Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 In Conversation
Birdwatch
Guide
Guide

Hello everyone,

I just purchased the Arlo q because it is something I can leave plugged in and have the ability to talk and listen.  My only problem is the speaker volume is horrible and when you talk it is broken up and garbled not all the time though and if you have the TV on forget it you won't hear a thing. The mic cuts out when speaking so I don’t even know half the time if they can even hear me on the other end. 

The mic would work sometimes on the iphone and disconnects sometimes when trying to use it.

What I would like to see if they can have the mic record what you are saying and when the mic button is released you would be able to hear what you said and wait for a response from the other end...  As of right now I try to talk but I can't hear it on the other end.

This unit is very expensive but I am not sure if it’s worth it.  The mic and speaker is needs a lot of work in my opinion.

22 REPLIES 22
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't speak definitively but two things I'd try:

1) reset the camera using the reset button until the camera clicks and the LED flashes amber.  Resync.

2) move the camera to various locations to see if it works better due to either sound levels or WiFi connection.

If neither helps, consider swapping it at the store for another - maybe it's just bad.

Birdwatch
Guide
Guide
I've tried no good. Is it normal for the mic to cut out after you let go of the talk button?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Birdwatch wrote:
I've tried no good. Is it normal for the mic to cut out after you let go of the talk button?

TMK, the talk button for you must be held to talk at the camera end... the mic at the camera to you is always live.

Didn't see, but if using Chrome , there's been a bit of trouble with audio on that browser...try Fire Fox

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Birdwatch
Guide
Guide
Ok.... I'll try and explain.

Using iPhone, latest version up to date.
When I use the talk button I hold it down and speak but the mic will cut out as soon as I release the button. I can't hear what I just said over the camera. The mic comes back on when it's finished. I have no clue if they can even hear me. I would like for the mic to stay on the camera to hear what was just said over the speaker to confirm what was just said.

I hope this helps.... Can some confirm for me if they can hear them self talk after speaking... That would be great.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Birdwatch wrote:

Using iPhone, latest version up to date.
When I use the talk button I hold it down and speak but the mic will cut out as soon as I release the button. I can't hear what I just said over the camera. The mic comes back on when it's finished. I have no clue if they can even hear me. I would like for the mic to stay on the camera to hear what was just said over the speaker to confirm what was just said.

I hope this helps.... Can some confirm for me if they can hear them self talk after speaking... That would be great.

I believe what your saying is right ( if I understand you correctly ) ... AND can tell you from my testings the the recorded video ( during audio chat ) DOES NOT contain what you say ( the sending user ).

As to hearing yourself, there was a couple of secs delay, so as to hearing myself, yes... when the camera was close enough... you may have to move the cam closer and test yrself.

I tested my camera with a tape recorder at the far end... and then compared same to the video and what I said ( now , mind you that this was done back in early 2016 and not sure if SW updates have changed anything  since I haven't retested )

Also, BTW, I haven't used the audio on the Q in at least a few months as it's current location is inside and don't like the open mic situation being recorded but when replaced outside will be running it again.

Morse is faster than texting!
Birdwatch
Guide
Guide

Thank you for the reply....

I tried calling tech support to ask a simple question regarding the microphone on the camera.  Forget it, I think I was talking to someone in asia that didn't know what I was talking about.  I tried explaining it to her but I just gave up.

All I want to know if someone else has the same problem as I do or am I the only one having this issue where the microphone would cut out on the camera end to where I can't hear what was just spoken using the iphone.

I want to know if this is normal or not for the mic to cut out on the camera end after initiating a speak command not while holding down the mic button it's after when you LET GO using the iphone app.  The mic only cuts out as long as the speak command and then it would come back on.  This is frustrating because I have no idea if my speak command went through on the camera end.  I have family member saying they heard nothing at times.  This is a problem I can't hear anything either on the iphone if my speak command went through.

I spent alot of money on arlo products... 

Where are all the arlo q reps on hear?  This needs attention!

Sensei,

Thanks for trying to help....

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Birdwatch,

Please let me know the case number you have open with support. I will review your case and offer any feedback that I can and escalate the case if necessary.

If you prefer, you can send me this information in a private message.

Thank you,

JamesC

Birdwatch
Guide
Guide

Hi James,

The case number is 27462309.

Things i've tried...

Reset / Re-install

Delete app on iphone and re-install

Based on my previous post I would like to know if the problem / experience I am having is normal functionality or not?

I cannot verify what I am saying after using the mic feature because it cuts out during transmission to the camera.  Basically I don't even know if it went through because the mic cuts out (you don't hear anything on the phone) every time after you speak using the mic.

