Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
TheWorst
Guide
Guide

This is absolutely ridiculous...There are numerous posts with the same issue and no actual fixes, just some stuff that's worked for some users and even at that they're user submitted fixes. Does anyone from Netgard actually monitor these threads. 

- So basically, I cannot view live footage on iOS using my cellular connection (LTE), wifi at home or work, I've also tried on a desktop web browser, I've tried IE, Chrome and get the same message there. 

- I have uninstalled/reinstalled the app at least 10 times with the same issue coming back every single time

- I have reset & re-added the camera to the app almost as many times as I've uninstalled/reinstalled the app, no change

- someone trying to pass themselves off as "support" asked me to do a speed test, trust me when I say my internet 

speeds are the least of my worries. 

- this isn't related to my issue but equally dumb, update your app, I'm being asked to activate touch ID when the phone 

I have doesn't even have touch ID. 

Shoulda gotten a Nest Cam

Sooo disapointed with what looked to be a great product

55 REPLIES 55
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TheWorst,

This could be due to interference or poor signal strength due to range. How far from your router is the camera? Are there any walls or physical obstructions between the camera and the router?

If you move the camera close to the router (within a few feet, only to test) do you still experience the same results?

JamesC

TheWorst
Guide
Guide

Hey James, 

Thanks for replying. I understand this can be an issue with some users, however in this case I can assure it's not the problem. I have a gigabit connection, the router is on top of my entertainment unit and the camera is less than 5 feet away mounted on the wall near the corner, with no obstructions. 

I spoke briefly to one of your support people who wasn't very helpful, and told me to remove the battery from my unit even though the ArloQ doesn't have a battery and is AC powered, and this is after me telling him which model I have. Also I feel like the camera is already close enough, unless I move it right next to my router and like I was saying above there's no more than 4-5 feet at the most between both devices. 

It was all working great the way I've had it set up all along, just one day the live footage option stopped working, I've uninstalled/reinstalled the app more times than I can remember now, this is incredibly frustrating, I'm honestly at the point where I'm ready to throw this in the garbage and get a nest cam. You guys need to get your stuff together.

P.S. what's even dumber about this is that when the camera detects noise/movement, it'll alert me on my phone and I can see footage, but whether at home/work/out somewhere, that stupid live view option isn't working

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TheWorst,

Well, 4-5 feet shouldn't be an issue, as you've concluded. What firmware version is your camera running? You can find this by logging in to your account and navigating to Settings > My Devices > select your Arlo Q > Device Info. You can reference current firmware versions here: Firmware Release Notes

JamesC

henm
Guide
Guide

I completely agree with TheWorst.

Numerous posts with the same problem, but no real advice from the ‘experts’, just comments trying to determine what we are doing wrong! Everyone cannot be doing the same thing incorrectly!

My Arlo Q worked perfectly for 3 days and then ‘failed to connect’. I am now 3000km away from home with no access to the live view streaming option. Since I have had no detection message for a couple of days now I do not even know if the system is still working and there is no way to check (since live view is no longer an option).

Feeling really frustrated!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

henm,

What device are you using to live stream? If you try using a different device, do you get the same results?

JamesC

TheWorst
Guide
Guide

You're absolutely right, there's loads of people with this issue and we're basically getting blamed for "not using/setting up the camera properly, or having poor internet connectivity" I'm also beyond frustrated and am about to just throw this thing in the garbage. 

Save yourself the trouble, buy a Nest Cam and throw this one out. These guys are jokers and don't care about their customers nor have they shown any interests whatsoever in actually fixing this. The James C guy who's trying to "help" will tire of you shortly and just stop responding all together, that's pretty much what happened with me. 

TheWorst
Guide
Guide

Hey James C, 

How about trying to also continue attempting to fix my issue, it remains, I posted a response to your last reply but never heard back. Is this basically your way of admitting there is an issue and that there are no fixes. Look you've been somewhat helpful, but I am BEYOND FRUSTRATED, I paid lots of money for something that's not even working and doing what it's supposed to do. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TheWorst,

I apologize but I don't see a reply to my last response.

Given the level of frustration you've shown here, i'd like to offer assistance by escalating your support case. Please send me a private message with your open support case number or the email address used to set up your Arlo account and I will escalate accordingly.

JamesC

henm
Guide
Guide
I have just arrived home and switched the unit off and on again (as advised by another post) and it is now working again.
There must be some software issue if the unit stops after a couple of days as advised by numerous other posts.
henm
Guide
Guide

Hi. I have now added a timer to my wall socket to switch the unit off (for a minute) and on again every 2nd day. This seems to have solved the issue (but you lose your recorded data each time).

Let's hope there is a patch on the cards to address this issue (not holding my breath)!!

henm
Guide
Guide

Hi JamesC

Any feedback on my other comment - that there may be an inherent software issue here!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm Glad to hear you're no longer getting an error message. There are no software issues that i'm aware of. This error can be the result of a number of possible conditions ranging from poor connection quality to a display issue with the browser being used.

