Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
nixonandmaude
Tutor
Tutor

Have tried to connect many times. Have reset unit. Putting the correct wifi name and password in. It will scan QR code but just goes till to drops off and lamp on Q flashes fast.. Standard camera connects perfect.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nixonandmaude
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks guys, you were spot on. It was the way I was entering login details.
Thankyou
Mark

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The usual issue is use of non-alphanumeric characters, including spaces, in either the SSID or passphrase.  You can try enabling the router's guest account, if possible, to see if that works.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

nixonandmaude,

Were you able to resolve this issue? Adding to what jguerdat mentions above, take a look at this article if you are still experiencing problems: Can special characters in a network name cause problems for Arlo Q?

Please let us know,

JamesC

nixonandmaude
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks guys, you were spot on. It was the way I was entering login details.
Thankyou
Mark
Pham75
Tutor
Tutor
I have the same problems can't do it 😞
Pham75
Tutor
Tutor
May need to return
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you read the directions and the suggestions/fixes here?  You don't give us anything to work with - we need details.

jvj24601
Tutor
Tutor

I am new to Arlo.  I just recieved my first Arlo Q.  On install, I get to the point of adding camera to my WiFi network, but it won't sync.  My wireless router password is all letters, no spaces or special characters.  The camera is 5 feet from my router so signal should be strong.  When I hold the QR code in front of the camera it just continues to slow blink blue, then times out with a buzz sound and camera goes back to blinking amber.  I have performed a reset on the camera as suggested, but issue remains.  I have tried this process 5 times now.  Thoughts?

nixonandmaude
Tutor
Tutor
Maybe reset the Q by inserting small pin next to switch. Restart process completely and double check wifi name and password. Try your details with an I phone to confirm it will connect. Good luck. Mark
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Also, BOTH the passphrase and the SSID can't have special characters in them.

jvj24601
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the replies.  My SSID is alphanumeric, and my password is all letters. Neither contain spaces or special characters.  I did disconnect my smartphone and successfully joined it back to my network when manually entering in SSID and password.  I also have a laptop I did the same with.  Other devices work, not Arlo Q.  why?  Also, what if either SSID or password does have special characters?  Do I have to change the SSID and/or password to accomodate Arlo Q?  That's rediculous.  Does anyone know if Netgear is working on changing that???

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jvj24601,

With the latest Arlo Q firmware most special characters are supported. This may or may not be an issue without knowing what firmware your Arlo Q is on.

I realize you indicate that your SSID/Password does not contain any special characters but it may be worth trying to connect your Arlo Q to a guest network as described here: Can special characters in a network name cause problems for Arlo Q?

If you can connect to your guest network, allow the firmware to update and then try swapping back to your primary network.

JamesC

jvj24601
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you all for any suggestions.  I chatted with a rep and went thru many steps and nothing could be found to be the culprit on my router.  The rep finally suggested using the WPS button on my router to sync the camera.  I did not know you could do that.  I did that and it worked.  So still not sure why it wouldn't accept the QR code method and entering wifi password manually...anyway, the issue is resolved.

In case someone needs the procedure for WPS, you simply follow the original instructions up to pressing the sync button and get the blue flashing light.  At that point, when the camera is flashing blue, you press the WPS button on the router and, for me, i finally got the high pitched chime to indicate it sync'd.  This took maybe 20-30 seconds.  Then on the app, you just continue to press 'continue' thru the point where it asks you if you heard the chime and camera is sync'd.  Even when you get to the screen that asks you to input the SSID and password, just press 'continue' without inputting anything.  I also realized that, as a first time set up, the camera will continue to blink blue until it connects with ARLO srever, but it won't actually do that until you continue thru the set up and create your account/password and accept policies.  Then it seemed to connect to ARLO server and then told me to upgrade firmware, which I did.  Looks to be working now.  Thanks all!

9LINETACTICAL
Initiate
Initiate
Arlo Q was working fine. Stopped and needed to be reconnected it will show QR coad and male sound but never connects and eventually starts blinking slow purple.
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

jvj24601 wrote:

...In case someone needs the procedure for WPS, you simply follow the original instructions up to pressing the sync button and get the blue flashing light.  At that point, when the camera is flashing blue, you press the WPS button on the router and, for me, i finally got the high pitched chime to indicate it sync'd.  This took maybe 20-30 seconds.  Then on the app, you just continue to press 'continue' thru the point where it asks you if you heard the chime and camera is sync'd.  ...

THanks for reporting this!  This undocumented feature will likely save a lot of peoples' time, although it is not as magic as the QR code procedure.

AdrianGall
Tutor
Tutor

I too had this problem but I resolved it by changing the phone I was using.

I had an old(ish) smartphone and the QR code wasn't that clear.  Tried my wife's newer phone and the QR Code was larger and clearer and worked in a couple of seconds.

A later test on a tablet resulted in a lot bigger QR Code and again worked almost immediately.