Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
B_Jones
Tutor
Tutor

Until this past week, we’ve been using our Arlo Q as a baby monitor during the night. Previously whenever there was a connection drop the app would automatically reconnect. The drops were annoying but seemed to be unavoidable. I’ve tested having both my phone and the camera within 3 feet of my router with direct line of sight and it would still blip the connection occasionally (maybe once or twice an hour). Now however, if the connection drops, the app doesn’t reconnect. I’ve woken up the past several mornings to no camera.

It seems to be an app problem and not a camera problem because both my wife and I can be on the app with separate accounts and one will drop but not the other. The camera seems to stay connected just fine. This seems to be related to the recent app update (we both have iPhones), but the Amazon Echo Show has always done this (different platform so maybe app coding is different?)

I have no desire to buy another $100+ baby monitor, so if someone has a solution to this I’d greatly appreciate it. I did see an similar older post under Arlo Baby, but that was at least a year old and was resolved with a firmware update. Everything I have has been updated and restarted.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Jarokdin

Thank you for the information. Yes, Please find the following article regarding live streaming. Why has the Arlo app stopped live streaming?

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't have 2 people monitoring my Q but I've had recent issues where a drop in WiFi has caused me to have to power cycle the camera. Both the app and web show the camera offline and nothing short of removing power helps. Don't know that your issue is the same since one of your devices can still connect but might be worth a try. It's not a firmware issue since there hasn't been one in a long time so I don't understand what would cause the issue (unless the camera is starting to go).

Denisengarcia
Aspirant
Aspirant
We’ve been having the exact same
Issue for a Few days now. It’s also our baby monitor. Have you figured anything out?
gary13
Tutor
Tutor

I have the exact same issue for a few days now. It’s also my baby monitor.  I don't think there was a app or update. I also tried to reset the camera and its the same. Please share if you find anything. I will do the same.  Thanks!

B_Jones
Tutor
Tutor

No news yet but I’ll share if I find something out. There was an iOS update 3 days ago, which is when the problem started. Description says bug fixes, but it seems like they just introduced a new one. 

turingbombe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I've had the same issue with this on my iPad. Really frustrating as the app will freeze in the middle of the night and never reconnect!

Shocker19
Tutor
Tutor
We're having the same issue with it Arlo babies. Hoping for an update soon!
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Just to clarify, are you experiencing this issue with the Arlo Q or the Arlo Baby cameras?

turingbombe
Aspirant
Aspirant

In my case it is with the Arlo Q

B_Jones
Tutor
Tutor
Arlo Q
gary13
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo Q - I have the eero mesh WiFi system, network signal is not the problem.

Shocker19
Tutor
Tutor
Arlo baby x2. I had to disconnect them had some difficulties reconnecting them, but they are currently doing okay.
Denisengarcia
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo q
Jarokdin
Initiate
Initiate

We started having this same issue.

We have two Arlo Q's and use the live streaming as a baby monitor setup. The disconnects weren't too bad before because they reconnected, but around a week or 2 ago it started disconnecting and not automatically reconnecting. I set timers last night and it seems to time out at almost exactly the 30 minute mark.

Doesn't sound like the Arlo Baby users have had better luck since the same timeframe.

I went out and got a better wifi setup than I had before I checked these forums. My connections are far better and more reliable, but the app and website both time out at the 30 minute mark still.

Seems like there's an Arlo article from August of last year which says the app will only live stream for 30 minutes and references the Arlo Q models (https://kb.arlo.com/000062226/Why-has-the-Arlo-app-stopped-live-streaming). This obviously hasn't been the case for the last several years I've been using the Arlo Q as a baby monitor.

It's hard to tell if this new behavior is intended or not. I really wish Arlo would let us know at least. The latest updates made no mention of this change.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Jarokdin

Thank you for the information. Yes, Please find the following article regarding live streaming. Why has the Arlo app stopped live streaming?

turingbombe
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ShayneS thanks for the link but as @Jarokdin mentioned, this is not behavior that was experienced with the Arlo Q previously. We've been using the ArloQ as a baby monitor for almost 18 months and did not experience this issue until the past week.

B_Jones
Tutor
Tutor
Agreed. This has not been the behavior we’ve been experiencing as we’ve been using the Arlo Q since Sept/Oct as a baby monitor throughout the night with no issue. We bought the unit specifically for a baby monitor and had we known the “regular” usage was 30 minutes of continuous viewing, we would not have spent the money. I’m 100% sure that wasn’t on the packaging. Please provide an update that gives you the option for continuous viewing. It’s clearly a desired feature.
Jarokdin
Initiate
Initiate
@ShaneS So just to be clear, the function I purchased the Arlo Q for, live streaming through the night because it was able to do that, is no longer a supported feature and Arlo isn't intending to change that?
Arlocus
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am in the same boat. Have been using 2 ArloQ's as baby monitor which are effectively busted now. I would have returned the Arlo's had the unlimited live streaming not worked 

Denisengarcia
Aspirant
Aspirant
Did you get the monthly service ? Which one and is it worth it?
gary13
Tutor
Tutor

Bummer, got a response back from support saying the same thing. Alro app will automatically shut off after 30mins. I wish I knew this when I made the purchase. I wouldn't of bought these cameras. I really hope they update the app so users can change the settings. 

aa021812
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi everyone,

I'm in the same boat as well. I initially got the Arlo Q plus with the same intent to use it as a baby monitor. (Then eventually repurpose it for home security use!)

https://kb.arlo.com/000062226/Why-has-the-Arlo-app-stopped-live-streaming#

The above article that Arlo published indicates that the automatic 30 min timeout not only includes Arlo Q but also Arlo Baby! This totally defeats the purpose of the product. 

Has anyone had any luck with getting past this 30 min timeout with support?

rev1274
Aspirant
Aspirant

HI I also have the same issue

If arlo doesn't fix it, does anyone know any app from the Iphone, that when you run the app, it makes the Ipad/iphone active and won't DC? 

rev1274
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nvm. I'm dumb. I thought if the app was on and the Ipad goes inactive, then the video would stop for 30min. But anyways if this keeps continuing, I might as well return my camera's and look for one that I can do live streaming 24/7.