Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
devotchko
Luminary
Luminary

Since the Arlo Q cameras are always broadcasting video, even when UNARMED, and since they do not connect to the base but to your own WIFI network, does this mean that some bandwidth is always taken up by the camera, even when it is not activated? Any official word on this, Arlo?

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

HUH! Dunno why I hadn't thought to check that. Using the router's interface, I see 40-42kB/s outgoing and 1-2kB/s incoming. Steady stream...

Edit: forgot to mention that this is at 1080p.

devotchko
Luminary
Luminary

Well, if this is all that is constantly streaming while the camera is deactivated that would not be too bad, even for 2 cameras. Can anybody else chime in?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

devotchko wrote:

Since the Arlo Q cameras are always broadcasting video, even when UNARMED, and since they do not connect to the base but to your own WIFI network, does this mean that some bandwidth is always taken up by the camera, even when it is not activated? Any official word on this, Arlo?

Just did a check...

Motion activated on Q cam... very little band width prob a few k but nothing really to worry about

Running live view or record mode.... steady 300-500k ,  with regular peaks to 1.5mb/s every sec or so

Edit ..what I really noticed was the diff between the UP and the DL while watching a live view... can you say compression

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As A PS.... here's the specs from Netgear;

How much of my internet connection’s bandwidth does Arlo Q video streaming use?

Arlo Q cameras use the following bandwidth when they are streaming:

1080P = 1500 kbps

720P = 700 kbps

480P = 300kbps

360P = 200kbps

240P = 100kbps

However, when you are not logged in or when there is no motion, bandwidth is reduced to about 100 kbps at 1080P.

Morse is faster than texting!
devotchko
Luminary
Luminary

I tried looking for this info myself before I posted, but couldn't find it. Thank you for posting this.