Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
wheelson8
Follower
Follower

I'm having some serious issues with watching the CVR recordings on my Arlo Q. 90% of the videos either have no sound and/or lots of video lag. Lots as in over 10+ secs of person being in one spot not moving, then same person appears in another totally different spot. Tried reading some threads and it seems lots of people are having the same issues here. I tried turning off then switching on the camera and that seems to have fixed the issue for a couple of hours. Then the a few hours later, there is no sound. Then 30 min after that, video lag. Then after that, nothing is being recorded. Does anyone have a fix to this issue? Extremely frustrating as these cameras aren't cheap and on top of that, I'm shelling out extra money for unreliable recordings. Someone please help.

Thanks

53 REPLIES 53
Liz_yates
Guide
Guide
I was really frustrated, but i took a deep breathe and bought a timer for each camera, i have them set for every 6 hours, they shut off for 1 minute and turn back on...... since then i have had 0 issues! I hope they figure something out soon, then I'll use my timers for lights and scentsy. Hope this helps.
Mr_Breezey
Tutor
Tutor

OMG Im in the same boat as you are. No audio what so ever, and everyone recorded looks like there doing some crazy matrix style walking. This needs to be fixed ASAP. I have had 6 months of service and all six months have not been what I agreed to pay for. Either Netgear fixes this issue or there going to need to pay me back and lawyer up for lying to people and selling nothing but bull**bleep** to consumers. Im tired of these large companies thinking they can just do as they please. they may be large, but they wont be **bleep** if we simply dont use them anymore.. All we need to do is apply that to two weeks and watch there stocks crumble. They will be crawling back to us little guys then 

sewey123
Initiate
Initiate

so just reset the camera's using a timer?  not the base.

Thanks in advance & yes very frustrating

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Q cameras don't use a base.

Liz_yates
Guide
Guide
Yep! I plugged the timer into the wall, then plugged the camera into the timer. I set it to shut off for 1 minute (minimum amount of time a could). Then turn back on. I have this set to happen 4 times a day. (Every 6 hours)

So every 6 hours i have a 1 minute blank spot. Other then that i have sound, and quality picture with minimal glitching.
fattyporkbelly
Tutor
Tutor
Any fix for this memory leak issue?
Not fun to reset my two Arlo Q's every few hours.
fattyporkbelly
Tutor
Tutor
Same issue here
fattyporkbelly
Tutor
Tutor
Trying the same solution here...
unclev
Star
Star
I have the same issue here. These cameras are pretty much useless I still can't believe people actually buy these I hope people come here and read this information so they don't buy these cameras and get frustrated like all of us are.
quarkdoll
Apprentice
Apprentice

Everyone who feels like this should make sure they write a review on Amazon including a pointer to read these forums.

unclev
Star
Star
That is a very good idea this needs to get visibility so they can Rectify this
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@quarkdoll wrote:

Everyone who feels like this should make sure they write a review on Amazon including a pointer to read these forums.

Better yet, open a case with support here to actually get it fixed.

quarkdoll
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jguerdatwrote:

@quarkdollwrote:

Better yet, open a case with support here to actually get it fixed.

Wow. After years and years of people complaining about the same thing on the same threads about geofencing, about CVR, about ...; with nary a firmware update in the past 9+ months (yes, yes - I'm sure they're making all the fixes on the back end); in the very thread where the general consensus (despite these magical cases having been opened by people in this thread) to address the issue is to go to Home Depot and buy timers to interrupt the electricity you have the gall to write "actually get it fixed."   Beautiful.

At this point, it seems like the "better yet" is to induce Netgear to focus greater development effort on buggy products by making sure the public is aware of these issues before they give money to Netgear.

Liz_yates
Guide
Guide
I have an open case, I've had one since day one. I have had 0 support, or contact with arlo since my case was filed. Funny, i already reviewed it as well. Im a business owner, and sadly this kind of bs is all the more common, so i buck it up... do the best i can with what i can, and try to help others, at least $40 in timers saves extreme aggravation until this is fixed...... I was done sitting around getting mad. Is it frustrating yes. Do i have faith that someday netgear will figure this out??? Yes i do, but i do think If they start seeing massive negative feedback they may find Some new found motivation to get to the bottom of this.
ensanguined
Apprentice
Apprentice
Jguerdat you sycophantic wannabe Netgear employee, be quiet mate.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Right back atcha, mate. I'm retired IT and don't want a job, especially dealing with certain morons. I retired before I killed one.

Unless you lean on support, it will seem to be a low priority. Anyone who has ever done support understands that. Yes, I understand that some have cases and haven't had success yet but has everyone tried?

Smxcan
Apprentice
Apprentice
It looks like Netgear attempted to fix this issue with a firmware upgrade on Feb 22:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Release-Notes-Arlo-Q-Q-FW-1-8-3-2-17494-23nd...

But it caused an even bigger problem with the time/audio that’s impacting even more people:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Q/Arlo-q-shows-wrong-clip-length/m-p/1512060#M6087
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A firmware update for Arlo Q/Q+ was released recently. This firmware update addressed several bugs that could result in the behavior being discussed here. Check your Arlo Q/Q+ firmware version to be sure you are up to date with the latest version: Firmware Release Notes

If you are still experiencing an issue please contact the Arlo Support Team and open and case.

JamesC

unclev
Star
Star
Just an FYI. These problems started occurring when the firmware was upgraded on the actual cameras and when the application for Android was updated. It has still not been resolved. And this also happens with random cameras one day a camera is working then it's not and I have multiple cameras so that just proves that it is on the end of Netgear at their servers.
MrMason
Star
Star

Hello JamesC,

I have received the latest firmware (1.8.3.2_17494), and it does not fix this issue.

It's still the same, but with a couple of new faults/ errors.

I have an open case at Netgear Support since September 2017, but I guess Netgear is not in a hurry to help their customers. . .

unclev
Star
Star
The issue is not resolved. As I will restate I have multiple cameras. Intermittently it will occur on different cameras. For example one day one of my camera's is working fine and then the next day it exhibits the problem. This proves it is on netgear's end and it is quite evident that they cannot resolve the issue. Once again this truly shows how they approach support for their customers. I will reiterate that there are a lot of other great options besides Arlo out there that actually function the way they should.
ArloJesse
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm still having major problems with the Arlo Q. Last week, it was recording for 5 hours and 10 seconds vs the assigned recording time of two minutes. Yesterday (Feb. 28th), it worked correctly and I assumed it was fixed. But this morning, it was incorrect again showing 4 hours and 10 seconds instead of the two minutes that I selected for recording. Arlo really needs to fix this problem. I've already read many complaints about people switching to Samsung or others.

ArloJesse
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was thinking of signing up for the CVR recording service but, after reading all the problems with it - I don't think it's worth it. Thanks for letting us know!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not CVR. It's recordings seeming to be ours long but really only the proper amount of time. It's a display thing.

MrMason
Star
Star
😄 working at Netgear I guess, because they also don't know what they are doing. . . .