture is/is not enabled

2. Ensure hover-overs work for all icons and link to a short description of the feature from the hover over

3. Fix the support page where you can get to "my posts" quickly and also search for your own posts easily

4. Provide a better description of the "schedule" feature - I understand it now, but I shouldn't have to dig through videos to figure out this kind of feature

Dan

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Glad you got it figured out.  However, you said you wanted 24/7 recording and you didn't say you got CVR, just the upgraded time plan (14 days).  For the record, selecting the "clock" icon without CVR gets you a prompt to subscribe to CVR - that's why it's enabled regardless of whether you have it.

In any event, thanks for letting us know how you resolved the issues.