Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
TheWorst
Guide
Guide

This is absolutely ridiculous...There are numerous posts with the same issue and no actual fixes, just some stuff that's worked for some users and even at that they're user submitted fixes. Does anyone from Netgard actually monitor these threads. 

- So basically, I cannot view live footage on iOS using my cellular connection (LTE), wifi at home or work, I've also tried on a desktop web browser, I've tried IE, Chrome and get the same message there. 

- I have uninstalled/reinstalled the app at least 10 times with the same issue coming back every single time

- I have reset & re-added the camera to the app almost as many times as I've uninstalled/reinstalled the app, no change

- someone trying to pass themselves off as "support" asked me to do a speed test, trust me when I say my internet 

speeds are the least of my worries. 

- this isn't related to my issue but equally dumb, update your app, I'm being asked to activate touch ID when the phone 

I have doesn't even have touch ID. 

Shoulda gotten a Nest Cam

Sooo disapointed with what looked to be a great product

55 REPLIES 55
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not sure I'd agree with two separate cameras. What have you tried to solve the problem?

jeffhrobertson
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had the same problem and determined that there are two things you can do. This problem arises for me when I have watched the video live for a period of time. If you stop or pause, you get the message "Camera Failed to connect.....  No matter how many times I tried to reconnect, it would fail to connect. It appears the camera is in some sort of loop. To break the loop. Go into settings, Video and change resolution. Then you should be able to reconnect the the camera. Or, unplug the camera from power for a minute and then reconnect

Vesperf
Initiate
Initiate

My arlo q cameras will not recognize my WiFi system so I can not stage them in my security system.

Muddypaw
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I am a brand new user of the Arlo Q+. I have had so many issues today with firstly setting it up , and now constant freezing and 'please wait' and the 'device unable to connect'.

It runs ok for a few minutes then crashes.

It's on Ethernet connection. Motion detection turned off. I just want to view live video feed. 

This is not a great first impression for my $300 investment.

I need something reliable and that doesn't have a 10 second lag on live feed.

So annoying.

Considering returning it for something better, not sure what though.

I am going away soon and need to monitor my home...

Grrrrrrr

Muddypaw

kjf3e
Tutor
Tutor
I initially returned the first camera and had a replacement sent, giving the benefit of the doubt to a new set up, and I moved the camera as close as it could possibly be to the router while being in the room I needed it to be in. I still experienced issues—and the camera would not connect when I was out of town for the weekend. This was the final straw for me. It’s pointless to spend the money for the device and have it not work when you need it most.

I’ve since returned it and expect my refund. Will not be recommending this device to anyone, and I’ve yet to find a suitable replacement.
cyen
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been having a problem with my arlo q camera, where my camera was not connecting so I did all the trouble shooting including resetting and unstalling the camera.  I install the arlo app and it wont allow me to add the camera.  When I try to use new to arlo it takes me through the procedures, when I reach the chime sound it make the sound but disconnect with the orange light.  Can you please help me to add the camera to the app.

cyen
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am have a problem connecting my arlo q camera.  I tried all the trouble shooting including resetting and trying to  re installing arol app.  it wont allow me to add or  use new to arlo.  Each time i tried connecting it, by the time I reach the chime sound I get the orange light.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you opened a case with support here?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

cyen,

You indicate having factory reset the camera, did you also remove the Arlo Q from your account?

Also, you do not need to click "new to Arlo", simply sign in to your existing Arlo account, click "Add Device" select Arlo Q and follow the on screen instructions. Be sure the device you are using the reclaim your Arlo Q is on the same network as the camera.

JamesC

jcsieben
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having the same issue. My environment includes a great deal of wifi interference. I think I need the wired connection with the Arlo Q Plus. Service is super slow with the app.

Wifi security is a terrible way to go!

Also, the cloud service is super slow. Can't you make a microSD version that allows me direct connect to my 150Mbps connection? The Arlo service is mighty slow.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jcsieben,

The issues you are experiencing are likely due to the WiFi interference you describe. What does the signal strength indicator show for your camera? How far from your router is your camera?

JamesC

jcsieben
Aspirant
Aspirant

The WiFi signal strength is 50%.

Additionally, a www.speedtest.net test next to the Arlo Q indicates 74 Mbps, and 50 Mbps on the WiFi. While strength is low, the speed is still fast. 

Third, I've got the camera set to 480p, as the lag on "Live View" is 19 seconds for the 1080p setting.