JamesC

TheWorst
Guide
Guide

Hi James, I've sent you a PM, as I mention I apologize for thinking I had replied to your firmware question. But basically firmware version is not the same as the latest, when I log in to the netgear site to check the firmware that way, there is no option to update it (this is the same on IE 11, Chrome Safari - both desktop and mobile). 

However, in the app there is an option to update the firmware, but there weren't any changes to it when I clicked on that. I feel like I may have gotten a dud, I'll do another reset / set up tonight and see what happens, but I honestly don't have much hope and I'll wait to hear from you regarding the PM I sent you.

Thanks

Customer18
Guide
Guide
Your comments are completely correct because I have had the same issue trying to move an Arlo Q from one location to another without being required to begin the setup process again. I have seen similar posts where others will suggest factory resets, ask about Wi-Fi strength, and suggest purchasing a UPS while simultaneously ignoring what appears to be a design flaw, which is sad given how nice the product seems otherwise. I am certain Netgear is aware of the problem, and I am certain it has weighed against the costs of fixing what seems to be a hardware issue. I have returned two Arlo Qs thus far with similar results.
kjf3e
Tutor
Tutor
Having the same issue.
KRNShank
Initiate
Initiate
I'm having this issue as well where I get a persistent "please wait.." when attempting to view the live feed. I have the lastest firmware for my Arlo Q and my Arlo Q is reporting 100 percent signal strength on a gigabit fiber internet connection.

My SmartThings stream also does not work. It just cycles to attempt to stream the feed but fails.
brews4me
Initiate
Initiate

I of course have the same issue.

Pretty sure it's not the camera or wifi connection as everyone is pointing out. And the cameras are close enuf to not be a problem, heck i think they say 300 feet, and walls should not be an issue. My house also does not have lead walls.

It's almost like the router is overtasked or denial of service which makes connecting to camera impossible for some amount of time. My connection eventually comes back but a router reset/restart probably would clear up the issue sooner. Try to imagine the amount of data being pushed both ways for multiple cameras and the Netgear software seems clunky at best to deal with that. Also, not sure how the videos and picts are uploaded to the 7 day servers, you have everything from your net speed going up to the Netgear servers storing this, should be a way to schedule it to be at off times.

brews4me
Initiate
Initiate

My issues have also been when I used the Chrome browser and there seemed to be a Adobe Flash version issue.

I tried Firefox and had much better results!! Also had to update the Flashplayer piece.

Give Firefox a try to login into Arlo and view your devices!

henm
Guide
Guide

Hi brews4me

I am using the Arlo app on my mobule phone, so not much choice. Anyway the wall socket timer option is working for now (as long as I am able to live with only 2 days worth of images - the video log resets itself on restart).

henm
Guide
Guide

Turn the unit off/or disconnect for about a minute at the wall socket and then restart it. The unit will get back to normal. If you need your units to be on all day/everyday the only other option is a timer switch to turn the power off and on occassionally.

Hope this helps.

Dasy
Initiate
Initiate
Hi

I had the same problem. As i got the cam i was at my parents house, to check if everything is alright i connected the Arlo Q to there Network. iIt took 2 try’s to make it working but it work perfectly. Then i did the mistake to remove the cam from my account to reconnect and reregister the Cam at my home. Since then, i could not reconnect the cam anymore and in my account was no cam shown. I tried everything, distance WEP/ WPA2, without security and i disable all Firewallsettings like Net-Bios ot terdo Filter cause i thought it could disturb the communication to the Netgearserver. But nothing works. Then i recognized, that the cam ist properly connected to the router cause it was shown in my device list but no connection to the internet. I took my Cellphone as router and i tried over this way to connect. after 3 try’s, it works perfectly. The only thing i need to do was to change the Network of the cam later to use it in my network.
I guess, there is an issue into the Firmware who makes it impossible to communicate to the Netgearserver. Maybe some routers have an higher build in security manegment who denie the connection. My router is the AVM Fritz Box 7490 an great device with a lot of featuers. Maybe this helps to solve future Problems. The working one was the Fritz box 7360 an older Type of router.
henm
Guide
Guide

Thanks Dasy.

I am sure this will assist some of the users.

henm
Guide
Guide

Disconnect the power (at the wall socket) from the Arlo Q (do not touch the Arlo device) and then wait a couple of seconds before reconnecting the power. The device should reset itself without you having to reload/rescan anything. You should then be able to use the live feed again. Let me know how it goes.

Mike26
Guide
Guide
I have the same issue with one of the Arlo Q cameras. Works for several hours then it falls off the network. After several reset factory settings and trying to add the camera back... it comes online. Then after several hours the same problem comes back. I even replaced the camera... so yes I spent the money to buy another Arlo Q only to have the same problem. Btw... I have two Arlo Pro camera on my Network and after 4 months not once have they lost connection, which tells me this is a camera problem