Blue Light On/Off Fires Motion alert

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Flicker6
Guide
Guide

On occasion (at least 6 times in the last few months) the blue light on two of my four cameras will go on and trigger a motion alert/record.  My cameras (with night vision off) face out the window so I only know of when the light comes on at night because the light bounces off the window and fires the alert.  

Any ideas what might be causing this?

6 REPLIES 6
brh
Master
Master

@Flicker6

Have you tried to go into your settings and turning off the LED. I believe that this model compares images to detect motion, so the images will be different with the led on or off, thus triggering the alert.

Brian

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you're using the camera through a window, you need to disable the status LED.  This setting can be found under Settings - My Devices - <camera name> - Camera LED.  Toggle the "Status Light" to off and it won't happen again.  A blinking blue light may mean that it is reacquiring the wifi signal.

QLEDCapture.PNG
Flicker6
Guide
Guide

Sorry if my post wasn't clear.  The status LED is disabled on all of my cameras.  What I am describing is the light coming on solid (not blinking), staying on for a minute or so and then shutting itself off.  When the light comes on it triggers a motion alert and the camera records a clip.  The clip in the library is the only way I know it happened as I have not observed it myelf.  The light does shut itself off.  I thought maybe software updates being pushed down to each camera might turn the light on and off but it doesn't happen on all the cameras.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I see that once in a while and have over the years. I believe it's actually the purple LED, indicating low signal strength. My camera really shouldn't have an issue but have no idea why it goes off. Others have mentioned that they get the purple low signal LED flash even when signal strength is good every time it's checked. The easy thing to do is to cover the LED witha small piece of black tape and be done with it.

Flicker6
Guide
Guide

@jguerdat

I appreciate the black tape suggestion!.  It wouldn't be the first thing in my home I did that too.  I certainly don't want to be advertising the cameras presence or have the camera draw attention to itself all on its own.

Thanks

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I actually use a black post-it note with a one-inch hole (made by a scrapbook hole cutter) in the middle to cover the entire camera to prevent reflections off of the window glass.  I need to replace it every few months dues to UV bleaching, but it works pretty well.