Thanks

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Birdwatch,

I tested this on an iOS device and was not able to replicate what you are describing. I was able to transmit complete sentences without any cutting out/loss of audio.

A couple points of clarification to further isolate:

-What iOS model/iOS version are you running?

-Are you on your mobile data connection or WiFi when this happens? Is there any difference between the two?

-What is the signal strength of your Arlo Q? If you place the Arlo Q closer to your router (temporarily to improve signal strength) do you get the same results?

-Who is your ISP and what is your download/upload speeds?

JamesC

Birdwatch
Guide
Guide

Hi James,

• IOS 10 and previous version not sure what it was prior to 10
  • iphone 6+
  • Doesn't matter what im on mobile or wifi still happens
  • Signal strenght full bars....
  • I moved the q in a few places still happens
  • Secable 30 down and 3 up
  • My router Netgear Nighthawk x4s - ac2600

I tried a first gen ipad mini and the mic button didn't even work.... speaker worked though

Arlo version = 2.1.3

IOS 9.3.2 on mini

Thanks

Birdwatch
Guide
Guide

Hi James,

anyway I can email you a video showing an example of the problem?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Birdwatch,

Attach this information to the case number you provided above and I will escalate your support case.

Thank you,

JamesC

Birdwatch
Guide
Guide
Hi James,
Can you explain how to do this? Thanks
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Birdwatch,

I have escalated your support case. Someone from the Arlo Support Team will reach out to you for further investigation of the issue.

JamesC

skynet11
Star
Star

Has there been a resolve to the issue as described ?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

skynet11,

Are you getting low volume or no volume at all through the Arlo Q speaker? Have you tried increasing the speaker volume for your Arlo Q?

Please let us know more about the issue and what you have tried.

JamesC

rpagano8
Aspirant
Aspirant

Was Birdwatch able to get an answer to a fix for her issues with the speaker volume? Maybe I have a separate issue: When my device records, the volume at which it records is near inaudible during playback. Even when people are 3'-5' fromt eh camera. Is there a way to fix this?

HW VersionVMC3040r6
Serial Number4CD262SB12E5E
Firmware1.8.3.0_9926
Various OS - IE 10 on Windows 7 Enterprise, Chrome version 49.0.2623.112 on MacBook, and iPhone 5s
skynet11
Star
Star

I'm thinking you may need to go into the settings and adjust the level of audio to maximise the overall volume levels.

Hope this answers your question as I understood it.

skynet11
Star
Star

Sorry for the delayed response, James.

I don't suspect the issus I have is related to low volume control, as I have the audio level at 100%.

The issue is an inability to hear audiable responses being spoken into the camera.   Disconnection between the Arlo App, occurs mostly because of buffering affect, or complete loss of signal when out of range of my home network, particularly when away from home and connected via my 4G cell phone network.  I find when away from home and connected to my moble network, the phone apparently still tries to connect to the wifi network at my home creating a disruption of sevice within the Arlo camera App. This disruption thus further hampers the overall capabilities of the camera/Mic.

Note:  I have tried to take steps to prevent my cell phones attempts to connect to Wifi. through the settings on the phone, but with negative results.  Eg.  The forget network method, and the disabling of Wi-fi network scan options have not been sucessful for some unknow reason.

The speaker/Microphone function have not been reliable because of these above mentioned reasons are my thoughts, and while I have attemppted to get some resolve to the issue by having this concern esclated to the next level, it appears to have fallen on deaf ears.

While I have received an e-mail a while back from an Arlo staff member regarding my concerns, I have yet to hear anyhing further back from Arlo in response to a diagnosis/resolve of the problem.  I believe this is standard operating procedure when a specific explanation is not necessarily available, this judging by others who have experienced  similar response to their complaints. Is this Arlo at its best? lol

Respectfully,

Al

BIGDADDYT505
Tutor
Tutor
The issue I have is I can communicate fine!, but when I release the button to hear what the other end is saying, it's so low I can't head it. But the other day it worked prefect...so that tells me it's am issue worth firmware..my nest camera worked perfectly but the Arlo is not working like I think they meant for it to work. (Like a walkie talkie) other than that I love the cameras..
mcomet
Initiate
Initiate

I am having similar issue.  I can hear audio fine at first with my  iPhone 6 Plus.  When I press the microphone the audio I am listening to drops and then remains dropped.  From what I can tell it is switching from "speaker" mode on the phone to "handheld".  If I put it up to my ear like a phone I can hear it that way only from then on until I disconnect/reconnect to camera.  This is with the current version of ios 10.  Seems like a pretty obvious bug.

BIGDADDYT505
Tutor
Tutor
I have already called them until I was blue in the face they've done nothing to rectify it but if you keep a Bluetooth in your ear it works perfectly other than that I love the cameras