Lastly, how do I turn off the blinking purple light. It acts like a beacon, when I've set the configuration status light to be OFF. 

Jeff

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Flashing purple indicates poor WiFi strength/signal quality.

jcsieben
Aspirant
Aspirant

I understand what the flashing purple means, but that's a poor reason for it to flash. Here's why...directly from an evaluator of your platform. 

As a user I'm given the option to turn ON and OFF the Status LED.  When I have it disabled, I need it disabled.  Currently, I have the camera inside the house pointing out my front window. The disabled (but-not-really-disabled) Status LED does three things when it blinks purple:

1. It reflects in the window at night, and it generates a great deal of cloud-based recording.
  2. Sends a beacon to my neighborhood I have a camera
  3. Sends a beacon that there's a low WiFi signal, so WiFi can be disabled much easier.  

Please send a message to your engineers and product team to truly allow the user to disable the status LED. It's not desirable. 

PS. You're doing great answer the questions. This is a message to Arlo Product Managers 

Cupz
Tutor
Tutor
I am having the same issue. This cameras suck big time. If the cameras or software were working right not this many people would be having the same issues. My cameras are within 10 feet of my base. The led light is bright blue. Randomly I get the error failed to connect.. this aren’t cheap cameras, how can you guys tell your customers there aren’t any issues when clearly there are. Take some responsibility and accept that you have a big technical issue and fix it. This isn’t acceptable at all. For those looking to buy cameras go to nest, this company seems to be a complete joke
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cupz,

Have you tried rebooting the camera to see if you experience the behavior after the reboot?

JamesC

Cupz
Tutor
Tutor

I've restarted the cameras, took of the batttery, unistalled and reinstalled the app and re synced the cameras.  It is very spotty, it works for a couple of days and then they just stop working. If I do any of the hard reset processes they start working right away, or if I wait they usually stay working a couple of days later.

It is just not sustainable to keep doing these actions over and over again

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Q cameras don't have batteries - you're in the wrong place to get the best help. What cameras do you have?

Cupz
Tutor
Tutor
Arlo pro 2, hmm it seems like the issue is across all cameras
shack01
Guide
Guide

Has there been a fix for this problem yet?  I cannot get the camera to connect.  Tried resetting the resolution but now it says the camera is busy.  This is the main camera that monitors the front door.  It is disconcerting that it has not worked in 44 days.

Lews73
Tutor
Tutor
Same her no live feed. Camera 30cms from router
ColinMHallUK
Initiate
Initiate
I have the same issue. 2 Arlo Qs stuck in the failed to Sync, please retry issue. It’s not the distance to the router or broadband bandwidth. One thing I have noticed is that my Q, though it failed to sync,, has a permanent blue light. The Q isn’t showing up in the app though?? Also I deleted the app and the. Reinstalled but all the cameras (except the Qs of course!) came back. How do I completely wipe Arlo, all cameras and base units PLUS cloud back to factory reset.

Netgear - you are looking in the wrong place for a solution to this ongoing issue. It’s not ya or our cameras it’s your cloud status monitoring software.
ColinMHallUK
Initiate
Initiate

Update in hope it helps others:

I've managed to connect both my Arlo Qs (after > 3 months failure via Mac iPhone X and iPad apps).  I logged in to MyArlo via the Netgear Arlo home page using Firefox (as recommended by another user, you'll probably need to update Adobe Flash but the Arlo web page will prompt for this).

From MyArlo I then used the Add Device service to add both Qs.  QR code recognized immediately, chime sounded, BUT both of mine then performed a firmware update;  there is no warning that this is what's happening and you may get a "taking too long" (can't remember the exact wordin) type of message BUT if you see alternating blue and orange flashing LEDs on your Q, let it continue, thats what its doing.  When left to finish this update, both my Qs added quite happily AND now appear in the Arlo app.

Hope this helps, best of luck everyone.

jcsieben
Aspirant
Aspirant
I tried putting a timer on the router, but that didn't help. The issues is quality of the firmware programming/hardware to be resilient.

Quality of firmware needed to be improved. They're trying to do too much with the hardware, maybe? If we expect too much, the cameras will need Snapdragon 845 processors, and they'll cost even more.

The Blink cameras are a decent alternative. I returned all my Arlo cameras and system for a blink xt system, which is a fraction of the cost, and acceptable. Not the same as wired cameras, but acceptable none the less to me

Jeff
GeorgK
Guide
Guide

I have two cameras. First time connection no problem. Now, after one year, cannot connect again.  Arlo is a very bad product.