Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q - temporary disconnections from router

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
mike_marin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I have been using a new Arlo Q camera connected to my Dovado router for a few weeks now, and have noticed unexplained disconnections from the Arlo servers as the camera is shown to be offline and the rela-time view is inaccessible. I have also noticed when this happens the LED is purple. For some reason this has been happening once every two or three days for, anywhere between 10 minutes to a few hours (this is difficult to tell as I cannot establish exactly when it goes online again).

In any case here's the summary of my Arlo Q problems so far :

1. Cammera is offline when it should be active or scheduled.
  2. Purple LED is steady on when it should be steady blue.
  3. Disconnection is usually temporary, but the camera comes back online etc. If it dies not come back online I need to reset the camera, unplug/plug back.

My internet connection seems to be ok as I can usually use my other wifi/ethernet connected devices without issues.

I am not sure of the cause but the purple light LED on seems to indicate a server connection issue and not really a router / wifi problem.

I am thinking about installing another Arlo Q but would like first to resolve any issues that have occured before I go add another ...

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions/fixes.

Regards, mike

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can't say that I've seen a purple LED but it may be because I haven't seen the camera without an Internet connection. Also, I would have to question the Dovado router - the quick look at it on their website shows that it's a 3/4G hotspot and that may be part of the problem.  Maybe it's the router (or modem), maybe it's the cell service, maybe it's the way the Q camera has to communicate with the servers through the devices.  You seem to be on your own here - no one else that I've seen has used this equipment so there's no wealth of information to pass on.

When there's no connection/purple LED, does the router show an IP address for arloq?

mike_marin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

The dovado device is a router with support for 4G modems and hotspots, but it is just a standard router regardless, with Wifi and ethernet ports etc.

The purple LED seems to indicate the camera is connected to Wifi but not to the internet, so this is why it appears off-line. It is happening a little too often for my liking ...

It could be due to an internet connectivity issue, but I would like to understand if this happens to other users or is the internet connectivity issue not really an issue most of the time for others ??

Regarding the IP address, well I will look into it. Just as a thought, are there any particular ports that may need to be opened up for the camera generally speaking ??

Cheers, mikem

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've used the Q camera with two different routers, an Asus RT-N66U as well as a Netgear R7000 with no issues. It's possible that either one of your devices, the camera or the router, has an issue. Maybe a factory reset on the Q would be in order and even one for the router. It's certainly not normal behavior. Opening a trouble ticket for the camera may help with a resolution, too.

Ports 80, 443 and 123 to Netgear.com should be open.

JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
One Arlo Q was showing as not connected but the others were and they were all on the same wifi at the time and the others had power. Another Q nearby was live streaming. What could be the problem?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's a variety of potential issues that could cause this, from poor WiFi to a bad camera. Since you have multiple cameras, try swapping the suspect camera with a good one to see if the problem stays with the camera or position. It may also be useful to delete the camera and resync it.