Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q will not complete setup

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
Cdrridg
Star
Star

I just received my Arlo Q - unboxed - went through the setup process - after scanning the QR code, it makes a razzberry like noise and goes back to blinking amber light - it won't connect - What's going on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cdrridg
Star
Star

Ah - capitalization on the network name is important apparently...got it working 🙂

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
Cdrridg
Star
Star

Ah - capitalization on the network name is important apparently...got it working 🙂

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cdrridg,

Yes, the SSID and password information is case sensitive. I am glad to hear you resolved the issue!

JamesC

Ebeck
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having the same issue and I ensured PW was typed in correctly.... Help
Ebeck
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having same issue.. Help!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try a reset on the camera via the reset button.  Maybe...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ebeck,

Please let us know if a factory reset solves the issue. As jguerdat says above, hold the reset button down for 20-30 seconds until you hear a click sound. The camera will reboot and try again to claim the Arlo Q on your account.

JamesC

Ebeck
Aspirant
Aspirant
Did not work...
Cdrridg
Star
Star

Not just the password - the network name is case sensitive - you must put it in EXACTLY as it shows up.

Ebeck
Aspirant
Aspirant
It finally connected after 5 mins, but now it's off line.. Please advise?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ebeck,

What is the behavior of the LED on the camera? If the camera is too far from your router, or the signal is too weak, it will struggle to maintain a connection. Bring the camera close to the router to see if it comes back online.

Please let us know!

JamesC

JustinJabara
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having all the same issues as previously mentioned. I have checked my password and network id for capilatizaion errors. It originally connected and then immediately went off line. It was sitting within 1 ft of the router. The light just did a slow "blue blink". 

Next step: I removed the device from my account and attempted the setup all over again.  Now the unit will not connect at all. Any ideas????

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JustinJabara,

Consider a factory reset of the Arlo Q by pressing and holding the reset button for 20-30 seconds until you hear a click. After the camera reboots try going through setup again.

JamesC

JustinJabara
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi JamesC.

I have performed the factory reset about 10 times with no success. The same issue is still occuring. Any other ideas?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If ensuring that the SSID and passphrase are entered properly, INCLUDING ANY CAPS, I'd open a trouble ticket.  You may just have a bad camera.  You could also try replacing it from the place you purchased it from.

22LSC
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having all of the above same issues.  Now they are telling me that I need to remove all security from my router for setup, then install and reinstall security.  So far this hasn't worked.  I am using a D-Link router.  I also have a 5 camera system that works perfectly.  I would like to have 2 Arlo Q's, but ONLY if I can get the first one working...

calete
Aspirant
Aspirant
Have reset password 20 times and I know my password is correct. WHAT a waste of money FTC time
calete
Aspirant
Aspirant
I spent my hard earned money on this product and it hasn't worked day one. It's only right to refund in full
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JustinJabara,

Consider contacting the Arlo Support Team for further investigation of this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

22LSC, calete

Does your SSID contain any special characters? What is the behavior of the LED indicator when trying to sync your Arlo Q? Does it make any sounds after scanning the QR code?

Please let us know so we can further assist!

JamesC

Obomc72
Initiate
Initiate

was trying to add an Arlo Q camera to my existing wireless camera in the same room. The range for motion detection is 15ft and it did not provide sound... So I bought the Arlo Q and mounted it in the same room, closer to the subject (my sleeping father) so that I can detect when he gets out of bed ( at risk for falls). I use my Apple I-phone 6-plus with the iOS App... The wireless Arlo camera is working perfectly! ...so then I go through the steps to add the Arlo Q, the screen comes up with the network name/password and the network name is auto-filled, all capital letters & no special characters, I put in the password, get the screen code & the "chime"... Wait for connect with blinking blue light... But then I get the "Buzzer" & it goes back to blinking Amber! I tried the reset button TWICE, till it ""clicked"and went through it all again, and it does the same thing. If my password ends in a special character, is that enough to make it fail?? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't know what special characters cause the failure but I can report that underscores (_) are an issue. It may well be that character at the end of your password.

@JamesC - can you provide a list of disallowed characters?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Obomc72,

It is likely that the special character is enough to make it fail. You could try setting up a guest network that does not contain special characters in the SSID/password and after the Arlo Q updates firmware you can change it to your primary network and disable the guest network. For instructions on the process take a look at this article: Can special characters in a network name cause problems for Arlo Q?

jguerdat,

Some common examples of special characters that are known to cause issues are described in the above article. I will see if I can find out more information on this.

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

So, these are known to cause problems:

apostrophes, spaces, dashes, or hyphens as well as my discovery of underscores

stacybell05
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've done the factory reset, I've removed the special character from my wifi and still no luck. My regular wireless Arlo camera work perfectly - but the Q is driving me nuts trying to get it to connect!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

do you have a guest account you can turn on.....then try and link to that.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------