Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Jodes
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo Q camera has been working perfectly for the last three months (since I first installed it) - live streaming working perfectly and sound/motion alerts being sent as appropriate. However, 5 days ago I realised I had not received any motion alerts (I get two every night when a table lamp on an auto timer turns on and off). I am overseas at the moment so cannot access the camera - I can only access the camera via the iPhone App. But I cannot access the camera via the App - it won't allow me to live stream...it just times out and goes back to the snapshot from 5 days ago. I also can't arm/unarm the camera via the App. It is important I get the camera up and running again as it is part of my house security system. Any advice please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jodes
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got my camera working again by getting someone to go to my home and turning the power off to the camera for a few minutes then turning it back on again. Another Netgear community member indictaed there is a bug with the camera that makes it lock up after a period of continued use. This member indicated that he now has his camera on a timer so that the power is turned off to it for a minute each day to stop the locking up problem. Is this something I need to consider moving forward?

Many thanks

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jodes,

Consider accessing your Arlo account from a different device (web client via PC/laptop) to see if you get the same behavior.

You might also consider uninstalling the app and installing a fresh version from the App Store.

You can also attempt to reboot the Arlo Q remotely by logging in to your Arlo mobile app and navigating to Settings > My Devices > select the Arlo Q > Restart

JamesC

THESHOWSTOPR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the same problem and in the same situation , have tried all the suggestions with no luck 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

THESHOWSTOPR,

Consider a factory resetting your Arlo Q by logging in to your Arlo account and navigating to Settings > My Devices > select your Arlo Q > Remove Device.

Allow the camera to come back online and click "Add Device" on the cameras screen. Follow the on screen instructions to connect the Arlo Q to your account.

JamesC

THESHOWSTOPR
Aspirant
Aspirant

thanks James 

will give that a try when I get back home

Jodes
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the App with no success. I have also tried accessing the camera via my laptop - when attempting to connect to live streaming it continues to time out with a message saying 'unable to connect to camera'. I also tried 'restarting' the camera via the App and my laptop with no success. When I attempt to restart via my laptop I get a message saying 'unable to restart - camera busy'.  

With your advice to 'remove device' then 'add device'...can I do this remotely or do I need to be in proximity to the camera? I am overseas at the moment and therefore, remote from the camera.

Your advice is appreciated.

Cheers

Jodes

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Perhaps James can advise you on a way to reconnect your camera remotely, but I have been unable to do it when this happens to me.  My Q and Q Plus cameras lock up every few weeks, requiring a local restart to get them working again.  This is one reason I have setup an automatic timer that removes power from the camera for one minute every day.  This completely fixes the lock up issue, and also helps with the ghosting issue (although I get ghosting still in 10% of my recordings).  I suspect that Netgear will need to implement something similar into the Q firmware to keep it from degrading over time, or actually fix the root cause of the problems.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jodes,

When factory resetting an Arlo Q, you would need to be physically present alongside the device to be able to reconnect the Arlo Q after the reset.

I would advise you to contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate the issue considering you are not able to be present with the device at this time. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

Jodes
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got my camera working again by getting someone to go to my home and turning the power off to the camera for a few minutes then turning it back on again. Another Netgear community member indictaed there is a bug with the camera that makes it lock up after a period of continued use. This member indicated that he now has his camera on a timer so that the power is turned off to it for a minute each day to stop the locking up problem. Is this something I need to consider moving forward?

Many thanks

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jodes,

I have not been able to replicate the issue you (and hokeysmoke) have described. I will escalate your description of the issue.

I am glad to hear that you were able to get your Arlo Q back to behaving as expected with a restart.

Please let me know if you need any additional help or experience this again in the future.

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd suggest contacting Support if this happens on a regular basis since it would seem to suggest faulty hardware.

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

To me it suggests faulty software, not hardware.  When an issue is repeatable across multiple brand new units, it is not likely to be hardware.  The Q and Q Plus microprocessors have quite a bit to do since they act as both cameras and base stations, so IMHO there is more opportunity for bugs in the software than the hardware.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Could well be but the best way to get attention to this is to create a trouble ticket.

Trucha
Apprentice
Apprentice
I to on Arlo Q no recordings or notifications nor able to live stream til disonnecting power then working fine now Good Boy Arlo
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Swap the cameras at the store if you're still in the return period or contact support as noted above.  Might just be bad hardware - I don't understand why so many people seem to just fight with the problems, getting frustrated, when it may well be bad hardware that can only be resolved with an RMA or swap.

RobertSPrice
Aspirant
Aspirant
Has anyone determined what causes this issue? I have the exact same problem.
Jodes
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all

Thank you all for your feedback.

I was unable to rectify the problem remotely via suggestions provided using the iPhone app or online via laptop...so had someone go to my house and turn off the power to the camera and turn it back on again. And it is now working perfectly again thank goodness!

Note: I logged this problem with Netgear technicians and similar advice was provided to what was provided in this discussion.

Cheers

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RobertSPrice,

More information is needed to better understand the issue you are describing. What is the LED behavior on your Arlo Q? Do you see any error messaging for your Arlo Q when logged into your account? As a first step, consider power off the Arlo Q, allow it to come back online and try again.

JamesC

JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
I can change mode on the Arlo Q but cannot live stream. There have been no recordings for 2 days. Does anyone have a way of remotely resolving this?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Try using the Restart button in Settings, My Devices, your camera.