Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q FAQs?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Nethalite
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi there I am wondering if the camera can be used to capture recording from inside a house viewing outside? I saw a photo of a arlo q place inside in front of a window and point out. I am not sure if they have motion recording or live recording but I would like to know if the camera can be used this way without being outside. Also is there a lag time recording since the wireless battery operated arlo camera seem to have a 3-5 second delay from some of the review that I read and wondering if the arlo-q has this issue too?
3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, you can use a Q to record through a window.  I use mine that way. The motion detection system is pixel-based rather than IR so the glass doesn't block motion. Be sure to disable night vision so the IR illuminators don't reflect off the glass, blinding the camera.  I think the Q works much better in low, nighttime light than the wireless cameras without night vision.

It's be said that positioning the Q away from the glass can cause detection problems so mount the camera close to the glass.

Nethalite
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hmm how far would you say the motion sensor would start recording? I went out and picked one up since you mentioned it used pixel motion recording instead of infrared. But the only problem is it doesn't record at the edges of the camera. Not sure is its my seniors or distance.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can set up detection zones with the Q (check out Settings, My Devices, the Q camera).  The camera is VERY wide angle (130 degrees, comparable to a 10mm fisheye lens on a 35mm/full-frame DSLR) which is part of the reason for it being an indoor camera (the wireless cameras have a 110 degree lens).  As such, the image quality for motion detection at the edges may not be as good as the rest of the view, making it hard to determine motion.  Also the distance at the edges may be very large so you may need a large movement or subject to be able to reliably pick it up.