Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ARLO Q powers down after number of days

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
HurdyGurdy
Star
Star

2 month old arlo q started developing a strange pattern of power downs. Randomly after a few days the unit just shuts down.

When i remove and reinsert USB cable the Q comes hapily alive again but some random count of days later it again shuts itself down.

It is plugged into a permanent active usb port on my PC monitor, so to test I now moved it to another permanent powered usb output nearby in my router ( don't have a spare socket anywhere near to dedicated to it)

Anyone else observed this before ?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I believe Jeff ( above ) is right...the Q takes an adapter that puts out 1.5 or 2a at 5v....

The fact your attempting to run it off of a computer usb port is prob your issue.  Most computer ports max out at 1/2a and they do shut down if the current draw becomes to high for them ( self protection ).

So it may be at times when the camera comes on with the IR illuminators, the usb port goes offline.

An easy test is to use the original adapter or one with at least 2a output... see if it comes off line while in a real adapter.like it was designed

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Haven't tried this but part of the issue may be the amount of current available from those ports.  I forget what the Q power supply is rated for but it may be as high as 2 amps - are these ports rated for that amount?

HurdyGurdy
Star
Star

good question - not sure; but what troubles me is that it works for 4-5 consecutive days and then only fails ?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I believe Jeff ( above ) is right...the Q takes an adapter that puts out 1.5 or 2a at 5v....

The fact your attempting to run it off of a computer usb port is prob your issue.  Most computer ports max out at 1/2a and they do shut down if the current draw becomes to high for them ( self protection ).

So it may be at times when the camera comes on with the IR illuminators, the usb port goes offline.

An easy test is to use the original adapter or one with at least 2a output... see if it comes off line while in a real adapter.like it was designed

Morse is faster than texting!
HurdyGurdy
Star
Star

Thanks - trying a separate powered port on router which is higher output as is supposed to drive external equipment

Failing that will reshuffle my power sockets to use the wall power and report back ! 

NickTarn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi my Arlo Q does the same thing and is wired to a usb adapter running on the mains.

it runs fine for 4-5 days then goes offline. I can restore it by unplugging it and plugging back in but this is no use if I am away.

Regards

Nick

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Open a case using the Contact Support link at the bottom here.

HurdyGurdy
Star
Star

Quick update few weeks after moving to a different powered  port - all stable now !