Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q can't connect, stuck at discovering

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
KOG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all,

excited to get my first Arlo but unfortunately ran into issue when I get stuck at the "discovering" stage of the installation through the app (on iphone) or website (on PC).

Did almost all suggestions from the forum like:

- reset the device.

- create guest network with simple SSID and PW and connect from there.

Went through the QR code with the confirmation sound everytime, but get stuck at discovering step with blue light keep blinking.

I verified that "arloq" as a device actually showed up on my router's dhcp list (that it has connected to the router successfully with an IP address) (both my standard network and guest network) and I can ping the device "arloq" from my PC.

My router is from ATT uverse and it was working with multiple devices ranges from normal PC/iphone/ipad/Amazon Echo/Google Home/Nest...

I am running out of options here. Do you guys think I got a defective device?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Swap at the store or open a case with support.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Try a reset, holding the button down until the camera clicks and the LED flashes amber. Sync again. Any luck?
KOG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for replying. Yes I did reset the device that way (use a wire to push the tiny button until it clicks/change color to amber) multple times to try on different changes that I can come up with to no avail.

Also again the weird part is that my network sees the device "arloq", and has assigned an IP to it, and I can ping it with resonse from my PC, which hopefully eliminate the SSID/PW question. The app or website just can't discover it for some reason...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Swap at the store or open a case with support.
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

you can try this,.........

As mentioned reset your Arlo Q, then power reset your AT&T U-verse router  After your U-Verse router comes back try resyning your Arlo Q.

KOG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Update:

Actually I purchased two Arlo Q. Got the second one today and get it to work with my primary network (with special characters SSID/PW) within 5 mins. Pretty sure at this point that my network is fine, and the first one is probably a defect. Gonna go and exchange the first one. Thank you guys!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Newer firmware increased the ability to connect to WiFi using special characters so it may be that the non-syncing camera has older firmware.  If you want, you could try setting it up on someone else's WiFi, let it update, and then move it to your house.  Change the WiFi in Settings, My Devices, your camera and it should connect if it's not a faulty camera.

KOG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just want to thank all for your help. I want to give an update to this case: so I ended up going through four installations with four Arlo Qs total, only this one refuse to get discovered so I believe it's a hardware issue and has been returned as a result (FYI I did use guest/simple SSID/PW for troubleshooting purpose and it doesn't work).

So for all future users if the cam doesn't discover even with simple SSID/PW (no special characters) maybe it's wise not to waste time and just return/replace it.

Ktriordan
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had to buy another router with more bandwidth-netgear router. Now all 4 cameras connect perfectly!