Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q Streaming Service Down

Discussion stats
  • 28 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
ensanguined
Apprentice
Apprentice

My Arlo Q refuses to allow me to live stream the feed (pressing the Live icon on the image), popping up this error:

"We are sorry, the streaming service is currently down. Please try again."

Also, it does not record movement (i.e. no motion detection is occurring).

I have reset/switched it off at least 5 times and tried to live view on 3 different PCs on different networks (each with 2 different browsers) and on 1 mobile device using the Android Arlo app.

Seems like the CVR is working fine though, so what the #### is going on?

Thanks.

28 REPLIES 28
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Whew!  WHile trying to respond here, I had to power cycle my Q so I could test it and then the forums went down for a few minutes.  We're back now, though.

I have no issue with the streaming but I did have a black screen when live viewing.  CVR seemed to be having a problem so I power cycled.  That fixed the black screen but it took a minute for live view and CVR to come back to life - I got the streaming service message.  The timing between your post and mine is significant so maybe something happened that's fixed now.

pom_boy
Guide
Guide
My Arlo Q currently reports that the 'streaming service is down'. It is only by luck that I am at the remote camera location and can provide my own security with respect to my unhinged neighbour.
If the streaming or cvr or live image service goes down, Netgear you must, repeat must, send users a push notification. Otherwise there is no way that Arlo provides a viable alternative to a traditional closed circuit security system.
Presumably I'll get a refund of my monthly subscription fee for cvr?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you restarted the camera?  I've been dealing with some issues myself that a camera restart fixes.  Not sure what's going on so I opened a case while I try to figure out whether it's a bad camera or something else.  My case is for missing videos in the library while CVR shows that a recording was made.  Could be a symptom of bigger issues.

pom_boy
Guide
Guide
Yes - have restarted camera. Does not fix. Streaming service still down. Netgear - any answers please?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I have no issues at the moment. Open a case with support.
ensanguined
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:
I have no issues at the moment. Open a case with support.

In what halcyon, bullcrap world do you live in where because a problem is not happening to you then it must not be happening at all, and where opening a support case with foreign call centre staff who are outsourced to act on behalf of six different companies at the same time actually does anything, yet interacting directly with Netgear support employees on their community forum does NOTHING?

Why isn't someone knowledgeable telling us what the meaning of this error is? HELP

So sick of these useless Arlo products. Time to start trolling Netgear all over social media to stop them entrapping anyone else into buying this pathetic trash of an excuse for a product line.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you actually stop to think for a second, a problem with your system doesn't mean a systemic problem all over.  Yes, it's frustrating but a sample of one or a few over the entire population isn't particualrly significant.  Your problem may lie anyplace from bad hardware to something in the network connectivity, meaning anything from your network through the iSP to something at the servers.  We can't answer your question because we don't frickin' know, either.  How can we?  That's what the official support is for.  Use it or lose it.

Whining at the top of your lungs won't get you anyplace here.

pom_boy
Guide
Guide
Hi,
Can netgear please provide an indication of whether this is a system issue or issue at my end (which I don't think it is as I have changed nothing). I have opened a case and started a dialogue on this forum. It to date have received no feedback direct from netgear. Thanks
pom_boy
Guide
Guide
Btw this error occurs on the iOS app. System appears to work fine on Apple TV app.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I believe i Have just a few more actual answers than you have even attempted.  

Plus, you won't even use the official support - no forum can give you all the answers.  If you had bothered to even peruse the Contact Support link at the bottom you would have noticed the chat and email choices so you didn't have to succumb to your prejudices about people who don't sound like you.  If you want answers, you have to go to the place where they are.  We're just users here, with few exceptions (JamesC being the most prominent).

Twisters
Tutor
Tutor

I am experiencing this too.  My iOS app will not live stream from the Q, it live streams from the PRO with no issues.  I am also unable to live stream from the Q with Chrome browser as well.  Any updates on this?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have not been able to replicate any issues with streaming Arlo Q from any device. There was recently an iOS app update, be sure you have the latest version installed and try again.

ensanquined, Twisters

You seem to indicate having the same issue regardless of the browser/device used. What firmware version is your Arlo Q running? Currently, 1.8.3.0_9926 is the latest, check to make sure it is up to date. If possible, please post a screenshot of the error message you are receiving.

