Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
wheelson8
Follower
Follower

I'm having some serious issues with watching the CVR recordings on my Arlo Q. 90% of the videos either have no sound and/or lots of video lag. Lots as in over 10+ secs of person being in one spot not moving, then same person appears in another totally different spot. Tried reading some threads and it seems lots of people are having the same issues here. I tried turning off then switching on the camera and that seems to have fixed the issue for a couple of hours. Then the a few hours later, there is no sound. Then 30 min after that, video lag. Then after that, nothing is being recorded. Does anyone have a fix to this issue? Extremely frustrating as these cameras aren't cheap and on top of that, I'm shelling out extra money for unreliable recordings. Someone please help.

Thanks

53 REPLIES 53
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

All I can say to attempt to fix the issue by re-setting the Q...

if the reset doesn't work, try contacting Netgear Support

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

wheelson8,

How far away from your router is the camera? Does the camera widget (when logged in to your account) show full signal strength?

JamesC

Cruss20
Guide
Guide
I've been having the same issue. I've even reset everything and reinstalled the Q on my phone and it still does it.
Cruss20
Guide
Guide
Plus at one point, it was only a few feet from my router. (40mb download/ 5mb upload)
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering is currently investigating this issue. I will post an update when I have more information.

JamesC

LutfiZ
Initiate
Initiate

Hello James,

i also have have the same problem where the sound is heard and recorded but no the video is not recorded. In my case, the cam is pointed at the door and I can hear myself unlock the door and walk in but the video is not updated. 

Please help. 

Thanks 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

LutfiZ,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Marc123
Initiate
Initiate

Having the same problem. Resetting it will fix it for awhile. It's very annoying and makes this camera useless. 

quarkdoll
Apprentice
Apprentice

Duplicate of this issue:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Q/Horrible-Arlo-Q-stops-CVR-audio-rec-amp-ARLO-Support-says-LI...

Seems generally insane that "engineering" has been investigating this issue for ~6 weeks with no fix.

ArloReallySucks
Star
Star

I have the same issue. Thought I try CVR because geofencing does not work as expected, but got dissapointed again, because CVR does not work either.

ArloReallySucks
Star
Star

Any news? Your answer was a month ago. . .

ArloReallySucks
Star
Star

My guess it is a memory leak in the camera software, because pulling the power makes it working for approx 15-16 hours, then it starts recording with lousy quality. This is every day.

100% signal quality to router and a 100/100 MBit connection to internet.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Doesn't happen like that here whether with CVR or not.  It may be a faulty camera.  Have you opened a case with support?

ArloReallySucks
Star
Star

No, no case with support yet. My experience with Netgear Support is not highly rated, because they have not fixed geofencing after almost a year now, but maybe I have to give it a try again. Smiley Sad

That's why I thought I would give CVR a try instead, and got dissapointed again.

quarkdoll
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have 4 Qs, bought at separate times (so likely not of a same 'problem' lot.) which all will at some point become 'device not connected' in the Devices web view if the page is left open for an hour and change (not even with the cameras' streams being bounced back to the browser.) (... and before you say it, it's a reliable, wide pipe, connection to the internet that i'm using all day long myself, without network issues.)

At the same time, we have Netgear engineering that can't, after more than a year, get geofencing to work - a widely implemented and working technology in the rest of the technology sector - and that still gets multiple threads of people reporting camera drop out; further (and it's hard to tell since they don't expose their bug reporting system, but...) in my perusing of the forums these past months, i haven't yet seen a bug report that has been reported solved as an engineering fix (as opposed to user error being corrected.)

We have one public facing guy (James C) that seems to care and promises to deliver engineering updates, but delivers nothing after weeks and months.

So:

• Door A: a well demonstrated flagging engineering effort is continuing to deliver error-prone software
  • Door B: all 4 of the cameras running their latest firmware are actually physically defective

Which door would you really think?

ArloReallySucks
Star
Star

Door A, I would say.

So I am not alone with these non working cameras, good to know. . .

Woofies_1919
Initiate
Initiate

Having the same issue. Getting ready to try a different camera. What good is a camera in a business if sound is not working and video is in and out. Just about done with this camera.

ensanguined
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same, I hope prospective buyers read these forums before deciding whether to buy any product from Netgear's misleading and deceptive, useless, frustrating Arlo range. My CVR recordings are absolutely unwatchable, and have been for months. I despise Netgear, it's support team, it's forum representatives...everything about it, because of how useless these cameras have been.

Liz_yates
Guide
Guide
Soo I bought timers off of amazon $10 apiece, after I saw another frustrated customers comment... I have them set to shut off for 1 minute every 6 hours... and I have perfect sound, video, and very little lag! Once arlo figures it out ill have 4 timers to put to use with my scentsys lol.... anywho worked for me, doesn't say much about netgear and arlo...... I bought 4 cameras with a $500 dvr plan total... and it's completely WORTHLESS without these timers. Hope it helps
Liz
nordstrm
Guide
Guide
So it turns out there is an issue with CVR. They had me cancel my subscription and said they would be in touch when it was fixed. Once I cancelled, it works great on triggered recordings and manual..oh, and magically my echo show now works to show the arlo Baby and the arlo Q, which NEVER worked before. So CVR is just broken and the root of many problems, it seems... and it's a KNOWN issue to netgear support
quarkdoll
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC wrote:

Engineering is currently investigating this issue. I will post an update when I have more information.

JamesC

Any information come to light in the five and a half months since you wrote this which you can update us with?

nordstrm
Guide
Guide
Now that I removed the CVR none of my motion or audio triggered recordings work on my arlo Baby. This is frustrating.
Vidcamz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue here with CVR. After a few hours of use extremely bad video artifacting, missing and dropped frames and audio just stops recording. Restarting camera seems to help for a bit but the problems return. Extremely good Wi-Fi and internet speed in camera location. 

ensanguined
Apprentice
Apprentice

wrote:

Same issue here with CVR. After a few hours of use extremely bad video artifacting, missing and dropped frames and audio just stops recording. Restarting camera seems to help for a bit but the problems return. Extremely good Wi-Fi and internet speed in camera location. 

Truly a trash product (both the ALRO Q and CVR). Nothing better than needing to urgently view CVR footage only to find that it just hasn't recorded anything for a whole day, even with the camera connected and working. Guess we won't know what happened during that emergency! Then when it is recording the image looks fine only when static and any movement brings out the ghosts and it all becomes a blur of people having conniptions. Live View never works for me either so WHAT THE &*!@ DOES THIS PRODUCT ACTUALLY DO!?