Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q VMC3040 - Ceased Connecting After Arlo S/W "Upgrade"

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
rcsayers
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Q worked without fault since purchase in April 2018. Following recent s/w upgrade (Feb or March 2019) it declines to connect, ie it is NOT found by my (Android) arlo app. The procedure has been followed rigorously from my smartphone; the wifi password is pure alphanumeric, the chime is heard. The Arlo q is visible with correct MAC number in my router listing, on 5GHz network, but the app fails to find it. I have reset using the paperclip twice, refreshed the router, and tried everything else. The software "upgrade" appears faulty and an edited version needs issued, please. OR ADVISE!

10 REPLIES 10
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @rcsayers

Have you tried to sync the camera using a computer?

rcsayers
Aspirant
Aspirant

Shayne

Yes, I have gone through the same connection procedure on my W10 PC, but after hearing the chime, there is a delay followed by the message "taking too long to find your device " followed by the buzzer and  "We were unable to find your device".

Incidentally, I could not present the Arlo to my (desktop) PC screen if it were in its correct location.

I have followed the advice to do a factory reset by holding a paperclip in for 10 seconds and repeated the above, with exactly the same outcome.  

What next?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Due to the amount of issues described I have opened a case for you. I will contact you via private message with further information.

rcsayers
Aspirant
Aspirant
1. No PM or phonecall received by 3rd April.
2. After the "failure to find device" messages, the Arlo Q is listed on the router as connected (identified by MAC number as well as by name): why is the Arlo Android app unable to find it?
3. Device has appeared on 5GHz and on 2.4GHz listings on different occasions after "unable to find" messages. In each case the Arlo's IP address is in the midst of a bunch of others with similar IP addresses on the same network, all of which connect without problems.
4. Router is standard Plusnet Hub1, Sagemcom device on a FTTC Plusnet connection. I have cycled this, and unplugged it, to no avail.
5. The ArloQ remains UNUSABLE without a connection: I need a little help please - or must I abandon and take my business elsewhere?
RC Sayers
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Dumb question but the phone is on your WiFi, right?  ALso, have you tried using a computer browser?

rcsayers
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi jguerdat

I have (as previously noted) attempted connection to the Arlo Q via browser window (Chrome) on my W10 PC,  with same failure as using the Android app. Router also has connected via wifi 2 Android phones,  2 Android tablets,  and assorted other devices,  all of which work OK.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A final attempt - try rebooting the router.

rcsayers
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat

I have rebooted the router already, and (separately) even switched it off for 5 minutes before rebooting.  The Arlo is currently sitting about 4 feet from the router.  Using the Android Arlo app has just produced the same failure as all the other times - a chime, but then failure to find the Arlo: this time it is not even listed on the router page.

Clearly a fault somewhere: is there any way of testing the Arlo further? I have reset it twice already.

Next I will try to connect to a friend's router, when I can organise this.

Failing any progress with Arlo I will then try to get the router tested.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can also open a case with support:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

rcsayers
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat  my Arlo device connects perfectly with friend's Hub 1 router in another house, so I conclude that my problem is in fact with my Hub 1 router and not with the Arlo Q.  So - thanks for help, and I expect my problem to be solved by Plusnet, in which case you will not hear from me again on this topic!