Additionally, for those experiencing this issue, who is your ISP and what are your download/upload speeds?

JamesC

luro
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have two Arlo Q cameras (both connected to the same wi-fi network). One is working fine.

The other Arlo Q I get the same message about streaming being down.

"We are sorry, the streaming service is currently down. Please try again."

I use the iOS app and it's up to date. I can't view the footage on either the iOS app or through a web browser.

I've tried resetting and power cycling. This issue has been present for several days.   

Have logged a request with support.

luro
Aspirant
Aspirant

My firmware is up to date and my bandwith is 100Mbit down 40 up.

pom_boy
Guide
Guide
Thanks for chiming in all those who had similar issues recently. As if by magic and with no action or changes by me, streaming is back up and running.
luro
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same for me - back up now.

pom_boy
Guide
Guide
And now it's down again.......,
SDoorjam
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just installed my camera for the first time on Sunday (3/12) and it worked fine but since 11:15 this morning (Eastern US time) I have been having problems.  It would show the live feed but there was no wifi icon and it wasn't recording.  The manual record button was disabled as well.  I emailed support but haven't heard back yet.  I finally found this thread and it was working again very briefly.  The wifi icon is now displayed but live feed and recording are not working - it clocks for a while with "Please wait" and then says "The camera failed to connect. Try again".  This happened at the same time as @pom_boy's post saying it was down again. And it continues to be down.  I am using the web browser and Android app.

SDoorjam
Aspirant
Aspirant

And now it's working - live feed and recording.  I'm hoping this is an unusual event because it's worthless if it can't stay active.

SDoorjam
Aspirant
Aspirant

And now it's not!  It stopped recording shortly after my last post but live feed still worked.  Now it says connection failed so nothing is working.  This is a big disappointment.  Is this the norm?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

pom_boy, SDoorjam

It sounds like you may be experiencing this issue due to poor signal strength or interference.

What does the WiFi indicator show for your Arlo Q? What is the LED behavior on the Arlo Q when you see this error message?

Consider relocating (temporarily) the camera close to your router to see if you experience the same behavior.

JamesC

ensanguined
Apprentice
Apprentice

James, this has nothing to do with WIFI signals or upload speeds, I assure you. My Arlo Q has a full 3 bar strength connection (it is located two metres away from my long range Ubiquiti access point). My ISP is Optus (I am in Australia) and I use Cable broadband that before this issue began never had a problem producing the live feed.

I am on firmware 1.8.3.0_9926 and have been since it came out (late December from memory). 

Same as with the other people here, it worked again for an hour or so a few days ago but dropped back out. So in the last two weeks I have been able to see the live feed for an hour, that's it.

Arlo Q Live Stream Error.JPG

pom_boy
Guide
Guide
Thanks for the reply JamesC
In my open support case for this issue I have noted that:
-there appears to be a known issue with Arlo q wireless performance. I think this is the key concern.
-there is only 7m between my router and the Arlo q
-there appears to be no correlation between number of signal bars in the app and streaming being available or not
-all our phones and iPads report full signal strength at the same location as the q
- we rely on the q when we are not at the property which is when we have it armed, and when there are no other wireless devices at the property, so inteference cant be an issue . To elaborate, when we are there, Arlo is disarmed, when we are not there, it is the only device on wifi.
- the way the error message is phrased suggests that the issue lies with netgear, rather than the client equipment or isp.

For what it's worth my ISP is Optus and internet performance is pretty strong- enough to reliably support Netflix and Fetch streaming.

I accept that wifi performance of the q is better when it is right next to the router as I have performed this test before. However it is not a realistic proposition to move the camera or router in the long term. Conversely it is reasonable to expect reliable wifi performance from the Arlo q at only 7m from the router with only two very lightweight plasterboard walls between the router and camera.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

It seems you both indicate your ISP as Optus...this could be the common factor with the issue. What is the case number you have open with support? I will review your case and escalate this issue.

JamesC